4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 5:17 PM by tindeath

FrankenGamer

dirtyprank

Description

I bought this rig in 2012 as my first gaming pc from CyberPowerPC. It originally had a Radeon HD 7750. After a few years of upgrades and experimenting, I've replaced everything except the CPU and mobo, and learned a lot about pc building and performance in the process. This is now my living room gaming device, having replaced my consoles.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Specifications

CPUIntel i7 3820
      CoolerThermal Take
      MotherboardGigabyte GA-X79-UD3 rev 1.0
      MemoryG.Skill Ares 2133 MHz 2x8GB DDR3
      GraphicsPowerColor TurboDuo Radeon R9 290X
      Disc Drive 1Intel 530 Series SSD 180 GB
      Disc Drive 22x1TB Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0
      Disc Drive 3DVD-DL burner (not that anyone cares about these anymore)
      PSURaidmax 1000W 80+ Gold
      CaseCorsair
      Monitor1080P Samsung TV

3DMark Firestrike score: AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820 Processor,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X79-UD3

Overall: 9703. Graphics: 11607. Physics: 9699. Combined: 4353.

Grand Theft Auto V: 1920 x 1080, High Settings

Min: 50, Max: 97, Avg: 70

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Multiplayer: 1920 x 1080, Max Settings

Min: 77, Max: 93, Avg: 91. (Multiplayer locked at 90)

More in-game benchmarks to come....

Notes:

- So I messed up with the RAM configuration. This CPU and mobo support 4 channel DDR3. For max optimization, I should have gone with 4x4GB rather than 2x8.

- Sometime in the next year or two I'll be looking into upgrading the CPU (maybe an FX model?). Just prior to that, going to give overclocking my first go. Curious to see how high I can get, and what the real-world performance difference will be.

- Curiously, I've had stability issues with 32 bit apps/games in the 64 bit OS since purchase. CyberPowerPC couldn't figure it out. Those instabilities are part of the reason I started replacing components. At one point, I installed a 32 bit version of Windows, and those same apps ran great. Still scratching my head over that.