2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 1:23 AM by ericb7799

Athlon X4 860K seems to be prone to failure and damage to multiple brand mobo's.

ericb7799

So this isn't a question, more of a report, and a warning. Recently our local electronic store was having a combo sale and was selling the Athlon X4 860 Quad Core (NO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS!!!) with some fm2+ motherboards. Their initial sale was with the   Gigabyte F2A68HM-DS2H AMD A68H Chipset FM2+ mATX Motherboard  . Instead I actually went with another board, at that time decided would rather try the MSI A78-M-E35 FM2+.  Installed everything and initially everything seemed to be working. Next day after running Windows Update and it rebooted the graphics card (at that time AMD 6450 Saphirre) was not initializing. When it happened I had two monitors connected (one HDMI, other VGA). Grapics card did not re-initialize on boot. Tried reseting CMOS by moving the jumpers, tried also removing battery. Have multiple OS installed on other disks/partitions. Win xp64, win 7, win 8.1, win 10 tp it pro, 10 tp client, win server 2012r2, and win server tech prev 2. Issue happens on all OS versions.  Tried taking out the 860K and putting in my other APU 7300 but it didnt't work either. Basically the board was just toast. Took the board back and got MSI a78m-e45 but after a couple of hours it happened again and that board wouldnt come back on even with the APU. Took it back to store and this time tried the ASUS A78-M and it was working for about 1 day and then last night it also rebooted after update and then nothing but "no signal". Tried the APU 7300 again and same thing. So that's where I am, currently the Gigabyte board is running the APU 7300. BTW in the meantime and after the fist couple of MSI boards failed I did exchange the actual X4 860K CPU for another of same model. So the ASUS board failure was with a replacement to the first 860K.

I have no idea what this is and what is going on. I would think that AMD would at least have some better idea of what to do but after a couple of calls to them they don't have anything I can do. I did try updating BIOS and that usually just caused more BSOD.

So try this processor at your own risk! In my case it has burned out 4 different boards from 3 different brands and continued to do it even after being e xchanged for a new CPR of same model.. Drivers, DDR3 RAM and everything else I can think of is up to date.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

• Re: Athlon X4 860K seems to be prone to failure and damage to multiple brand mobo's.
          worf39

I've build 4 using X4 860K but I us x88 chip-set as it the best for FM2+ the board makes are Asus asrock and Msi Gigabyte

• Re: Athlon X4 860K seems to be prone to failure and damage to multiple brand mobo's.
            ericb7799

weird thing is that I took back the CPU after it killed the first two MSI boards, got the a78-e45 and same thing. Continued onto the Asus board and Gigabyte board. After the PCI-e x16 card failed on the Gigabyte board I just put in an A4-7300 APU and works with no problems. So all roads just point to the CPU X4-860K as the problem for sure. Am working on RMA and getting some other processor right now. Have seem many other posts across the net from others with the same issue and they also are coming back to it being the CPU. This is of course after wasting time troubleshooting everything else first as that is what AMD and every other hardware maufacturer usually starts with. I've never had a processor that causes these kinds of problems so consistently, and I made sure to check and according to AMD all of the mobos I used were compatible with the processor. I think the entire CPU line needs to be recalled or at least AMD needs to find out why this keeps happening and fix that issue. Seems to be very unique to this processor and unfortunately with no integrated graphics as backup there doesnt seem to be a good fix. Generally the first time the CPU is installed on a board it does work, but in my experience it seems to only be a matter of time before it eventually fails on reboot or on a driver install. With the Gigabyte board and ASUS board it all seemed to be going OK and ASUS was working for a couple of days and then I ran Windows update from Windows 7 SP 1 64 bit and it came up with an AMD graphics driver update, and I had it set on auto so it tried to install the drivers. When it got to the display driver, as usual if using the catalyst control install, the screen would black out. Except this time it would never come back on and that was it, the CPU would not re-initialize any other the graphics cards I have. Granted I don't have any super expensive cards but again, they were all listed as compatible with both  the board and CPU. I think others that are saying how great this processor is must be using one of the more expensive graphics cards. All I know is I have never had such problems before or since with the graphics cards and they are working fine right now with other processors.