8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 9:07 AM by Cornugon

Windows 10 Upgrade path

Cornugon

So as we all know: anyone with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 is eligible for a one-year-timed free offer of Windows 10.

When it becomes available the end of next month, people are allowed to choose to Upgrade to it right away or at a later date.

Since we all know that a CLEAN Windows installation is generally preferred over an in-place upgrade, this option will be offered as well, but only AFTER upgrading to Win 10 first (so that particular copy+key will be locked to your system, probably to try to eliminate the option of reselling those Win 10 copies). Or at least this is the most recent word on it.

The version of Windows 10 you get is dependant on your current Win 7/8.1 version. Home Premium and lower get a Home Premium Windows 10, and Professional and Ultimate users get the Professional version (with some needed additions).

And here comes my question:

At the start of this year I upgraded my Windows 7 Professional to Windows  8.1 Home Premium. And thus I'm currently eligible to the Home Premium version of Windows 10.

Naturally I should reinstall Windows 7 Pro on this system and let it upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

My ACTUAL question is: would the best route be to install Win 7 on a seperate partition, install Service Pack 1, and probably most Windows Updates, let it update to Windows 10 the end of next month, and THEN do a clean installation on my main drive using that particular version/key instead of my current Win 8.1 install? Or would it be better to reinstall 7 over my 8.1?

• Re: Windows 10 Upgrade path
          black_zion

I would say to reinstall Windows 7 Pro as your primary OS, and use that copy of Windows 8.1 on another computer, either for resale or as a spare. Then when Windows 7 updates to Windows 10, I don't think 2 months of work is going to make any difference in terms of a clean vs upgrade install.

Cornugon

The thing is: I rather keep my current 8.1 install these two months than reverting back to 7, essentially doing two clean installations in two months time. That's why I would like to know if it would be sufficient to just install 7 to some seperate partition, allow it to update to 10, and in the end doing the a clean installation in place of my current Win 8.1 installation. Maybe having the latter updating to W10 first too.

kingfish

Off the subject a bit, but I decided to reformat my Win7 computer. Put my DVD disk in (ISO disk) and when it asked for my key code...it was not recognized " would you like to buy a copy, etc. Went to Microsoft, entered my key code to download a Win7 ISO file...that key is not associated with this account. I did not renew my MSDN license a couple of years ago..let it lapse, don't need it. All my computers, except for a Asus laptop and a Toshiba laptop, have self installed, MSDN licensed Operating systems. Also, all my Office installations are showing "key not associated" stuff. I am not sure I can even get the free upgrade even if I wanted to. Unless this is resolved, looks like I will be buying Win10..and if so, it certainly won't be the Home Premium/we will update and check your programs for legitimacy version.

Thanny

If you're going to do a clean install later, doing a temp install of 7 Pro seems the best option to me.  It's not at all clear that you'd be able to do a useful install of 7 over 8.1 anyway (i.e. with installed programs still installed, and other customizations).

Cornugon

I thought as much. By the way, would it be better to disable the SSD first so that the Windows 7 installation doesn't mess with the Master Boot Record of the SSD? Or am I still hanging about in ancient pre-SSD times where the MBR was ALWAYS installed on the primary disk/partition (probably pre-SATA too...hmmm)?

EDIT: Well apparently the 'messing with the MBR' didn't change. I installed Win 7 to a different drive (without disconnecting the SSD first), and it DID change the MBR on the primary drive (the SSD), but instead of destroying my Win 8.1 installation it 'only just' added a dual-boot feature

backFireX64

I would personally wait for the time that i want and can upgrade to W10, then clean format the PC (delete all partitions on C:/ and on all additional hard drives with installed programs)  and make a fresh windows 7 installation, along with all available updates.

Then upgrade directly to windows 10 from there.

I think it is cleaner and safer that way. And i say "i think", cause w10 is much closer to w8.1 than w7, so it would theoretically be more ideal to upgrade from a clean w8.1 installation, if you had a w8 key instead.

Cornugon

I understand your reasoning. However the thing is, I'd like to do a clean installation of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8.1. But this option becomes available only after upgrading your Windows 7/8 installation (you'll probably get the key after the upgrade, essentially locking that particular copy to your account).

So the path I've chosen, and which I'm currently in the middle of, is installing and updating Windows 7 Pro to a different drive and partition than my Windows 8.1 install, allow it to get upgraded to Windows 10 Pro after the end of next month, and then perform a complete clean reinstallation of Windows 10 (burned to dvd probably) with that key, replacing the 8.1 install in the mean time.

And since it will be a clean installation eventually it shouldn't matter much wether it's upgraded from 7 or 8.1.

Although it might not be a bad idea to let 8.1 update to 10 Home Premium FIRST, and get that one stored away with key. Might come in handy for a new/other computer in the future.