AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with R9 390 on Windows 10

Question asked by tranquilmarmot on Jul 3, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 by wiak

I'm trying to use the Windows 10 technical preview, clean install, with a newly installed R9 390.

On AMD's website they say "Microsoft has indicated that updated device drivers are not required at this time, as existing device drivers are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. AMD Radeon™ graphics and accelerated processing unit customers should use the latest available drivers from Windows Update until official Windows 10 driver support is posted on amd.com at a later date."

The graphics card works just fine in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I've tried a clean install of Windows 10 and an upgrade from 8.1 -> 10 and have had the same issue each time.

- The card doesn't show up in the device manager (only Display Adapter is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

- Previously, I would just get a black screen after a few minutes in Windows 10 and the computer would freeze up. After I read the above about it installing drivers through Windows Update, I checked there. If I looked at the updates being installed, it would have drivers listed for the "AMD R9 200 Series" as a queued update (*not* the 390 that I have). As soon as this update gets installed, I get a black screen and my computer eventually shuts down abruptly.

- Using AMD's auto detect utility, it says that I have a "Radeon R9 2XX Series", then downloads drivers and after installing them I get the same results as the drivers from Windows Update (black screen, reboot and it crashes almost instantly)

- I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove Intel display drivers and NVidia drivers from the Windows 10 install, rebooted, re-installed AMD Drivers for Windows 8.1. No luck.

Any ideas? Why does Windows 10 think I have a 200 series card when Windows 7 and 8.1 both see it as a 390?

Outcomes