9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2015 6:53 PM by kamzol90

Problems with CPU

kamzol90

Recently (10 days ago) unblocked 4th kernel on proce (AMD Athlon X2 460 3.4 GHz), unlocked normal processor became nazyvatsya Phenom B60, increased productivity. Today, when you start computing system will see in Device Manager processor was called Engineering sample 1.6 GHz, respectively, performance dropped. Then I back disabled 4 core, like all settled then. But today again decided percent as the Engineering sample 1.6 GHz with 3 standard cores. How to fix it? After several restarts processor determined how Phenom, how Engineering sample

P.S. Sorry for my worst English

• Re: Problems with CPU
          kamzol90

sorry CPU called Athlon II X3 460

andrews9

You must be from Poland, i guess. it is very difficult to understand your english.

You unlocked the 4th core of your Athlon II X3 460 cpu? and then what? what is the problem? Does your windows report the wrong cpu frequency?

kamzol90

sometimes CPU determined as Phenom B60 3,4 Ghz, sometimes as Engineering sample 1.6 GHz

Photo from BIOS

CAM00057[1].jpgCAM00055[1].jpg

andrews9

You should try to modify this BIOS settings:

- Cool n Quiet = DISABLED

- advanced Clock Calibration= what other setting then AUTO you have?

- Active Cpu Cores= set it on Manual

I have a system running on AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3Ghz. I tried to unlocked the 4th core but it didnt work. I think it is a dead core. So you are kind of lucky.

Thank you for the photos, i think i have seen this problem in the past. Others had it. As far as i remember, Engineering Samples are the beta versions of integrated circuits that are meant to be used for compatibility qualification or as demonstrators. They are usually loaned to OEM manufacturers prior to the chips commercial release to allow product development or display. Usually, they are picked out of a very large batch and perform correctly. However, rarely they may have faults that were fixed in the production model.

Engineering samples are usually handed out under a non-disclosure agreement or an other type of confidentiality agreement. Engineering sample processors are also offered on a technical loan to some full-time employees, and are usually desktop extreme edition processors.

Somehow you were "lucky" to become to owner of such thing as engineering sample chip.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        kamzol90

Thanks. Yesterday I was recommended update BIOS. What do you think?

andrews9

Regarding the BIOS update, its not a bad idea. It is a bit risky. I understand that your mainboard may be damaged for good if something wrong happens during the BIOS update.

offtopic:[not long ago i have updated one of my mainboards BIOS, a gigabyte GA970A-D3. I updated from F7 to F10, only because the gigabyte support team suggested to do that.(i have an issue, i cant control the rpm of the cpu fans) The update was succesful, all ok, but my issue is not solved, so i have updated "for nothing"]Well, they say that F10version has mosfet protection enabled. And thats it, no big deal.

I dont know what is your mainboard model/manufacturer. If on your company website you find the BIOS update available for your mainboard, check first what that update is for. In order not to do it...in vain.

Your purpose is to make your BIOS to read-detect your cpu[components] properly.

If you feel like trying it, go ahead, but make sure you download the corect version of the bios update for your mainboard.

I forgot to ask you, the windows see all of your 4 cores? Do you feel any improvment in your performance after you unlocked your cpu?

Like i said, i wanted to unlock my cpu, but i failed, people suggested my cpu may have a bad core[dead core] since i could not boot after the unlock.

ps: I am not trying to confuse you by avoiding to give a straight answer to your question: to update or not your BIOS. I think if you didnt detect any performance improvment and stability of your system after you have unlocked your 4th core, then there is no point in keeping it unlocked.

By the way, on my AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3Ghz i run a lot of 3d games without any problems. Yes the graphic card is very important of course. But if in order to unlock and utilise the 4th core of your cpu, instability and overheating comes in the equations...then i believe is not worth it.

Thats why i want to ask you if there is any difference in performance between your 3 cores stock and the 4 cores unleashed ?