maelstorm

AMD/ATI vs. Nvidia: Some personal thoughts.

Discussion created by maelstorm on Jul 8, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 by esmea

I'm not trying to start a war between which video card manufacturer is better, but in my personal opinion, ATI cards are superior to Nvidia cards.

ATI cards have superior hardware quality.

This is true.  I have had four Nvidia cards over the years and every one failed inside of 2 years.  EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.  The last one cost me around $300USD, failed after about 18 months.  Warranty is one year.  For comparison, I have a Radeon 9800 AGP All-In-Wonder card laying around here that still works perfectly.  I have a old Sony laptop with a ATI Rage 128 chip in it which still works fine. My mom's computer has a Radeon X1300 AGP with an AMD 2400XP CPU in it.  That computer was retired recently with a mainboard fault.  CPU and video card still working properly.  I currently run an HD5670 PCIe-X16 and I'm happy with it.  Although, I'm thinking of upgrading it to go with the new mainboard that I have.  It's a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3.  I put an AMD FX-8350 CPU on it with 16GB Ram.

ATI graphics look better.

ATI graphics are sharp and precise.  Nvidia hardware shows blurry images which makes me think that I need glasses.  I don't really use anti-aliasing or edge softening or post processing.

Conclusion.

I don't mind paying a little bit more for good hardware that lasts 5-10 years, which happens to be my upgrade cycle.  I had to upgrade my computer recently because the main board failed.  It ran for 7 years.  I will admit that I did have one ATI card that I had to replace due to hardware failure.  But that's one card that ran for 5 years straight.  I have owned 7 ATI cards over the years.

ATI/AMD video cards are quite simply superior quality to Nvidia.  AMD, you can quote me on that.

Outcomes