0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 1:15 PM by sirmatthewofhodge

A question about the FX-8350 and it's TDP

sirmatthewofhodge

I have a liquid cooled FX-8350 (125w TDP) on a 140w max TDP motherboard...

I've only overclocked it a few times to 4.4ghz to run Firestrike and did notice a slight improvement in my score(8400 to 8700). The reason I don't overclock more often is that I don't think a 5fps increase in a game is worth pushing my system that hard.

Although, I'm sure some cpu intensive games (especially ones that don't scale to 8 threads well) would show maybe 10-15+ fps increase.

I had no issues, but I was concerned about my board's 140w TDP limit. I wonder if pushing the FX-8350 to 4.4-4.5 was maxing out around 140w, or more.

Perhaps I don't quite understand TDP, and maybe someone can explain it to me.

I was well within my thermal limits during prime95 tests @ 4.4ghz so I know I'll hit my VRM wall before I hit a temp wall.

How much can you push a 125w TDP FX-8350 on a 4+1 phase 140w TDP board? (I have a 80 plus gold 850w psu)

If 4.5ghz would be safe for 140w TDP I wouldn't go any higher than that. I think I did fairly well in the silicon lottery, 4.4ghz was stable at the stock voltage 1.344.

My motherboard is an asus M5A78L-M/USB3. (with custom heat sinks attached to the vrm mosfets)

If you ask why I have an FX-8350 on that board, I only have one gpu so I have no need for the extra pci-e lanes on a 970 or 990 chipset, plus I wanted an mtx build. It's the best matx am3+ board available IMO.

It's been running great for me, and the stock clock with 4.1/4.2ghz turbo boost seems to be enough for my games. I still wouldn't mind a little better performance if it's stable.

If anyone knows what TDP a 4.5ghz FX-8350 is pushing, that would be great. If it's under 140w that would be even better!

Any input would be awesome, Thanks!!!

Complete system specs should be on my profile.