AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem with my R9 390 hardware unit? Drivers? or other issue?

Question asked by beergogglesftw on Jun 28, 2015

Last week I installed the Sapphire R9 390 into my computer. Everything worked fine. I used the 300 drivers after wiping out my old ones.  Gaming performance was exactly where it should have been.

But when I turned my computer on in the morning, everything was a solid color... I remember red, then blue, not sure if there was other colors. Kind of looped. Hard power off, and back on. Everything worked fine again. I wiped the drivers and installed them again. Everything was working well again that night.

I went to watch a movie in the other room and my computer went to sleep. As I turned my computer back on, I got this screen (attached). If http://i.imgur.com/w97k2iB.jpg I moved my mouse and clicked, it would kind of flicker back to normal and back to being pixelated/artifacty.

No heat issues. ~40°C idle. ~73°C Furmark. ~68°C Gaming.

No prior issues like this with my computer.

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3... previously ran a 6850 CF (for about 1 year), and then a GTX670 for 3 years. Never had any issues.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K (No OC, can run Prime95 without an issue)

RAM: 16GB G.Skill. Passed memtest86+ about 2 monthes ago when I bought more.

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W... never had an issue in the past.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Monitor: QNIX QX2710LED (so I'm using the stock DVI cable, which I've never had an issue with.) A couple people have suggested a new cable, but I can't imagine thats it, as its never been issue, but I ordered a new 24awg one from monoprice anyway.

Issue was occurring when I had onboard video enabled, but not in use. So I disabled it, wiped intel video drivers... Issue still occurred.

Later in the week (last week) I RMA'd the card through Newegg. I didn't want to wait around for a fix, and end up losing the RMA time window for a replacement through newegg.

But I feel like its equally possible this could be an issue with the drivers as well... Its very odd this issue only occurs when my computer is being turned on or waking up from sleep. Not when gaming or stressing the card out in any way.

But there's not many options with the 300 series and drivers. I haven't seen many reported issues with those drivers, nothing like this... so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is just hardware. Its also possible its conflicting with something else on my machine, even though like I said, I was wiping other video drivers.

So, I'm simply reaching out to see if anybody else has seen or heard of similar problems. Even though I RMA'd I'm afraid they'll tell me nothing is wrong with it, or a they send me the replacement and it continues to happen... At which point I'll be in the same boat, but I could have spent the time without the card researching possible solutions.

Attachments

Outcomes