2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 7:56 AM by austincraig

290x crashes while browsing.

austincraig

So I won a 290x in a contest but it keeps crashing.

I'll be in firefox looking around the net and all of a sudden everything freezes up, you can't close anything, it will say "not responding". This also occurs when I'm in steam and just looking around for games.

My specs are

CPU = 6x core bulldozer core

16 gigs of ram

290x amd card

600w pc power and cooling psu

asus m5a97 EVO motherboard

OCZ (crooks) Revo 3 Pci-e SSD as my sole hard drive

I just did a clean format with Windows 7 64bit, I've got all the patches, latest drivers, nothing is overclocked.

I honestly wonder if its a motherboard compatibility issue doing this?

Please help.

Austin

• Re: 290x crashes while browsing.
          kingfish

Nice win Anyhow, that card's recommended power supply is 650-750watts....depending on the manufacturer.

System Requirements

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
          • 750W (or greater) power supply with one 150W 8-pin PCI Express power connector and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended.
            NOTE: Minimum recommended system power supply wattage is based on the specific graphics card and the typical power requirements of other system components. Your system may require more or less power. OEM and other pre-assembled PCs may have different power requirements.
          • Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
          • Minimum 4GB of system memory
            8GB (or more) of system memory recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology
          • Installation software requires CD-ROM drive, a keyboard, a mouse, and a display
          • DVD playback requires DVD drive and a DVD
          • A display with digital input (HDMI, DisplayPort or DVI) is required
          • Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive and a Blu-ray disc
          • Supported operating systems include Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
          • 64-bit operating system highly recommended