8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 2:57 PM by shahnewaz

NO HBM(high bandwith memory) or Fiji GPU Coming Soon?

tindeath

According to this article (AMD Radeon 300 Series Prices Leak Ahead of Launch - Maximum PC ) and mentioned in a few social sites, it appears forthcoming Radeon 300 series graphics card will NOT feature AMD's Fiji GPU with High Bandwidth Memory (HBM). Instead, it looks as though AMD is tweaking and rebadging existing cards. Please tell me it this is untrue, please. Roy@AMD

• Re: NO HBM(high bandwith memory) or Fiji GPU Coming Soon?
          humbug

For one i wouldn't believe a single thing coming out of WCCFTech, or any tech review site before the 16'th

To answer your question, no one knows anything at this point, its all just speculation, but, in my humble opinion the most sensible of the unsubstantiated rumours is that Fiji is not one of the R9 300 series GPU's, instead it will be given a halo name, the name is rumoured to be "Fury" resurrecting an old ATI name.

This is the card rumoured to have HBM memory, all lower teir cards are rumoured to have the R300 series naming scheme with GDD5 memory.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              shahnewaz

The state of tech journalism nowadays.....

Absolutely abysmal, with ZERO regards to honesty, integrity, accuracy and bias. And that's painfully disappointing.

Don't forget the astroturfers, FUD spreaders, paid shills and brainless fanboys constantly bickering against each other.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  humbug

Agreed its pretty shocking, most of them seem to have their own agenda. WCCFTech are the worst among them.

I think Toms Hardware, Hardware Canuks and Tech Power Up are ok, Toms Hardware are the only ones who test Maxwell properly and tell you that its not always as power efficient as Nvidia say it is, that a GTX 970/80 can and sometimes does draw as much power as an R9 290X, depending on what its doing.

tindeath

Thanks for reply, I believe you are correct.  Supposedly the Radeon R9 3xx will remain "Hawaii (xt)" w/ddr5. Then the "new" architect gpu will be Radeon Fury(X) "Fiji (xt/pro)" w/hbm. Again just speculation. I currently use a re-branded card, the R9 280X is basically a rebranded Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition with small improvements to memory speed/bandwidth and the XFX R9-280X-TDFD (my card) does not support DirectX 12 (only 11.2). Anyways, has you stated, time will tell. Thanks

ModelLaunchCode nameFab (nm)Transistors (Million)Die Size (mm2)Bus interfaceMemory (MB)Clock rateConfig core1FillrateMemory2Processing Power
                  GFLOPS
                  TDP3 (W)GFLOPS/W
                  Single Precision
                  API support (version)
                  Core (MHz)Boost (MHz)Memory (MHz)Pixel (GP/s)Texture (GT/s)Bandwidth (GB/s)Bus typeBus width (bit)Single PrecisionDouble PrecisionIdleMax.DirectXOpenGLOpenCL
                  Radeon HD 797001/09/12Tahiti XT284313352PCIe 3.0 ×163072
                  925 13752050:08:3229.6118.4264GDDR53843788.8947.21525015.15511.24.42
                  Radeon R9 280X10/08/13Tahiti XT2
                  Tahiti XTL
                  284313352PCIe 3.0 ×16307285010001500 (Effective 6000)2050:08:3227.2109288GDDR53843481.6
                  Unknown25013.912.0[36]4.3[36]2
                      humbug

Yeah i don't know where the "390X = Rebranded 290X" comes from but it looks like they are deducing that from the specifications being the same as Hawaii.

Put two and two together you get four, seems reasonable.

Ok so, On the face of it Tonga is exactly the same GPU as Tahiti, it has the same specifications, 1796 to 2048 Shaders - 32 ROP's... but they are not the same GPU.

One is Tonga, a GCN 1.2 GPU with over 2x the Tessellation Throughput, Delta Colour Compression, Texture Compression.... the other has none of those things, it is Tahiti, GCN 1.0, a different architecture. Tonga is faster per Shader.

Likewise this has the same specifications as Hawaii, but its not listed as Hawaii, its listed as Grenada, this may indicate that like Tonga is to Tahiti it has the same specifications but is also not the same GPU.

Or they are the same GPU and AMD have indeed just reboxed it with a clock bump, but personally i doubt that, people are going to know its just a reboxed factory overclocked 290X, AMD must know this and they have a better faster GPU architecture already available.

as118

I'd say wait until the 16th and see what happens.  WCCFTech, and to a lesser extent, Fudzilla, is/are the worst places to get news, as they spew tons of speculation and rumors with little to no confirmation, and have terrible communities full of trolls and little to no moderation I've been able to see.  It's so bad in fact, that I try to go anywhere else for news when possible.