1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 7, 2015 7:17 PM by sambul38

FirePro v4900 HD Audio support

sambul38

Many Radeon Cards support HD Audio output via DVI port by using DVI-to-HDMI Adapter, in particular models ATI 6140063500G or Wieson 8246.

1. HD Audio via DVI

I wonder if FirePro v4900 also supports such HD audio output, and the same adapter can be used with it to output HD Audio to an HDTV via HDMI cable? Can you give a link to any spec, manual, or AMD support article explaining that? If such HD Audio output via DVI-to-HDMI adapter is not supported, pls inform how to output HD Audio via FirePro v4900 DVI port? I read posts on other forums saying its possible, but want to find out what DVI adapter models can do that?

2. HD Audio via DisplayPort

I read that HD Audio can also be output via DisplayPort-to-HDMI passive adapter, but only for maximum 2 displays simultaneously - is that right? Or based on Windows Sound processing, Audio can only output to one display, selected as Main in Windows Displays? Amazingly, no such details are given in FirePro v4900 User Manual.

3. HD Audio and AMD Eyefinity

Does AMD Eyefinity technology support multiple simultaneous audio outputs? Should it be the same audio source for all displays, or can be different audio sources for each? Can each of 3 displays hooked to 4900 show a separate video source playback, or all of them can only show adjacent parts of the same source playback?

• Re: FirePro v4900 HD Audio support
          sambul38

I now tested the adapter I used with another ATI card, model ATI 6140063500G, and can confirm it works perfect with V4900 DVI port, passing video and audio when hooked via HDMI cable to a HDMI port of a typical LCD Monitor. I also tested a cheap Tomtop sold passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, and it works perfect too passing video and audio to a HDMI monitor. When I connect both these adapters to 2 HDMI displays, only one display selected as Main in Windows Displays gets audio via HDMI from v4900. Didn't test other DP configs with Active adapters so far.