28 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 3:34 AM by vlad_the_bad

The Fury X

Cornugon

The NDA has finally been lifted and here and there one can find benchmarks for this card.

Apparently the Fury X more or less matches a reference 980Ti in 4K (or UHD-1 for you '3840x2160 is no 4K'-nazi's) resolution benchmarks, but drops the ball in more 'playable' resolutions like 1920x1080 or 2560x1440. The latter is presumably because of AMD's notorious driver overhead and might improve in time/Win 10/DX12.

The cons are that it's no 980Ti (or Titan X)-killer, only has 4GB of VRAM (if 4K is your main goal, then 4GB would be a bit on the low side, even though there's plenty of explanation for it because of HBM-1 limitations), doesn't come with HDMI 2.0, and neither a DVI-port (in both cases one has to buy an expensive active adapter to fully support both interfaces).

It's currently priced at starting at an absurd price of €780,- ($871,71, over 200 dollars more than the MSRP) in the Netherlands (and not yet available), while the cheapest 980Ti's start at €750,-, and have a better availability. In comparison: when the 290X was released it's cost was below €600,- over here.

Personally, if I wanted/needed a new high end videocard right now I'm not sure I would have gone for AMD this time. Not that I currently require an upgrade.

I can't say that I'm actually impressed. But it's just my opinion!

• Re: The Fury X
          humbug

Its very unfortunate, yes most reviews have it struggling to hold its own against the similar priced 980TI @ 4K, for the majority of us running 1080P / 1440P the performance isn't there at all.

I'm looking at my Powercolor PCS+ R9 290P, it runs cool and reasonably quiet at 1125Mhz... i have been very impressed with it, its the most dependable well behaved and likeable GPU i have ever had, but its getting for 2 years old now and i want to replace it. and i'm thinking £550 for an extra 20% performance at my res?

So now what? 390/X? Well, i already have one of those don't i.

br.avinash

I think the same! If AMD is listening/reading to what reviewers and users/gamers like us are saying, they better get their act together if they want to stay in competition. I am an all AMD person and have been for 7 years. I am really sad to see AMD dropping out of competition like this. AMD's flagship Fury X does not even come close to the Nvidia's second best let alone the Titan X. This is bad.

jawadsmokii

I dont know what to say .. i m so eager to change my 290 but i m still thinking to between fury x and 980 ti ... but after the benchmarks omg .. this was really disappointing ...

the problem is if i want to blame the performance in the drivers ... i know for fact the AMD wont release something good for like a year at least ... i m so in conflict now .

I Love AMD my righ got all AMD parts .. but now I dont know do i switch or not ... I got till the end of the month decide ..........

-Jawad

misko1546

Buy yourself 2 290x, Just yesterday I was thinking of buying 390x. After some research I found its only like 5-10% faster than a ref 290x, no thanks I will clock my already OC 290x CF Windforce and performance will be similar. 290x with decent scaling will smack fury, 980ti, what ever you like, have a decent CPU to go with the power and your all set.

290x CF is cheaper then 980ti and fury, why not?

Regards,

George

frozenfractal

Some say the degrade in lower res is actually because HBM has less clock speed than GDDR5. Driver problems is also a included issue. But if AMD did research HBM for 5 years, these should've surfaced in it before reaching to the customers, and should've addressed it at alpha stage (not that I don't believe AMD didn't do any research).

If any of the developers or personnel are viewing this thread, I frankly request them to clarify what's the issue with Fury X for such degradation in performance. That'll at least give AMD supporters a consolation.

humbug

RE: The lack of performance at lower res, do you think it could be down to AMD's Driver overhead? Nvidia's is significantly better so it could be that which is holding the big performance boost back as it just can't generate the FPS with the CPU bottleneck?

playsbothsides

So much for my new Fury X.I was hoping to buy one but I think I'll wait now.

neo5555

Up until a few months ago i was still runing 2 x 7970's in XFire. I bought a GTX 980 as it was the fastest single gpu card at the time and planned on getting a Fury X when released.. Will pass now...   If i OC my 980, i get 90% of the Fury X performance...   and i get to keep my cash.

I got sucked into the Bulldozer hype, and now i got sucked into the Fiji Hype...   sick of this crap.

frozenfractal

This shows a very different (and eerie) story of Fury X...
                          https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ixbt.com%2Fvideo3%2Ffiji-part3.shtml

I am not sure whether this is was done correctly or not, and maybe just a rumor altogether.

m4ng4

I got the Fury X in my pc now and it sucks!

every second the fps dips down to 30 fps and gose back up again to about and this looks like a stutter this shows verry good in the benchmark..

by some reason AMD took my post away about it and this makes me furious.. he..

also i had 2 gtx680 in sli before and they got better score....

so yeah i just wasted 8000 swe kr..

orbitpro

So I had some serious issues with the drivers. But now I've sorted that out witcher 3 runs almost maxed out 2560 by 1080, 55-60 fps

What core clock speed are you running at?

I set the amd performance fps to 60 max which for some crazy reason dropped the core clock to 800mhz. Turned that off and it's now running at 1150mhz which has made so much difference.

Before that I was getting 40+ fps

cc0537

By the looks of it several reviewers used the wrong drivers for benchmark the FuryX and there were engineering samples with bad cooling on FuryX. This is the 290X all over again: bad drivers and busted cooling. AMD confused people with same driver names for different cards.

Overall the FuryX is about 5% to 20% faster than 980 TI at stock. The FuryX is unable to overclock right now (AMD we're looking at you) so we don't know who wins in an OC vs OC battle.

The 4GB of VRAM doesn't matter. Radeon Fury or even an overclocked 980 TI don't have enough processing power for top AAA titles at 4K/60fps at max quality.

Nvidia is dropping the price of 980 TI because they see the FuryX as a threat. I still wouldn't buy a Fury til AMD fixes the driver situation.

amdmatt

As a proud and happy owner of 4X Fury X cards, i thought I'd share some benchmarks with you folks so you can get an idea of the performance I'm seeing along with how effectively CrossFire is scaling from 1>4 GPU's. I don't know about you, but i love data.

Anyway, let's get straight into some pictures and performance numbers.

Untitled.jpg

3DMark SkyDiver Benchmark

baKZan3.png

5960x @4.9Ghz

4x Fury X @1125/500Mhz

SCORE

68982 with AMD Radeon R9 Fury X(4x) and Intel Core i7-5960X

Graphics Score 142108

Physics Score 24216

Combined Score 33063

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7563006

rn5UVYn.png

3D Mark Firestrike Standard

5960x @4.9Ghz

4x Fury X @1125/500Mhz

SCORE

35291 with AMD Radeon R9 Fury X(4x) and Intel Core i7-5960X

Graphics Score 61201

Physics Score 23916

Combined Score 10195

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7562951

Now for some games. All game benchmarks were conducted at 4K and using the maximum possible settings.

Alien Isolation

sTXdOpa.jpg

5960x @4.9Ghz

4xFury X @1125/500Mhz

2160P

1x Fury X

Ckzs6l5.jpg

2x Fury X

w7GACce.jpg

3x Fury X

JOINCxI.jpg

4x Fury X

C3rRHQT.jpg

Dirt Rally

5960x @4.9Ghz

1x Fury X @1125/500Mhz

2160P

j2lqbWX.jpg

1x Fury X

23ly2hj.jpg

2x Fury X

iqeecp.jpg

3x Fury X

1z5ix03.jpg

4x Fury X

eu0ihi.jpg

Do you guys find this useful? Would you like me to post more benchmarks like this? I'm more than happy to post some more, if the Community finds this sort of Fury X data useful. Reply with comments.

vlad_the_bad

Yeah but can it run Minecraft?

Kidding of course. Pretty awesome. I am hopping these can be modded to fit into a preexisting water loop.