4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2017 12:49 AM by mavkeysound

Asus laptop black screen issue

kingfish

I just answered a inquiry by PM of a user who after updating his Asus laptop graphics drivers has a black screen. He plugged in a tv...and voilà everything works great...on the external monitor. This is a ongoing issue with AMD drivers and Asus laptops. It's just the laptop screen that goes black, if you have a external monitor...everything works fine. The last AMD driver version that worked was the 13.4. After the 13.4 everything went south...so the problem seems to be isolated. I know there have been issue reports submitted. So I am wondering if amdmatt or ray_m might enlighten us on why this is still a issue?

From 2014:

Asus laptop black screen

• Re: Asus laptop black screen issue
          ray_m

Can you ask the user to try the Winkey  + P key trick ? This allows him to switch between monitors.

kingfish

The issue has not been resolved. Really, this has been around so long. Something in the drivers changed after the 13.4 drivers...seems that is a big clue. There are lots of Asus laptops out there and it is affecting all of them...

This is the reply I got ray_m

""Sorry for the late answer. I've tried this trick before, it doesn't help.

But the "possible fix" video in the discussion you gave me a link of, was helpful; except I did not have any "KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2" value so I made a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with this name and unlike the video, I put the Value data on 1. The problem is resolved now but new problems have appeared: I can not use Fn keys or change LCD brightness.

Thank you.""

mavkeysound

Guys i have a solution for asus k52jt (notebook x52j with radeon hd 6370m in windows 7 I see the Others solutions and y think "Well the KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 keep the brightness fixed and cant change is you set with "1". But if you set with "0" then no brightness. Well then with MD_EnableBrightnesslf2  and set in "0" nothing happen with my notebook. Well i do that and is WORKING!!! 1) You must to clean driver with AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and reboot. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx 2) I download and install the beta driver Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2064 3) Open REGEDIT and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 4) Set DWORD32 (or create if not have) KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 = 0 and another DWORD32 MD_EnableBrightnesslf2 = 1 (KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 = 1 fix the screen but you can't change the brightness. For that reason i prefer this solution. 5) Finally go to DEVICE MANAGER... disable the amd radeon video card... after you must to enable.... and that's all. Now you can watch the screen and you can fix the brightness with fn in this notebook. If you can watch before the item 3 well go to safe mode and change REGEDIT with my solution. Finally is worked