Disc Drive 1OCZ Arc100 240gb
      Disc Drive 21th Seagate Baracuda
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSUThermaltake Evo Blue 650w
      CaseThermaltake Core V51
      MonitorAn Old Samsung SyncMaster 225MD
        • Re: Pointless
          duramax08

Whats "pointless" about it? Looks like a nice rig and must be serving you well! How often do you have to refill your reservoir (tank)?

maskedmuchacho

It seemed a bit pointless because If I had spent the money the cooling cost then I could have bought an i7 had had a much faster system in most cases but that would have been no fun, I have wanted to build a custom loop for years so I just did it. :-P

dirtyprank

I'd love to see what kind of overclocking you can reach on this very nice rig. Wonder if you can push that 290 past the main manufacturers? Only concern I would have is if the 650w PSU has enough overhead to push both the CPU and GPU to near thermal limits. Do update if you get around to trying!

maskedmuchacho

The PSU will be my next upgrade, this one is getting pretty old now and I want the extra capacity to add another 290 sometime plus a bit of headroom to push the limits with overclocking,  I'll probably put a better full cover block on the 290 though as the alphacool GPX still lets the VRMs get a little too toasty for my liking.

I haven't tried any overclocking with the Formula-Z yet as I'm still checking it's stable at stock since I bought it used, I did have the CPU at 4.6ghz on my old MSI 990FXA-GD65 at 1.4v and it never went over 45 degrees at full stress, 51 degrees when stressing both cpu and gpu so I have a fair bit of headroom with the cooling.  That board wouldn't let me go over 1.44v and the VRMs would over heat and throttle unless I pointed a huge noisy fan at them. :-(

I have had my R9 290 core at 1170 and ram at 1475, it completed a firestike run but I don't think I could use that 24/7.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  gakagammy

Pretty nice rig