AnsweredAssumed Answered

ASUS r7 260X random freezing and BSODs

Question asked by tragicles on Jul 11, 2015

Hi, I have an ASUS Radeon r7 260X DirectCU II 2GB OC which is a brilliant card apart from the constant freezing and crashing I have been experiencing. Upon taking it to the retailer they tested it for several hours with a stress test and all was good, so I picked up the card put it back in my PC and reformatted + installed 15.7 drivers. It was working fine until it froze while browsing reddit (no other tabs, no audio, no games). I restarted the PC and several minutes later a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD occurred. While playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive it freezes at least 3 times in one competitive match (45-60 minutes). Running 3DMark tests (even Fire Strike 4K) ran fine with no crashes, freezes or artifacts but with obvious frame drops which wasn't the concern. The RAM is fine, it passed 8 tests on memtest. I am wondering if this has something to do with the northbridge getting hot although my CPU rarely hits 45 degrees celcius (FX8320 and ASUS M5A97 r2.0). I have flashed the card several times, with ASUS official BIOSes, custom ones found on forums and right now its using the Sapphire r7 260x BIOS which is the most stable+cool out of all BIOSes I've tried.

Outcomes