AnsweredAssumed Answered

7870 overheating and throttling

Question asked by grevling on Jul 2, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 4, 2015 by black_zion

I've been noticing some low frame rates while gaming lately.  So today I ran some monitoring software to diagnose the issue.

I discovered that my 7870 core clock was running at 450mhz instead of the factory specs of 1000mhz.  I set it back to 1000mhz and ran some games.  There was a dramatic improvement in the fps across the board but the temperature became extremely unstable.  As soon as any game launches the temperature begins rising.  It rises quickly and steadily until it reaches 105c and then the core clock throttles back to 450mhz and the temperature drops.  The fan speed ramps up with the temperature until the fan is at 100%.

The systems idles at about 40c.  Nothing is overclocked.  No settings are outside of manufacturer specs.  The games I tested it on were Witcher 3, Warframe, Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2, all with the same results.  The system is running...

AMD Phenom II X4 955

8 gigs ram

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe mobo

850w Corsair psu

Assuming the card is just toast because that's always been my luck with video cards but I wanted some advice first.  Thanks

Outcomes