3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 4:04 AM by as118

APU's the Future of Gaming Computers?

tindeath

While at a local PC Gaming event (LAN Party), a conversation was making it's way around the event about APU's eventually dominating the PC gaming world. I felt a little out place, as research in the APU has not been high on my list. The conversation revolved around the new 6th generation AMD A-series APU and theories about system memory being integrated into APUs. I listened to many different view points, but seemed bias toward the APU with power consumption, smaller light weight builds (LAN party plus), and lower build cost.

Well there are many technical minded people on this forum, so I thought bringing it up here for discussion and get educated. Thanks.

Opinions or thoughts, greatly appreciated.

• Re: APU's the Future of Gaming Computers?
          crazycarl

Yeah I think that the APU or a variant of it will become the norm for most mainstream gaming PC's in the future. The APU die itself is mostly GPU so as we work toward smaller architectures the CPU portion will gain more power. I also do feel there will be stand alone CPUs  and GPUs because some people just like to have freedom that  allows in parts and swapping. Though in the computer world, it can change all at once with something new. The one thing that APUs have going is the newer ability for the GPU and CPU to work on the same task. Thats where they get the 12-cores. 4CPU=8GPU, If they get it to be the norm for programs to use the APUs in that fashion than we will really see their power.  So basically we won't know until it happens. The ways of the PC realm.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            shahnewaz

They are the future, not just gaming computers.

Integration is the future because of it's inherent advantages against separated dedicated chips. An integrated solution is cheaper, and consumes less power in every meaningful way, starting from a single IC to very very large scale integration.

There are also other fundamental reasons (unified memory, less copying, HSA, GPU acceleration, cache coherency) why AMD envisioned the unified CPU aka "APU" as the future and bought ATI.

That doesn't mean discrete GPUs will go away. Large scale specialized computing and professional space definitely benefits from discrete compute cards, but APUs are really the future of general purpose computing IMO.

Notable examples: AMD APU, Intel CPU with HD Graphics, Qualcomm Snapdragon, Samsung Exynos all have integrated graphics. The PS4 APU really shows what can be done with a gaming grade APU.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              as118

APU's are bottlenecked by the slow speed of DDR3 ram right now, but as DDR4 and HBM become more prevalent, I feel that APU's will be the solution for up to mid-range gaming in the future.  Basically, when the GPU side of the APU and the ram speed gets good enough, it's quite possible that we could up to R9 270x / GTX 960 level performance on an APU, which would mean that the average (not high end) gamer may be able to just grab a good APU + ram and be able to game quite well, and without as big of a power supply.

That's in the future though, not right now.  If that were to happen though, we could see the rise of the console-like gaming PC that only uses an APU.  Kind of like Steam Machines right now, but with only an APU, instead of with a 750Ti or R9 270.