26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 9:03 AM by ajlueke

Fury X, random large mouse cursor???

vandor

So, just today, was watching YouTube, and noticed my cursor became larger than it should...no magnifier, ease of access is at normal. Reinstalled 15.15 Drivers with DDU...no help. It's only doing this at my native 4k resolution, if I bump the resolution down to 1440p it resizes to normal...

Any ideas?

• Re: Fury X, random large mouse cursor???
          watchingeyeball

UPDATE - FIXED: Yay! It seems with the latest Catalyst driver updates, the large mouse cursor has returned to normal size! For referance, I have:

Driver Packing Version- 15.20.1062-150715a-187142C

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version- 2015.0715.2138.37093

You can check these versions by opening Catalyst Control Center -> "Information" tab -> "Software". I was prompted to update automatically when I started up my computer.

Cool! I am not alone here. I just did a new build, and I have been not having fun with it. After getting everything else working (Fresh install of the OS, Windows completely updated, Bios updated, ect), my issues are as follows:

• The mouse cursor doubles/triples in size when I scroll over any text/text box, or I launch any game. It is sized normally otherwise.
          • Disabling mouse shadow causes the cursor to be enlarged at all times.
          • Enabling mouse trailing fixes the sizing issue, but my cursor becomes invisible in any game.
          • Uninstalling the graphics drivers fixes the issue entirely.
          • I am also having surprisingly low performance issue in both benchmarks and games (like under 30fps in WoW, even on average settings).

These exact same cursor issues happened in 2009 and is due to a driver issue. Here is a link to a tomshardware thread on it .

From that past example, it seems to be an issue with the card being underpowered by power saving features (Power Play in that case). The thread recommends slightly overclocking the the gpu in order to fix it. I have not tried this as a fix though.

As of this morning, I called AMD and they elevated to the higher levels of tech assistance (or whatever it is called). I am waiting for a call back at some point soon. I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone

EDIT

If it helps, here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k

GPU: R9 Fury X

MB: Asus x99-A

PS: Corsair HX 750W

RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB (2x8) 2400MHZ

Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            amdmatt

Hello everyone,

Just to confirm, is this occurring even with scaling/zoom at the default 100% whilst running 4K?

vandor

Correct Matt.

@4k no magnification. Here's a pic from my phone, cause it won't show up on a screenshot.

Imgur

Not sure if specs will matter, but if it helps.

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.4Ghz /w Corsair H60 AIO

G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1333

ASRock Z77 Extreme6

ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ 920W 80 PLUS SILVER

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

vandor

New 15.7 drivers did not help. Unfortunately...

watchingeyeball

I figured the new version of Catalyst wouldn't help, since the Fury X is still using the same graphics drivers. My 6970 didn't have this cursor issue when I ran the previous version of catalyst with the 6970 drivers, so I think it may be a specific thing for the Fury X.

Also, please try uninstalling the Fury X drivers through Catalyst and tell me how that works for you. After updating to the new version of Catayst, I tried to uninstall everything (Catalyst & Fury X drivers), but it didn't actually remove the drivers. After an allegedly "Successful" uninstall, I am still able to play game, and benchmark the same way. 3DMark even recognizes that the Fury X drivers are still installed.

vandor

Can we expect an update on this issue? Any news at all? is it being looked into/reproduced? Just curious.

ajlueke

Hello.  I would like to add my name to the list of people with this issue.  After installing the R9 Fury X and the beta drivers, my cursor was abnormally large.  Putting my PC to sleep and waking it up resolves the issue, but my PC invariably crashes shortly after being woken up.  Running with the "magnifier" on in the background also fixes the issue, but causes my cursor to disappear during games. 

So I am forced to game with a novelty oversized cursor.  The issue is resolved if I uninstall the driver, and was not fixed by the update in catalyst 15.7.  The issue was not present with my 7970 that the Fury X replaced.  My specs are as follows:

CPU: FX-8350

GPU: R9 Fury X

MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

PS: Corsair AX860

RAM: G. Skill Sniper 16GB (2x8) 1866 MHZ

Heatsink: Noctua NH-D12

guldukat

Crosspost FYI:

Since the last update, the Cursor is very large and I can't fix it with the Options on control Panel. Please help.

Earlier I had the same Problem on Win 7 x64 and my Radeon HD 5870. I used Monitor Asset Manager to create a new Monitor.inf to fix this Problem. The Problem was the EDID Info: it showed my Monitor as a 7" model.

But under Win 8.1 this doesn't work.

My current config:

Display connected via HDMI: Samsung SyncMaster 2494HS

AMD R9 290

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

AMD Catalyst 15.7

newjerseydamo

Same problem happened to me after installing 15.7, was perfectly fine in 15.6, so I uninstalled and resorted back to 15.6 so I don't have this crappy issue.

I just happen to have a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290.

CPU: i7 930

GPU: R9 290

MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

PS: Corsair HX620

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3x4Gb

geographus

Same here!

I have a two screen setup, one screen connected by DVI does not have this issue,

my main screen connected by HDMI does suffer from giant cursors.

System:

GPU: R9 290

CPU: i7 4790K

MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-CF

PS: BeQuiet Straight Power 10-CM 600W

RAM: 16GB (4x 4096MB) Kingston HyperX DDR3

Catalyst Version: 15.7

elcheapo

Same issue here after an fresh install of 15.7 on a new Windows 8.1 Pro x64 installation. I'm using an Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC. The issue is gone when I remove the AMD driver.

lespaul50

Have you made sure that Windows is set to scale at 100%? It's possible that scaling was increased to 125% or 150%, which would cause the cursor and icons to look enlarged.

notional

Same issue, and I think I've found the issue: My cursers are normal size with the exception of the text marking one and some of the Logitech setpoint ones. If I remove curser shadow in Windows all cursers go large, if I add shadow, only the text marking curser and the setpoints are too large. It seems to be because they don't have curser shadows on them.

vandor

Thankfully, Windows 10 fixed this issue, for now. So, if anyone has this issue. I recommend Windows 10, because in all honesty and as much as I hate to say this, this doesn't seem like an issue AMD is concerned with or will fix any time soon or if at all.

watchingeyeball

FIXED

I made an edit to my original comment, but figured I should post a reply dedicated to it as well:

It seems with the latest Catalyst driver updates, the large mouse cursor has returned to normal size! For reference I have:

Driver Packing Version- 15.20.1062-150715a-187142C

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version- 2015.0715.2138.37093

You can check these versions by opening Catalyst Control Center -> "Information" tab -> "Software". I was prompted to update automatically when I started up my computer.

ajlueke

In the interest of not only posting on here to complain, I will confirm that the 15.7.1 driver release has fixed the cursor issue for me as well.