6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 3:38 PM by tazmo8448

Windows 10, Will my graphics card be supported?

firemedic16948

How do I find out if a certain graphics card will be supported in Windows 10?  For Example AMD Radeon HD 6520G or AMD Radeon HD 7520G.

• Re: Windows 10, Will my graphics card be supported?
          goodplay

Look to the right side of post.Under "MORE LIKE THIS".Re:windows 10 and ..................

Have a read.

Edit:I now see it is no longer there(I won't do that again).

kingfish Thanks.

kingfish

goodplay This is why I keep asking for a FAQ section. The chart to the right constantly changes and there is no way for a poster to easily find the answer to these repetitive questions

goodplay

kingfish wrote:

goodplay This is why I keep asking for a FAQ section. The chart to the right constantly changes and there is no way for a poster to easily find the answer to these repetitive questions

Totally agree with FAQ section,but needs to be in plain sight of any one visiting site(logged in or not)..

Obvious choice to me is "STICKY" at top of "Support Forums" topic(thread) listing.Said FAQ should also contain official AMD links to driver download, AMD FAQ For Eyefinity,Xfire,....,How to's etc..

Do we need to start a Poll,to get it implemented.

Of course,at present ,they do have other urgent matters.

Apologies to OP for this off topic.

gonza2684

AMD Radeon HD 6520G or AMD Radeon HD 7520G DON’T support DirectX 12

kingfish

Q: What AMD Radeon™ GPUs or AMD APUs will be compatible with DirectX® 12?

A: When paired with a DirectX® 12-ready graphics driver, the following GPUs will be compatible with DirectX® 12: AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 series, HD 7000M series, HD 8000 series, HD 8000M series, R9 series and R7 series. AMD A-series APUs based on the Graphics Core Next architecture will also be compatible with DirectX® 12 when paired with a DirectX® 12-ready graphics driver.

Q: Which AMD products are supported in the Windows® 10 technical preview?

A: All AMD processors are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. In addition, all DirectX® 9-compatible (or higher) accelerated processing units and AMD Radeon™ graphics cards are supported in the Windows® 10 technical preview. Specific legacy products (e.g., AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 series) may require use of drivers provided by Microsoft® through Windows Update with their Windows® 10 installation.

Q: Which graphics driver should I use for my AMD Radeon™ GPU or AMD APU?

A: Microsoft has indicated that updated device drivers are not required at this time, as existing device drivers are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. AMD Radeon™ graphics and accelerated processing unit customers should use the latest available drivers from Windows Update until official Windows 10 driver support is posted on amd.com at a later date.

In other words, for the Preview version of Windows 10, you should use the drivers furnished by Microsoft for that version of the Preview. The Microsoft drivers do not have the full functionality that a AMD driver gives. When Windows 10 is finalized and released to the public, AMD will have the drivers for it.

And...Microsoft did not say "Your drivers are not compatible".

AMD Radeon™ graphics and accelerated processing unit customers should use the latest available drivers from Windows Update until official Windows 10 driver support is posted on amd.com at a later date.

tazmo8448

And...Microsoft did not say "Your drivers are not compatible".

that is exactly what my upgrade said on my laptop that has dual cards one for battery use other for normal use;  Radeon HD4XXX & HD 5XXX series respectivley. Both cards are listed as incompatible even though they have the 15.7 update and are rated DX11 cards. M$ & AMD need to address this issue or the DX12 devs but somebody does as all OS updates or upgrades to this point in time the gfx card was a non-issue, now it can be a deal killer as laptops gfx are embedded to the mobo. 'ya gotta dance with the one that brung ya'

BTW i ran the W10 upgrade using an older gfx driver and when I got the message after the update/upgrade settled down the little window stated my gfx was incompatible so I did the autodetect on AMD and got the 15.7 updated version used DDU graphic uninstaller then installed 15.7 and still got the same error message, ''your graphic drivers are incompatible try installing a newer graphic driver'' or somehing to that effect. So yes Virginia all gfx cards are not acceptable no matter what DX version they are running.

I'm pretty sure good ole AMD will come up with a fix/workaround/patch/update thingy before too long meanwhile good ole Win7 ain't such a dog anyway.

another btw, what i did see of W10 on the craptop i wasn't wild about and may stick to W7 anyway....too many apps too little navigational ease (no yare there) M$ in my book wants to turn everything into one big smartphone and am too old school for that mess.