1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 10:53 AM by kingfish

Catalyst keeps telling me to update driver!

rik72c

I'm using HP G4 which comes with AMD Radeon. For months I've installed driver downloaded from HP website (AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver [8.933.3.4000]) until today I notice that catalyst recommend me to update and install new version of driver.

I installed Catalyst installer which I download from Catalyst itself (14.12). After it finished installing, the resolution became 800x600 and it kept telling me to download the latest version, so I download it from the website (14.12)... same thing. After installing it again, it told me the latest version is available (14.12!!!!). I repeat installing drivers until 3 hours later. It stopped telling me to update, now told me to update Intel GPU instead. I did and then restart.

I open Catalyst and "AMD Catalyst control center cannot be started", I browse on the internet and people said to install Catalyst again. I did. And It comes back to the first step. Download the latest version (14.12!!!!!!). 6 hours has passed, I'm still installing this driver. I was NVidia user for 14 years and never have this much problem installing graphic driver.

What do I do?....... Please don't tell me to download the latest version....

• Re: Catalyst keeps telling me to update driver!
          kingfish

There is a big difference in installing graphics drivers for a laptop....which you didn't mention you have.

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics should be the current version. Go to this Intel link, and manually ( do not use the Intel Driver Update Utility) find the latest graphics driver for your laptop, as pictured. Download and save it to your desktop. If you don't know which version of Intel graphics you have, look in device manager.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

laptop intel drivers.png

Download these AMD drivers to your desktop.

For Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.
          Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

NOTICE IMPORTANT:

***Computers with Intel processors select 'express' uninstall all AMD software including the install manager.

*** Computers with AMD processors custom uninstall the AMD graphics driver and Catalyst Control Panel only.

Reboot.

Now install the Intel drivers first and lastly the AMD drivers.

NOTICE: If you do not want raptr/gaming evolved installed with your new drivers, select 'custom install' and uncheck the box for "gaming Evolved".

AMD.png