10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2015 3:12 PM by pollik

AMD Catalyst Autodetect app

pollik

I used the app and downloaded "amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-without-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe"

When I try to run it, it says I have the wrong version of windows.  It seems a bit daft, I let the app decide what is right for my laptop and it gets it wrong...maybe

I am running Win 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64 bit

Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

• Re: AMD Catalyst Autodetect app
          pollik

I guess no one knows the answer then

kingfish

What is your laptop manufacturer and exact model ?

black_zion

Download AMD Drivers

Follow steps 1-5.

pollik

I did that, a short while before you posted. It gave me a file amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe

Unfortunately, it has messed my latptop in a large way, with limited screen resolution and running very slowly.  Windows System Restore failed.

I am working through other solutions at the moment

kingfish

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics should be the current version. Go to this Intel link, and manually ( do not use the Intel Driver Update Utility) find the latest graphics driver for your laptop, as pictured. Download and save it to your desktop. If you don't know which version of Intel graphics you have, look in device manager.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

laptop intel drivers.png

Download these AMD drivers to your desktop.

For Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.
                  Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

NOTICE IMPORTANT:

***Computers with Intel processors select 'express' uninstall all AMD software including the install manager.

*** Computers with AMD processors custom uninstall the AMD graphics driver and Catalyst Control Panel only.

Reboot.

Now install the Intel drivers first and lastly the AMD drivers.

NOTICE: If you do not want raptr/gaming evolved installed with your new drivers, select 'custom install' and uncheck the box for "gaming Evolved".

AMD.png

pollik

Thank you so much for your advice...I really appreciate it.  I think I have got back to where I was when I started (although there are a *lot* of AMD64 folders still showing).  I uninstalled the display drivers in the Device Manager, rebooted and let Win7 find new hardware.  At the moment, I have no warnings showing in the Device Manager.

Device Manager now shows ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 and Intel(R) HD Graphics - from the drop list on the Intel page you linked, I assume that would be "Intel Core Processors with Intel HD Graphics" that I need?  My processor is an Intel Core i5.

Removing the old drivers - in "Uninstall or Change a Program" there are four Intel entries, none of which are obviously Intel video drivers and no AMD programs listed (despite the very many folders named AMD64 showing in File Explorer).

I do have Revo Unstaller Pro, and I *could* do a forced uninstall if I could be sure which folders relate to the prog I want to uninstall...I have spent four hours on this, this afternoon and I am frankly nervous of it all going belly up, again.  I need a break and it is now early evening here...I am ready to stop for the day.

I really am very appreciative of the advice you have given, but this kind of stuff on the threshold of my comfort zone.  On one of my attempts to install drivers, one of the messages I got told me that there was already an installation program running (there wasn't in Task Manager), which makes me wonder about corrupted files

I will see how I feel in the morning, but here, now, in the moment,I am just relieved to get my laptop back working (more or less) as it was.

Thank you again