AnsweredAssumed Answered

A question about the FX-8350 and it's TDP

Question asked by sirmatthewofhodge on Jun 10, 2015

I have a liquid cooled FX-8350 (125w TDP) on a 140w max TDP motherboard...

I've only overclocked it a few times to 4.4ghz to run Firestrike and did notice a slight improvement in my score(8400 to 8700). The reason I don't overclock more often is that I don't think a 5fps increase in a game is worth pushing my system that hard.

Although, I'm sure some cpu intensive games (especially ones that don't scale to 8 threads well) would show maybe 10-15+ fps increase.

I had no issues, but I was concerned about my board's 140w TDP limit. I wonder if pushing the FX-8350 to 4.4-4.5 was maxing out around 140w, or more.

Perhaps I don't quite understand TDP, and maybe someone can explain it to me.

I was well within my thermal limits during prime95 tests @ 4.4ghz so I know I'll hit my VRM wall before I hit a temp wall.

How much can you push a 125w TDP FX-8350 on a 4+1 phase 140w TDP board? (I have a 80 plus gold 850w psu)

If 4.5ghz would be safe for 140w TDP I wouldn't go any higher than that. I think I did fairly well in the silicon lottery, 4.4ghz was stable at the stock voltage 1.344.

My motherboard is an asus M5A78L-M/USB3. (with custom heat sinks attached to the vrm mosfets)

If you ask why I have an FX-8350 on that board, I only have one gpu so I have no need for the extra pci-e lanes on a 970 or 990 chipset, plus I wanted an mtx build. It's the best matx am3+ board available IMO.

It's been running great for me, and the stock clock with 4.1/4.2ghz turbo boost seems to be enough for my games. I still wouldn't mind a little better performance if it's stable.

If anyone knows what TDP a 4.5ghz FX-8350 is pushing, that would be great. If it's under 140w that would be even better!

Any input would be awesome, Thanks!!!

Complete system specs should be on my profile.

Outcomes