10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2015 10:26 PM by Thanny

Tested: AMD's Frame Rate Target Control

kingfish

Nice article here...looks like AMD hit a home run

Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) is a
      new option in AMD’s Catalyst Control Center that lets you set a maximum
      frame rate between 55 frames per second and 95 frames per second (fps)
      for the majority of DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 games. The message from
      AMD is that FRTC is a triple threat of benefits: You’ll dramatically
      reduce your video card’s power consumption, decrease fan noise, and
      lower the operating temps of your GPU.

Why AMD’s Frame Rate Targeting Control exists

Wait, back up. Why on Gaben’s green earth would we PC gamers—who are
      addicted to stunning eye candy and high frame rates—want to
      limit our fps? Well, there are a ton of games out there that hit
      super-high frame rates on modern video cards. Your PC is effectively
      throwing them away and needlessly taxing your video card on three
      fronts: Power, noise, and temperature. This wasteful behavior prompted
      AMD to design FRTC.

ARTICLE

• Re: Tested: AMD's Frame Rate Target Control
          traceman

You are EXACTLY right, on all points. Although I have set mine on Windows 8.1 (DX11) and Windows 10 (DX12) to 95 Max FPS, I get the most wonderful clarity and beauty on my games etc... I did notice with everything CPU and GPU clocked up; FX3850 Black Edition (4.0 stock) 4.6 GHz and ASUS HD7950-DC2-3GD5-V2 (Stock 800MHz Core and Memory 5000MHz) for this card, to 925MHz Core and 5240MHz Memory-This one I used GPU Tweak for clocking and the FAN CURVE so I could over volt it successfully, only, due to limitations and some weird instability in CCC. NOTE! CCC is the Application I used to utilize the FRTC. I did adjust my Resolution and Refresh rates before anything else form Windows and CCC before managing the VIDEO, GAMING, PERFORMANCE, POWER, MONITOR and AUDIO, all with CCC. The only thing I did not manage or enable was AMD OVERDRIVE for the GPU (As stated I utilized GPU Tweak for this one thing). I used CCC for the CPU OVERDRIVE though. Even though I had already Clocked my CPU to 4.5 in the BIOS of my CVF-Z, I still used the AUTO-TUNE feature so I would have the ability to move the CPU OVERDRIVE feature, which I did get from 4.5 to 4.6 GHz - and very stable.

Okay after spilling all of that out there. The end results were that my Benchmarks and Games ran faster, cooler, extremely stable. All the while looking very awesome and utilizing less power. It is nothing short of amazing. I cant wait for the DX12 Games and Benchmarks to run on Windows 10. And one more thing I do not understand. Now Windows 10 boots much quicker and everything works at least 100% better. And, EVERTHING actually works now. Okay, there it is. If you have any questions I  may have the answers.

Later!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Thanny

I really don't see any benefit.  You can turn on vertical sync and automatically impose a frame rate limit while eliminating tearing.  FRTC by itself will still have tearing, and the kind of people who don't care about tearing are generally going to be the same kind that want the maximum frame rate, period, regardless of the fact that they will see only a tiny sliver of each rendered frame.

FreeSync with vsync enabled for frame rates above the adaptive sync window will also automatically clamp the frame rate to the max refresh of the display.

The odd range of 55 to 95 makes even less sense.  Anyone with a 120Hz or 144Hz display that doesn't want to use vsync (due to misplaced concerns about "input lag") is not going to cap their frame rate below their refresh rate.  Add in the fact that third-party utilities to impose a frame rate limit have been available for years, without such a narrow rate range, and I can't see FRTC as anything but a marketing ploy.

But maybe I'm missing something.

xandos

What's the difference between using FRTC and VSync? Both limit the frame rate to 60 FPS.

Thanny

xandos:

What's the difference between using FRTC and VSync? Both limit the frame rate to 60 FPS.

The difference is that FRTC allows a range of target rates (55 to 95), and does nothing to synchronize screen updates.  Vertical sync imposes a limit (to the monitor's refresh rate) as a side effect of its primary purpose, which is to synchronize display updates with the vertical blanking interval, so that only complete frames are drawn.

As you can see from my first response, I'm not convinced there's any real value in the feature.

black_zion

I would say FRC is most applicable to mobile and small form factor PCs. We have yet to see what a microATX machine equipped with a Fury Nano will do, and Project Quantum. The downside is that it doesn't work, right now, with games where it is most needed, which are the classic DirectX 9 and older games, like Diablo II, HALO, FEAR, the STALKER series, and the classic TES games (I-IV), the latter which have detrimental performance with V Sync.

Of course one could always use MSI Afterburner in those games and use a defined profile with -50% power limit, which effectively does the same thing.

kingfish

The only question I have is what to set the vert sync setting to in CCC Set it to app controlled? Always on? Always off? I always use vert sync in all my games, regardless of the card I have. Maybe amdmatt or ray_m could help me out here?

savagebeastzero

Agreed, I'd love to get some clarity on the matter as to the definitive CCC and in game VSync settings that should(n't) be applied whilst utilizing FRTC. In my tests thus far, I've had varying success with it enabled. Of course that was mostly due to some games simply not being compatible. Regardless, looking forward to amdmatt and ray_m answer on this one.

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well here at the AMD forums. I had an issue with my previous mechanical keyboard and wasn't able to reply for the past few weeks without frustrations. Finally replaced it with a Roccat Ryos Mk Pro and all is back to normal. Looking forward to assisting the community on a regular basis again.

Thanny

Assuming FRTC works the same as third party rate limiters, then you should enable vsync the same way as you normally do if you want to eliminate screen tearing.

Always do that in the game whenever you can.  When you can't (I don't think the CCC setting actually does anything anymore), you need to use a third-party utility to impose vsync, such as D3DOverrider (if you can get it to run properly) or RadeonPro.