10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 7:28 PM by kingfish

Issue with FirePro M5100 vbios after CCC prompted an update? No longer the right card, heavily throttled, etc

christinethefoxy

two or three days ago catalyst control center prompted me about an update.

I figured its official pushed out from AMD, so it must be for my card/driver combination and that it was safe to proceed.

this was updating as far as i could tell from the installation list everything AMD related.

AND this is where the issues happened. it updated the driver from 14.502.XXXXX to something in the 15.xxx.xxxx range, updated CCC to 15.7.

ALONG with this, it also updated the Vbios of the card to some weird version full of "webdings" as the version title.

the card now no longer goes above 400mhz, i tried to roll back the driver, but it does no good : rolling back to the dell supplied driver changes everything other than the vbios... so the card still reports incorrectly, vbios is still webdings, still cant get over 400mhz, and now all the powerplay/enduro options in the CCC are blank.

How do i revert this back to the way it came ?

The laptop is only a month and a half old, and i hate to think i need to call dell and get the gpu replaced because of a bad update pushed out from AMD's CCC.

For reference here is the 'new' output of the cards vbios

• Re: Issue with FirePro M5100 vbios after CCC prompted an update? No longer the right card, heavily throttled, etc
          kingfish

Use system restore to a point before you tried the update. When you get back the CCC options, DISABLE check for new drivers. Laptops with Switchable graphics do not update as a desktop does, unless you have only one graphics chip (ie..no switchable graphics). And where did you get this message to update the Vbios?

• Re: Issue with FirePro M5100 vbios after CCC prompted an update? No longer the right card, heavily throttled, etc
              christinethefoxy

i did not get a notification to update the Vbios directly, Nor did i update them manually

I simply noticed that before installing CCC update the card was reporting a bios in the 14.5xxx range more or less matching the shipping driver version number

After the CCC its now webdings for the bios version, its not even readable. IF i roll back to the driver that shipped with the computer, or totally remove all AMD software and re install it with the dell vendor supplied driver version, everything else reports properly, but the VBios  reports 15.xxx, still have no power play, still have no enduro options.

Also at this point, if you cannot update the GPU driver for the laptops the same way as with a desktop, why give the option for them to update through the application at all ? shouldn't there be some smart detection of the mobile specific driver, and the mobile gpu and decide to NOT push or offer the update ?

kingfish

I have no idea what you're talking about. Did some application you installed tell you that you needed to install a new "VBIOS"?? Updating graphics card drivers have nothing to do with Vbios...totally different. Where are you reading your Vbios is 15.xxxx?

Screenshot_1.png

Since you supplied no information about your laptop..I'll guess it's not a Sony or Toshiba and you have switchable Intel + Amd graphics.

Laptops Installing drivers on switchable Intel + AMD graphics

christinethefoxy

I dont know why i have this issue on forums of people not actually reading the things i type out so i will outline this in a list format. perhaps its the way i word things, or perhaps i dont describe them properly as to convey the issue at hand. none the less here is the list :

1. This Laptop is a Dell Precision M4800, purchased in the last week of march of 2015, information i should have provided at the start, this is my fault.

2. As stated nothing in the CCC application suit mentioned anything about the VBIOS needing an update, or that it would be receiving one, and there was no indication this would be altered during the installation process either.

3. Because i am paranoid after lots of issues with driver, bios, vbios update issues in the past with previous dell and ibm mobile systems i use other programs to directly monitor what version i am running before and after every update, and i have not manually updated a driver in a number of years : i wait until the currently installed driver notifies me and allow it to run its own routine and self update.

4. the attached image from my first posting shows i was using GPU-Z to monitor not only the clocks, and driver version but also the Vbios version.

5. I am aware that updating the driver SHOULD NOT have an impact on any VBIOS, but as you can see from my system : it drastically changed the BIOS version from something with numbers in fact, to something      with just broken unicode symbols.

a. I will include a screen shot of the same application with no gpu drivers installed other than the basic windows VGA adapter

6. i have wiped the AMD and intel drivers from the system, again, and am attempting to re-install them (via dells command client update) i will then capture the image of the same windows in CCC as you showed, and also the tabs for powerplay/enduro and show that they are blank.

7. i have already done (6) before and the results were as follows : all things get detected properly. other than the Vbios which reports up in the 15.xxx now.

a. Powerplay options and drop down radio buttons are blank with no selections.

b. Enduro options are also blank in the dropdowns.

c. Using any GPU intensive application that is greenlighted in the application switching section as using the high performance GPU will only run at a maximum of 400mhz on the core and like 150mhz on the           memory, such as Revit, Modo 901, or Solidworks 2014.

i. Attempting games, and distributed protein folding software on the GPU also yields the same results of a max of 400mhz instead of 775 for the core and 1150 or so for the memory. Performance in any                     application relying on the discrete GPU is now worse than that of the integrated card

EDITS

After reinstalling the intel shipping driver, and the AMD shipping driver i am greeted with 0 options and almost no drivers installed for the FirePro m5100 as noted in the images attached #2 and #3

amd_chris

Hi Chris,

Just to say, from what you have posted so far it looks like you are using Radeon drivers on a FirePro GPU build. You should uninstall the drivers you currently have and visit the following link to download the correct drivers.

Download Drivers

Here is a screenshot of the options you should select and lastly choose the OS version and hit "Display Results". That will take you to the correct page for the drivers which your system needs to correctly run the W5100M.

Driver.jpg

christinethefoxy

i wanted to follow up noticing some things after you all kindly directed me to the AMD official Drivers for this computer :

1. I had been using the Dell Supplied (on disk and website) driver package KRV3R_WN32_14.502.1005.1002_A07.EXE

2. after browsing around on dells website i found at least one other person having the exact same issues I was, with that specific driver above (oddly the only one from dell, and      newer than the one direct from AMD) namely throttling and missing power management/ errors in reporting bios versions.

• the dell version of the software is apparently broken beyond belief and just simply does not support the power saving features (what ? it was a touted feature of the laptop). the official position from dell for the m4800 is to just disable the integrated card all together and force the system to run the AMD card all the time. It (powerplay in bios) was even disabled on mine from the factory the day i received the shipment

• this software problem is why the CCC managed to find an update for an r9 m200x and think it could be applied to the firepro M5100, and why there were all the issues with power options being blank, and why i guess it installed 15.7 instead of the professional oriented control centre.

• the version here from the AMD website is 14.3xx and once installed seemed to alleviate most issues. GPU now reports proper frequencies, scales as it should, and has all the power features listed with working drop downs, and the Vbios is no longer reporting in webdings/symbols.

I fail to understand why the supposed "official package" from dell included crippled drivers to begin with, especially on a middle range workstation, which is not an AMD issue but a dell one. And quite infuriating i might add when you purchase a laptop that costs about a third as much as a small new car.

1 of 1 people found this helpful