11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 7:59 AM by mikeh

DVI to HDMI audio on R9 270?

mikeh

I have a Radeon R9 270 in the computer I bought recently, and want to try to hook up both a monitor and a TV to it. There's only one HDMI, so I wonder if I can get audio by using a DVI to HDMI connector? I've heard that some graphic cards support it, but I can't figure out how to tell from the specs whether or not mine does. Can anyone help me, or do I have to experiment?

Mike

• Re: DVI to HDMI audio on R9 270?
          nielsvds

You need an DVI to HDMI adapter which have also audio cables included for stereo. The cheapest connectors only transfer images, but no sound. Otherwise you would not have any sound. Here is an example.

andrews9

Why you dont use a HDMI--HDMI  cable? i am not sure if i understand you, you have a new GPU and 2 Displays: 1 monitor, 1TV. Why you dont connect your monitor with the DVI and use the HDMI cable for the TV connection?

In this way you should have sound on your TV.

mikeh

Hi, thanks for the thoughts. When I'm working I just use the monitor, the TV is only on occasionally or if I'm watching something on it. I was hoping to be able to use monitor speakers for basic sound even when the TV is off since that is most of the time.

It looks like the DVI connectors that pass sound to the HDMI (not just an integrated audio plug) are pretty expensive. Might be smarter just to use a cheap pair of speakers...

andrews9

Yes you are right, you could use a sound system 2.1 or 5.1 connected to your pc. As far as i know, when the TV is off, you cannot use the internal tv speakers.

The best audio experience you may have is to use a sound system. The HDMI method is not bad, but you will not hear all the range frequencies, its a big difference specially when you watch movies or listen your fav music or when you play games. I am sure you already know that.

For a while i had my pc connected to a big LCD Tv[it had vga+hdmi] but i preffered not to use the TV speakers. I bought a Logitech X-530 75W RMS sound system, i paid ~100 euros. it is an old system now[2015] but it has good clarity, good and clear low freq BASS.

Or you can use headphones...much better than the tv speakers.

sambul38

Look here for samples of cheap adapters that support AMD Audio via DVI, they have special chip inside. Can buy easily used or new on web auctions and Amazon. For example, ATI 6140063500G can also be listed under Dell or some OEM brands, and costs around $8, while new ATI Radeon DVI male to HDMI Female Video Audio Adapter 6141054300G Rev. A costs $3.50 with free shipping on Ebay. Search the web or check with AMD support, which DVI-to-HDMI such adapter model will work best with your GPU, since they might have different code or GPU models list stored in the adapter chip.

tristisoris

i make it by usual dvi-hdmi cable. but it only works on hdmi output.

andrews9

from what i understand so far, is now you dont have any SOUND[headphones,2.1 system,etc] except when you use the TV as a monitor, right?

Instead of paying a lot of money on dvi-hdmi adapters, you better buy a Headphones set or a 2.1 sound system or a 5.1 sound system. This way you allways have "hi-fi" sound no matter if you use the TV or your dvi monitor display.

ps: Lets say you are working on your DVI monitor and your TV is off, you will have no sound, even if you choose from your sound properties the main output for sound ,the HDMI line. For me, keeping the TV on just to have sound from your pc, its not a great ideea. Have a nice weekend.

moonstar

If you have a DVI to HDMI adapter (no audio cables needed) and then use HDMI to connect in you will get audio.  I found this out oddly with my 270x hooking up my 2nd monitor.

mikeh

So, I never figured out whether my video card would have put audio through a DVI-HDMI adapter (I don't have one, was planning to buy if it would have worked) but I found a good deal on a monitor with Displayport, so I'm going with that.