0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2015 12:43 AM by blackseth99

PC Freezes during gameplay with R9 290X (XFX Double Dissipation)

blackseth99

I have had my new card in my PC since January. The card has given me nothing but trouble while playing games. Anything graphical (videos, games etc.) will cause the PC to freeze and the image to freeze on the screen. The sound effects also freeze when this happens. The problem seems to be present only when watching videos (streaming such as netflix) or playing PC games. Previously I had a 6950 HD and had no issues at all for 3+ years. Problems have only been with new card. I thought it may be a more power thirsty card, so I upgraded the PSU from 650W to 750W and nothing has changed. I have stress tested my PC using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and the temperatures of my components never reaches extremely high. The aftermarket cooling and case fans that I've installed work well.

Here are my PC Specs:

ASUS P87Z68-V Pro Motherboard

Intel i5-2500K (3.30GHz) (4-Core) (Large aftermarket cooler)

XFX Double Dissipation Radeon R9 290 4GB

16GB Corsair 1600Hz RAM

RM-750 Corsair PSU

240GB Samsung Evo SSD

1TB WD HDD

Case fans! (overheating shouldn't be the issue)

I've done some searching and the only thing I've found is that some forums say these new cards don't play well with older MoBo chipsets. I'm hoping to not have to invest into a new MoBo and processor.

Please help!