37 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 8:39 AM by jtrudeau

Spam Attack

ray_m

Although it's not apparent, these forums continue to be under attack from spammers, from what appears to be Korea.

I was able to enable 'moderation required for users with < 100 points', so this his prevented the spam posts from taking over the main timeline, but rest assured, they're cluttering up my moderation queue !

New users might be temporarily inconvenienced, but we have no other option until we find a way around this problem.

Ray

• Re: Spam Attack
          goodplay

They haven't given up,just plucked a half doz.

savagebeastzero

I noticed that a few moments ago as well. I wonder why this sudden targeting of the site in this malicious manner as of late? Considering the newly launched changes to the site and the impending launch of the "300" series is on our door step, this is most definitely not a good time for the site to be bombarded like this. Quite a few eyes will be directed here because of AMD's increased visibility as of late and until/after launch. One can't help but, speculate that it seems all too coincidental to be just that.

kingfish

It's could be in retaliation for giving the boot to that piece of garbage webhost these forums had.

Or, maybe North Korea is beginning it's attack and started with the AMD Support Forum

150177_367882659994059_2042198079_n.jpg

FWIW: we're keeping an eye. We have exempted some groups of trusted users from any moderation requirements, even if they don't have the requisite 100 points. Doesn't affect the people on this list, but it does help the occasional AMD employee who shows up to help.

Next we're going to see how points are accumulated to ensure that doesn't get gamed by spammers to bypass moderation.

As for conspiracy theories... well you never know. Personally I doubt it. JIVE-based communities are regularly challenged by SPAM attacks. I'm joining a private group in the JIVE community to learn and share best practices in how to defend. So you know we are not alone.

As you may know, DevGurus has been using Jive for about 3 years. We didn't have this problem, but to avoid it we moderated EVERYTHING. We had a huge number of spammers, but they had no impact on the community. But all the moderation sucked big time for everyone. Delays getting posts up, especially over weekends.

We're learning how to get away with moderating almost nothing.... so found ourselves open to attack. We'll close the door. And thank you guys for patience, understanding, and helping.

savagebeastzero

Thank you for your communication, it really makes all the difference! It makes situations like this much more bearable, when you know there's a good team behind everything. Keep up the good work.

kingfish

"" Next we're going to see how points are accumulated to ensure that doesn't get gamed by spammers to bypass moderation "". Yeah that's the tricky part. A future spammer could sign up, post answers 'I agree' and 'likes' and build points. 

black_zion

If all posts were Captcha verified, or if a person was required to answer a simple question ("19-7=?" or "Which flies, a jet or a boat?") it'd go a long way toward killing the mass spammer problem.

savagebeastzero

Agreed, that's something that I noticed quite a bit across the forums already. Users who had just created their accounts, were simply spamming as often as possible thinking they were going unnoticed. I could understand if this was set up akin to Steam, where depending on your level, you can add more functionality to your profile but, there's really no benefit to obtaining the points in it's current status aside from one establishing themselves in the community in the role that suits themselves and the community best, whatever that may be.

Most users that do this, tend to forget that, the members with the most "cred' in point distribution systems such as this are simply older, technically more experienced, incredibly willing to help and more than likely have a professional background in varied fields that just happen to coincide with being able problem solve technically in a vast amount of subjects, thus making it easier for us. That combined with a passion for in this case AMD™/Computer based technology and it's a perfect storm for OCD to kick in an begin answering questions in a consistent and rapid fashion.

So pending they continue to have that same passion over the years, the knowledge will follow just by reading replies and then eventually they will begin responding to questions they do know the answers to and the cred will follow. The next things they know, perhaps suddenly they'll have a wife that complains too much, three kids, a weird hair(s) that grows where it didn't before, a house they hate repairing as often as they do, talking about the weather even though they're behind a computer 95% of their day and a powerhouse rig that, they love because it's the only thing that happily takes commands without creating a fuss.

Then one day they'll have the...

1w23e4r5.jpg

So there's really no need to falsify and rush obtaining points because, it's not about points, that's not what they mean, it's about not always only about the knowledge one may possess but, your willingness to share the knowledge you do and the time it takes to do so which never happens overnight. They need to understand that the reason some users accrue points at a rapid rate is simply because they are enjoying themselves by helping and being a part of a community. Simply put, they're having fun in their own way and that's all that matters with anything in life and points don't necessarily equal respect anyways which, the latter can be had easily by showing it to others on day one by being friendly, willing to learn and polite, it goes farther than most think..

kingfish

Willy Wong and his gang were back this AM. I shot down 6 scuds. One of the user names was OPMANIA who had a little fluffy white dog as his picture icon. He had accumulated 225 points.

savagebeastzero

I was caught off guard, that pic had me rolling!

ray_m

You shouldn't be seeing any at all since I've enabled mod required for all new accounts.

I'll look into it.

goodplay

It's the same mob from  the other day.

One of them was a little stubborn this time.Got an error reporting it(page went into what seemed like an RSS Feed?).Report worked second time on it.

savagebeastzero

I didn't think to take a screen capture here in the forums when it occurred but, here's a screen capture of my email notifications that match what I had seen then by the same user.

AMD Forum Spammers.jpg

ray_m

What do you mean by "email notifications' ? From this forum ?

lehjr

A quick Google search of that username reveals the person or group has been busy and shows up on the "Stop Forum Spam" site. Though this kind of thing is pretty common, I don't remember ever seeing someone so actively advertising for a site that apparently doesn't even exist.

savagebeastzero

You're correct, there's an incredibly large amount of data available in regards to other "spam attacks" associated with this user, as well as the others who were also involved this past weekend. Sadly though the data available isn't very informative, other than the fact that this concludes that AMD™ wasn't the sole target. Eventually their attack method will be isolated, it's just a shame that the AMD™ staff and members have to devote time to this at such a positive time in the AMD™ forums history. Either way, I have the confidence that the AMD™ staff will resolve this before long and we'll all be able to utilize the site without issue.

kingfish

Could this have anything to do with some of ours posts showing our real name rather than the user name?

Update for the community

We have tweaked the point system to (hopefully) prevent a spammer from getting unmoderated access to the community.

We're considering a couple of other strategies, but let's see whether the latest tweaks have a positive impact.

Once again, thanks to the community for patience, held, and suggestions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                savagebeastzero

spammers.jpg

amdmatt jtrudeau ray_m black_zion kingfish backFireX64

Something most definitely isn't right. Suddenly there are an insane amount of users compiling thousands of points when they haven't even been involved in the community actively over the past month.  The reputation list is recycling with multiple new users too often to be legit. We really need complete access to the reputation list, instead of only having 9 members available per page and no way of viewing who these other offenders are aside from the below users. This all happened in well under thirty minutes.

https://community.amd.com/people/nou

https://community.amd.com/people/Meteorhead

https://community.amd.com/people/realhet

https://community.amd.com/people/yurtesen

https://community.amd.com/people/omkaranathan

genaganna

LeeHowes

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                    backFireX64

An exploit in the code perhaps ? Oh well...

savagebeastzero

Upon further inspection, it seems they all have previous posting history dating back to 2012. All valid posts in regards to OpenCl and the like, yet why did this suddenly update now?

ray_m

They appear to be members of the devguru's forum. Maybe jtrudeau will know ?

savagebeastzero

Ah perhaps so.  That makes a bit more sense, this is more than likely the first time they signed in since the recent changes.

Meteorhead

Communication lines seem to malfunction. Indeed, most of the people on the screenshot (such as myself) are members of the devgurus forum, and as you can see, we have been members for 5-6 years now. (Active users that is) Indeed jtrudeau awarded us the points in one big bucket due to the recent changes on the forum through which we have lost all credit to our contributions thus far.

Instead of being offended for being confused for a Korean spammer, I'll just let you know that Lee Howes for instance (AFAIK) is a former member of AMD heavily involved in OpenCL SDK development, most certainly not a spammer. I am just a run-of-the-mill fanboy and scientist (in Hungary, not Korea).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                        savagebeastzero

Hey Meteorhead,

No offense intended and as you can see I had realized after my initial comment that I discovered you had all previously been active within devgurus. When considering the past spamming attacks over the last few weeks (weekends in particular), the sudden surge in points via a large group concurrently in a incredibly short period, most of the profiles that had suddenly obtained said points visually appeared to be newly created (no profile pics, info etc) accounts and well.....I'm sure you can see how this appeared to me initially, during this sudden influx.

In haste, during my I'll fated attempt to collect as much information as possible to pass along to the admin before the situation got out of control, I was simply going profile to profile attempting to collect each users homepage links that were immediately viewable, so they had some data in regards to everything as we were easily overwhelmed during the last spam attack and that wasn't always possible during certain periods.

After I had collected the initial information, I searched further into each accounts post history and discovered quite a bit of past involvement. So, I do apologize for my initial assumption but, I hope you understand it was during the moment for the better of the AMD™ community in a whole and nothing more. Anyways, congratulations on obtaining your much deserved points back (I've since read quite a few of the "groups" contributions) and I hope you all continue doing such a great job being involved in the devgurus/AMD™ community.

I do appreciate you being so transparent in regards to the situation which, wasn't necessary but very much so appreciated. Your statement above has brought much needed clarity and relief in light of the recent issues and I'm quite glad it was just a false alarm. So, miscommunication aside, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance and look forward to seeing you in the forums.

I hope you enjoy your weekend and thank you for informing us once again, take care.

Meteorhead

No offense taken. I understand that moderating a forum is not a happy task and one questions the motive of those behind such actions. I too was very much frustrated the first time I read commercials in places where actual information should have been. Having to wait for moderation after every comment did insert some delay into conversations, but we all figured it's a sacrifice we had to make in order for the forums to continue to function. And even then, it was not us making the sacrifice, rather than the people taking up the task of moderation.

Anyhow, the new forums look nice. Jive does tend to be a little too different from anything out there to present itself as daunting, but I'll give it some time, maybe the added value of all the things built atop "just a forum" prove themselves worthy of the time spent learning them. At least the mobile version loads fine on my Windows Phone (though awfully slowly).

Ah weekends My failure to communicate.  Didn't realize how much visibility that change had. I'm used to DevGurus living by itself.

Those people are my all time great DevGurus community members, active for years. When we changed platforms, they lost all accumulated points. And, we're counting points differently. So I put them more or less back where they should be. A manual change for a half dozen folks to recognize their huge value to the community. As we mature and settle in, there's a fair chance the # of points will actually matter over on DevGurus, not just as a measure of how much you help.

Meteorhead kingfish ray_m

1 of 1 people found this helpful