2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 2:57 AM by as118

My little story

lacrymosa

Hello community!

My name is Michael and I am from Greece. I had the bad luck to be born in a country of liars, hypocrites and non thinkable cratures. As more of you may have heard there is an economic crysis here. I also had the bad luck to grow to become a computer enthusiast. Currently I am running on an FX 8350, an asRock 970 extreme 4 mb, 6gb of dd3, a chieftec 550w psu and a Corsair 750D case. My cpu is liquid cooled by an XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 water cooling kit. As you understand it is a very high end "gaming" computer. The reason gaming is quoted is because I got an AMD Radeon HD 5770 gpu which is a very old and outdated gpu for this system. I currently cant afford a new GPU because the prices here are very high. You see I am a student at University and I have to save money for a year for every part I want to buy. Let me give you an example on how much more expensive pc parts are in Greece. An R9 290 in America costs about 280-320 $ but the same GPU in Greece costs about 320-380 euros whis is 360-425$. This pricing difference dosen't apply only on electronics. It applies everywhere even on food supplies. Given the fact that the mid sallary in Greece is at about 700 euros which translates to 780$ you can understand the situation here.

I just wanted to describe the situation here and let people know that it is not the goverment to blame for this situation but all of the Greeks. I know I might be off topic but I really wanted to share these thoughts. Every day I wake up and check the prices to see if there is a proper GPU I can afford.

Thanks for listening,

Michael.

• Re: My little story
          shahnewaz

Wow, thanks for sharing this with us.

Hopefully you will get a decent GPU for the money. Always look out for deals.

And as always, have patience, good friend.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: My little story
            as118

Yeah, sorry to hear that.  I hope things get better for you and that Greece recovers soon.  I was in a similar situation to you for a while, with a rig that only had a 6120, 8gb of 1333 ram, and a 6770 (basically a rebadged 5770), but eventually I got  new job and earned enough to get a 270x.

Hopefully you'll be able to get something better soon.  When the next Radeon 300 series and the rumored Fury card come out this month, it may lead to price drops on the older stuff, so you may be able to grab the 200 series (or the higher end 7000 series like the 7850 or 7870 or even the 7900 stuff) at cheap prices.  You can also buy used stuff for cheap if you know it's from a reputable source.