1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 18, 2015 2:50 AM by jman5681

PC does not start with AMD Radeon HD 6870!

vladhdover9000

Good day! Let me start by thanking everyone about to read and help me with this issue! Its an odd one!

Originally I bought an Alienware PC it came with Radeon HD 6870. I soon upgraded to Evga Nvidia GTX 590, I have used it for about 4 years untill It begun overheating. Because of that I put the Radeon HD 6870 back in. The hardrive makes its usual sound, but the screen is black, there is no windows sounds so the windows is not booting up. Originally I thought that Radeon was simply dead and took it back to my friends house to double check, at my friends house the Radeon works flawlessly, it starts up and is capable of high end gaming without overheating. Now I suspected it may have been faulty powersupply not delivering enough power, I have tested two different once with same result, not to mention the one at my friends house was weaker Power supply then ether one of mine. OTHER videocards, I tested Nvidia GTS 250 and Evga Nvidia GTX 590 work fine, I also tested super weak radeon card with also worked.

Its worth mentioning that the Radeon does not work on the second PC i own ether, while other videocards do. So technically Radeon ONLY works for my friend, but on BOTH of his PC's!

Another thing worth mentioning that it doesn't seem to be a software issue, as we brought my friends Hardrive and plugged it in along the Radeon into my PC to no effect.

I did not make any upgrades to my PC besides a faulty soundcard. Powesupply was replaced at some point to exact same one from the manufacturer. I cant guarantee its not at fault, but would be odd considering more powerful video cards like Evga Nvidia GTX 590 still works.

I have uninstalled all drivers for fresh connect. I have tried using both of its dvi ports and its HDMI port. I preinstalled AMD drivers for a different radeon card, then connected it with drivers installed, to no effect.

In anycase I am completely out of ideas, the whole situation seems bizarre to me.

I will include my friends PC stats as well. I dont understand the issue at all. Considering the PC originally was build for that videocard AND it works for my friend.

Here are my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description  Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name ZERO-PC

System Manufacturer Alienware

System Model Aurora-R3

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Alienware A06, 5/25/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name Zero-PC\Zero

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB

Available Physical Memory 13.3 GB

Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 29.4 GB

Page File Space 16.0 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Here are my friends specs:

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate
      Version6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
      Other OS DescriptionNot Available
      OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
      System NameIMPERIUM
      System ManufacturerSystem manufacturer
      System ModelSystem Product Name
      System Typex64-based PC
      ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. 0506, 12/30/2009
      SMBIOS Version2.5
      Windows DirectoryC:\Windows
      System DirectoryC:\Windows\system32
      Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume1
      LocaleUnited States
      Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "6.1.7601.17514"
      User NameImperium\Wrath
      Time ZoneEastern Daylight Time
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM)13.0 GB
      Total Physical Memory13.0 GB
      Available Physical Memory9.46 GB
      Total Virtual Memory26.0 GB
      Available Virtual Memory22.0 GB
      Page File Space13.0 GB
      Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
        • Re: PC does not start with AMD Radeon HD 6870!
          jman5681

I am having the same exact problem.  I'm not sure if anything changed when it started happening.  I have done 3 fresh installs of Windows 7 and have tried many drivers for the 6870.  I cannot even get Catalyst Center to open because it tells me I have no settings that can be changed with it even though I am using a AMD GPU.  It's causing me to rip my hair out.