4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2015 12:46 AM by themoreyouknow

Uninstalling old driver and installing new driver for MSI R9 390

dc-mokum

Hello, I recently bought an MSI edition of the R9 390, and I was reviewing previous posts regarding the driver issues this card has.

My question at the moment is, how do I uninstall my old graphics driver (HD 5870 1gb) and then install the R9 15.15.1004 driver if I don't have an onboard video chip?

My computer specs are as follow:

AMD FX-8350

12GB dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1866

ASUS M5A99FX PRO r2.0

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1gb

1TB WD

My understanding is I need a display driver in order to use the monitor, so I'm not sure how I can just remove the driver and then install a new one.

I was thinking if I uninstall the driver for my HD 5870 in safe mode, reboot, turn pc off at bios post screen, and then insert the new card (r9 390) it would automatically install needed drivers.

But I'm not sure, I just wanted to know how exactly I would go about doing this, because at the moment I'm really confused. It wouldn't be a problem if I had an onboard video chip, but I do not.

Any help/instructions would be appreciated, as the new card arrives tomorrow for me, and I was really excited because my old card is pretty dated, but then I saw all these issues..