73 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 9:59 AM by jtrudeau

AMD Haven't Updated Driver Files In Over 6 Months

quejikos

Why haven't AMD updated their driver files in over six months (since Omega 14.12)? Don't try to tell me they're updating the driver without the file versions changing because that's not how software development works. I don't care about unofficial leaks, by the way. If it's not on AMD.com, it's meaningless. All they seem to be doing is adding insignificant CAP/Catalyst Application Profiles (which used to be separate downloads) for every driver "update" after Omega.

Note: I'm not referring to WHQL. All drivers from AMD since Omega have the same file versions (Direct3D, Mantle, etc. which are listed in Information > Software section of Catalyst Control Center), including the latest 15.5 beta.

• Re: AMD Haven't Updated Driver Files In Over 6 Months
          noelc

What is it that you hope for a new driver release to do?

Are you seeing problems with the current version?  Slow operation with a particular program?  Are you missing some new feature the competition has?

I don't know about you but for me the Omega drivers seem to be as close to perfect as humanly possible.  My system runs all the time between reboots mandated by Windows Updates without fault.  Usually that's 2 weeks or more of 100% uptime.  It's hard to want more.

Everyone would of course like more performance from any given hardware platform, but realistically, don't expect big performance gains from driver updates.

-Noel

3 of 7 people found this helpful
              quejikos

...I hope a new driver would improve performance in new games such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Grand Theft Auto V, Project CARS, etc. and close the gap between the R9 290 and NVIDIA's GTX 970... but that's probably too much to ask from the as of late (i.e. past six months or so) disorganized and incompetent AMD.

hsone

noelc wrote:

What is it that you hope for a new driver release to do?

Are you seeing problems with the current version?

Open GL issues : Star Wars KOTOR ,etc (somewhat easy to fix)

Open CL issues : Premiere Pro CC and up will crash if hardware acceleration enabled  (cant be fixed)

Other issues : Display not waking up after long time  idle Windows 8.1

So yeah everything is working fine if used 13.11 beta driver & Windows 7. But wait a second ,13.1 was out 2 years ago!

Next time think b4 u posting & mb do something else on your PC to find out whats up.

Cornugon

Did nVidia update their driver files? Most of their drivers released in the last six months are 'game ready' drivers, with no significant updates aside from performance tweaks and 'CAPs' for a variety of games.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    quejikos

I don't own an NVIDIA GPU. Based on a cursory search, they do update their driver files with each driver release (as one should expect...). Also, I don't believe NVIDIA incorporate any form of 'CAP'.

My point is that AMD seemingly abandoned driver development for Windows 8/7 more than six months ago, and they've been rehashing the same driver since. Their focus now appears to be on Windows 10 drivers, which is fine, if it hadn't come at the cost of sub-par drivers/performance for Windows 8/7 users for so long...

tekkiaussie

AMD have released 3 new drivers since the 14.12 Omega Driver, Driver Packages 15.3, 15.4 and 15.5 have all been released since then.

If you are looking for version changes in the Direct3D, DirectGL, 2D Driver and Mantle parts of the drivers then you should be aware that those "API's" have not changed recently and are running stable with their current versions. Why would AMD update/fix something which is working fine? Unless there are updates of those API's there is no need to update/fix them. Just to say, the main part of the Driver which AMD works on is the "Driver Packaging Version". That is the part of the driver which controls how the Card handles things. The other parts are how the API's handle things, and seeing as they work, there is no need to update them.

The "Driver Packaging Version" of the AMD drivers has been updated 3 further times since the 14.12 Omega drivers in the Beta driver packages mentioned above.

Also, only the last 2 packages (15.4 & 15.5) were CAP/CrossFire Profile additions, which were released due to some major game releases. If you dont like those being released, you can talk with all the other people demanding them and explain why they are "insignificant" (as you called them). Ha.

2 of 5 people found this helpful
                        hacktun3d

Ithink it's pretty funny when people suggest the 290 needs to "catch up" to the 970. I have both and my 290 plays quite a few games much smoother than my overclocked 970. FC4 and Witcher 3 to be specific. GTA V is the same on both. Not sure what OP is wanting honestly. Remember the grass is always greener on the other side... until you get there.

quejikos

Pretty sure everything you just said is untrue.

Driver Packaging Version is the main part of the driver? That's absurd. Direct3D, Mantle, etc. are the driving factors in performance in their respective games. If you're saying those API versions (as listed in Information > Software section of Catalyst Control Center) belong to Windows, again, you're clueless. They correspond with files from AMD's driver and determine how your GPU will perform.

Why update something which is functioning? Are you serious? If AMD is towing this line, they really have given up.

You really don't know what you're talking about, and the factual way you state everything is a great way to spread misinformation.

tekkiaussie

OK, I will lay out my side so you can put forth your counter for it:

1. AMD has released 3 drivers since the 14.12 Omega Driver (15.3, 15.4 & 15.5)

- This is a fact and therefore cannot be "untrue".

2. Direct3D, DirectGL, 2D Driver and Mantle parts of the driver are stable

- If you know anything about these API's being unstable please explain as from what I know they have been working very well for a while.

3. The Driver Packaging Version (as written in the CCC > Information > Software) is the main part that AMD change over time -

- I have to admit that I am not one of the driver programmers. As such I cannot give you a 100% guarantee that this is the case, but based on my personal experience and a logical examination of driver releases I am pretty sure that this is the case.

- Also unless you are one of the AMD driver programmers how would you confirm this as untrue or not?

4. That 15.3 had more then just CAP/CrossFire Profile additions

- Again another "Fact" which you can find out about if you read the release notes.

- Also FreeSync users can also verify that this driver package was the one which enabled support for these devices. (Therefore, not just CAP/CrossFire Profile additions were added)

5. That the 2 drivers since then, namely 15.4 and 15.5, were released with CAP/CrossFire Profile additions due to game releases

- You can also find this information in the release notes for both of these drivers

I believe that those are all the things which I said in my post. So if you think "everything I said is untrue" I would be happy to hear why it is that you think so.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  quejikos

*sigh*

1. Red herring - wasn't referring to this at all.

2. I... don't even know how to broach this one with you. There's more expected from a driver than stability, especially GPU drivers. There's a reason why they used to be monthly. Keyword here is performance. Any time a new game is released and AMD or NVIDIA has had time to analyze it, there are undoubtedly changes that can be made to the driver to improve performance in a given game.

3. 'Driver Packaging Version' - this should be self-explanatory... It's merely related to the archiving of all the driver files, that we later extract during installation, into that EXE 'package' we all download from AMD.com.

4. 14.3? Did you mean 15.3? To simplify things for you, the Direct3D Version is the most important component, generally speaking since most games are Direct3D/DirectX based, and that has been 9.14.10.01080 since Omega.

5. Not denying that. All releases after Omega, however, have been mere CAP updates and are incapable of delivering significant performance gains. For real gains, the files related to Direct3D Version, Mantle, etc. (the crucial ones are typically SYS or DLL files - have a look at Device Manager in Windows and Driver Details for a list) must be changed/updated and thus the version number would be different...

None of this is very concise. I think my IQ dropped 20 points just trying to explain this to you.

Side note: Who keeps marking your answers as correct? You or some ignorant moderator?

tekkiaussie

From what I can tell, in all your posts you have never once stated what it is that is not working. The only thing I can tell in this whole thread is that you are upset that the "Direct3D Version, Mantle, etc" versions have not changed in the last 6 months? Is that all you are complaining about? Once again all I see so far is your opinion how things should/do work and no facts. Sorry but that does not cut it for me.

In reply to your statements:

2. I... don't even know how to broach this one with you. There's more expected from a driver than stability, especially GPU drivers. There's a reason why they used to be monthly. Keyword here is performance. Any time a new game is released and AMD or NVIDIA has had time to analyze it, there are undoubtedly changes that can be made to the driver to improve performance in a given game.

-   AMD drivers are constantly releasing proformance tweaks to games and these are generally silent and thus not published within the driver releases themselves. From what I understand these tweaks are CAP/CrossFire Profile updates.

-   In your first post (and ones following) you basically said that you don't count the CAP's and CrossFire Profile updates as "updates", so I am not sure why you are now going on about them.

3. 'Driver Packaging Version' - this should be self-explanatory... It's merely related to the archiving of all the driver files, that we later extract during installation, into that EXE 'package' we all download from AMD.com.

-   Like you said the "Driver Packaging Version" is the archive for ALL the driver files. As such, would not any changes to AMD drivers be in this? I don't understand the logic that you seem to have that the "Driver Packaging Version" is not important?

4. 14.3? Did you mean 15.3? To simplify things for you, the Direct3D Version is the most important component, generally speaking since most games are Direct3D/DirectX based, and that has been 9.14.10.01080 since Omega.

-   Thank you for pointing out that I put that number wrong, I have corrected it. And the statement, "Direct3D Version is the most important component" would be true if the interaction with Direct3D is not working in any way. If you have any information about the Direct3D interaction not working please post it.

5. Not denying that. All releases after Omega, however, have been mere CAP updates and are incapable of delivering significant performance gains. For real gains, the files related to Direct3D Version, Mantle, etc. (the crucial ones are typically SYS or DLL files - have a look at Device Manager in Windows and Driver Details for a list) must be changed/updated and thus the version number would be different...

-   Again, the 15.3 was NOT just a CAP/CrossFire update driver. So your statement that "All releases after Omega, however, have been mere CAP updates and are incapable of delivering significant performance gains" is invalid. Also why do you keep on thinking that only the "Direct3D Version, Mantle, etc" need to be updated to get any performance gains?

I personally have been avidly following Guru3D and OverClockers forums for years, and have seen a lot of personal opinions and statements being made, as well as some factual information being shared. I generally try and stick with believing only the "factual information" in peoples posts and if you have any links/posts which have this and backup your statements, I would be more then happy to change my opinion.

Just saying that the "Driver Packaging Version does not do anything and you have to update the Direct3D Version, Mantle, etc.... in order to gain any performance increase", is your opinion unless you are directly involved in this process.

Again, if you have any facts/proof of what you are saying please give it cause I would be more then happy to see it.

tekkiaussie

How do you know that the "Driver Packaging Version" is not the main part of the driver? Unless you are directly involved in the driver build how can you make the statement like "That's absurd"? What information/facts do you have which make you believe that it is not?

I stated that the API version information in the CCC is the version of the interaction control between AMD and those API's. And again, if you have information showing that this in broken/faulty in any way please explain it and I am sure AMD will work on fixing it right away.

(Also, I never said anything about "Windows" in anyway and know that Windows has nothing to do with these API's. Saying that I did, is in reality, what is the true term of "miss-information")

I said that if those API's (and their interaction) is working you don't need to change it. I don't know about you but if I have something working (TV, fridge, couch, etc) I don't start pulling it apart and adding new parts to it.

Also, saying to me, "the factual way you state everything is a great way to spread misinformation"..... Really? So if I was not using facts I would be informing people better? 404 Error.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                                  stevesous

I think they should update. I used to have GTX 780 SLI and Titanfall used to work with max settings with amazing frame rates (above 60). I switched to R9 295x2 the most powerful card up to this date. Titanfall gives me 30-40 FPS at max settings, i have to turn off ambiant occlusion  for it to give me frame rates above 60. Why?

Why can’t AMD fix this problem the hardware is the best why?

sirmatthewofhodge

This whole thread seems really silly... Many of my points were stated above, however I feel the need to chime in to protect the masses. The misinformation in this thread seems to be some attempt of NVidia fan boys to hijack an AMD forum. I may be wrong, just my perception... Call me paranoid.

Technical jargon referring to drivers, APIs etc is totally unnecessary. From my perspective (see my bio for hardware specs) the omega drivers worked great for me until "GTA5" came out. had some micro stuttering or some weird frame drops in the 40's with my single 290x. Beta 15.4 fixed that, and now the game runs flawlessly. 15.4 came out right when it was released. AMD has released 3 drivers since 14.12 omega. Not sure why the OP said there were no updates since omega... Perhaps, as stated above, updates to the d3d and mantle components were likely unnecessary. Mantle is now part of Vulkan... Why even bring up mantle anyways? The two games you refer to, don't even support it. If the OP is even telling the truth, I gather he/she want's better performance with "Project Cars" and "The Witcher 3". He/She should just do a clean install of 15.5, which improves performance in those games. The issue with "The Witcher 3" is the Nvidia gameworks hairworks scandal. #hairgate lol... there's a fix for this by adjusting the tessellation options in ccc. I'm sure upgrading to 15.5, and adjusting the tessellation would improve performance. Nvidia has admitted to being closed lipped to what they refer to as their intellectual property, and not giving amd the ability to optimize. Perhaps that's their right, but I've read that even last gen Nvidia cards like the 780ti was having issues with hairworks too. It's a beast of a card, and should have the necessary "horsepower". Some games just need updates. "Dying light ran poorly on amd hardware when it first came out. Now it runs great with max settings (other than the distance slider), including gameworks options with vsync.

Regarding Titanfall, I never drop below 60 frames, max settings with vsync... I don't know why anyone would need a crossfire profile for this game anyways. It runs just fine on one card. IMO, it's not a resource demanding game by any means. Are you using 3 displays, or running it in 4k?

AMD is likely focusing on Windows 10, like they should be. It will be coming out in less than a month. Like it's been said before, instead of complaining about no updates to the d3d driver, let the folks here know what specific issue you are having. I'm sure they'd be willing to help.

as118

I think they're busy with the Radeon 300 series and Fury launch, and Windows 10 coming out, so they probably got backlogged and could only manage betas.  On the flip side, that means they were honest enough with us to not release untested (or undertested really) drivers to us.  I feel that Nvidia releases "official" drivers faster, but at the same time, don't test as thoroughly so have buggier "final" drivers, whereas AMD won't take off the beta tag unless they're absolutely sure it's ready.

That said, we'll probably see non-beta drivers by the end of this month, in time for the Radeon 300 series launch.  The delay is probably because they want to release all the new, non-beta stuff for the 200's and 300's all at once, after they make sure it's stable.  After that, they'll probably start working on Windows 10 drivers for August after Win 10 launches.

gabrielh

I am an infrequent visitor to the forums but I have been hanging around of late due to being a fan of TW series and checking out the various issues and controversies surrounding the old Nvidia vs AMD battle the game has stoked the fire of.

Having read through this thread, and seeing the various techy responses and either misinterpretations or flat out misinformation being peddled, I felt the need to add my two pennies worth.

1) If AMD stopped releasing 'Beta' drivers and called them (and released them) as 'Final' versions, a lot of their PR problems would vanish overnight.

2) As to the some of the techy talk. I think some plain speaking would help with understanding:

a) Direrct 3D/Direct X and the like are API's. These are the materials and tools that are used to build applications. Think of them as the bricks and wooden timbers of a house.

b) The Driver Package is the application. These are how the materials and tools are used, the ideal being as efficiently as possible. Think of them as the house builder.

Now go look at the history of DirectX and realise that the materials and tools are not updated often. The reason being is they are fully capable of doing the job of building a house that lasts for an age. In many ways the code is ahead of the hardware and it is rarely fully utilized, mainly because there are usually several ways to do things. That is what API's are for, they have to be able to accommodate a host of different specifications.

In contrast, the driver package is updated on a regular basis (see point 1 above) because different houses need building in different ways, even though they use the same materials and tools, and sometimes share the same techniques. When a new house design comes along, you don't need different bricks or timber, you just need a builder that can build it as fast as possible, making sure it is stable and lasts. And that all the Driver Package is doing, making sure the latest house designs utilize the materials and tools as best as they can.

3) With all that said, and taking account of Beta releases - AMD seem to release a lot less driver package updates than Nvidia - Now, is that because AMD are lazy, or are they better at getting it right first (or second time)? What I will say is that Nvidia have released several driver updates, specifically targeting TW3, since their 'Game Ready' driver release, meaning despite partnering and supporting the game developer, they still can't get their drivers bug free and optimized - that is not a good thing. While Nvidia might seem good at providing updates, they wouldn't need to if they got it right first (or second) time.

PS. Please fix flickering for TW3 in crossfire.

5 of 6 people found this helpful
                                            etadex

Flickering textures in War Thunder and SC2 for a year now.No improvements.Reported many times.

Flickering textures in Witcher 3.15.5 out for a month with no further updates for now.No improvements.Contacted support via e-mail.Asked if they are doing something about War Thunder and Witcher 3.Got useless guide on how to improve fps instead.Asked again, made clear I need just a YES or NO.Ignored to that day.

Based on that info and their actions I can safely guarantee they don't even read Issue Reporing Form reports, and don't do anything, because they would atleast made known something is being done instead of going completely silent without even standart "We're sorry, but we cannot disclose that information" atleast.

About the NVIDIA updates - they are atleast trying to update and fix something.AMD is not, it seems.

War Thunder devs responded to me yesterday, and said that CF doesnt return current videocard number, but SLI does. so they can't fix the issue on their side in their render engine.Dat dead-born technology, I regret the day I made a decision to buy AMD.

ray_m

I can confidently tell you that we do look at all submissions in the Issue Reporting Form, since I do that myself.

It's all a matter of priority. If I see dozens of people reporting issues with <Game X> and maybe one or two with <Game Y>, then unfortunately <Game X> is going to be looked at since it's affecting a much larger mass of people.

That being said, not all issues can be fixed with a snap of the fingers. If its something in the driver, we have more control over it, but if it involves the app, then it's much more complicated since we have to work together with the developer to get it fixed.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                    d00m_g4m3r

Is true that you make a new driver too boost R9 390/290 GPU`s in games ?

terrace

Do you really look at those forms? I sent in an easy reproducable issue (that is devastating for the end user) and it seems like it just auto went into the Recycle Bin as there was no follow up via the email that I left for you guys to contact me on and no fixed driver.

I'd be happy to explain the driver problem one last time to a person on the driver team rather than leaving another form or contacting support but that's about it.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                          ray_m

I most certainly do. Assuming you used the same email address in your issue submission, I cannot find a single submission from you all the way from the Catalyst Omega driver.

A couple of other points:

Users should NOT expect to be contacted back when they fill out an Issue Reporting Forum submission. In fact, the form clearly states this :

Secondly, and as I explained earlier, issues to be investigated are prioritized according to the severity of the issue and the number of users it affects.

terrace

I used my email thats the same at the beggining but "@gmail.com" I was aware of the bit that says might not get a reply but as it wasn't a enquiry from (for example) someone clogging up the system who needed help installing a driver and what double click means and was instead from someone with a legitimate issue I was expecting perhaps some level of interaction or follow up to check details that needed more explaination or to get more information.

I guess it wouldn't affect the most users, but it does effect some of the highest paying customers if that means anything. Although saying that there was really alot of us in the old thread about the problem on the old forum but I don't think we ever had anyone from AMD post anything in the thread, just lots of us users going around in circles. I was able to prove that there wasn't anything wrong with our hardware including cabling or with any particular programs as it was pretty broad in what would have the problem.

ray_m

We do not, as a policy, contact users who submit a feedback form, but only do so if we see an issue with sufficient volume, and need more information from affected user(s)

Please direct message me your email address and the driver version you reported issues against, I'd like to take a look at what you reported.

Thanks

amdmatt

In addition to what Ray says, the D3D version can be updated without the version number changing. There have been plenty of updates, performance improvements and various optimisations from Catalyst 14.12 to Catalyst 15.5 Beta.

terrace

I'll get that direct message to you right away.

I am feeling a large amount of drive and hope to get this issue fixed once and for all with having not only one but two people actually from AMD replying. I was considering shopping elsewhere which would be a shame seing as i've owned the last AGP ATI card the sapphire 3850 and then for PCI-X the 4670, two 6970's, two 7970's and now these two r9 290's. I don't really want to shop elsewhere but this has been driving me mad.

The last green card I owned on the other hand was a built in TNT2 on a motherboard which I ditched for a Vodoo 3 3000 so I could run Carmageddon 2 in 3Dfx Mode, also looked pretty awesome in Tribes 1

upandway

I agree. If any of AMD people read this, driver is the major reason why a lot of people chose NVIDIA over AMD GPUs. It's also why NVIDIA discrete GPUs are dominating the market today. It's not like their driver is always problem free, but people will choose the one with less headache. People can forgo some hardware inefficiency if the price is right, however a lot of people can't tolerate driver problems. One of best marketing AMD can do for their upcoming 300 series is a new WHQL driver being released at same time, and promise doubling down on driver updates that fix various common desktop and game problems and providing multi-GPU profiles, which particularly rely on timely updates as soon as important/popular/graphical demanding titles release, because NVIDIA really does that well. Seriously AMD, your X2 card and APU sales rely on it. When talk about multi-GPU support, rarely people recommend AMD over NVIDIA.

bobalazs

Don't worry, there is a wonder driver developed for the new 300s that will be packaged (15.15) into a new catalyst driver available for all older cards.

hardcoregames™

The actual driver is not that complicated. Disregard the misrepresentations from both red and green who are marketing games.

What is complicated is the layers of API on top of the core driver. DirectX attempts to keep everyone focused on Windows.

Both red and green indulge in proprietary behaviours which are anticompetitive. That does not work long term but they do it anyway.

Games that use these various proprietary solutions may not run well on the rival card(s).

This is the reason I bulldozed the problem with the HD 6970 which is so extreme it does not matter how ugly the overhead is.

prospector

Beta drivers... they aren't something that I'd like to install on my computer.  I've installed Beta drivers before and they completely screwed up my entire system. 

The reason I want final version drivers is because AMD mentions they are more likely stable and reliable than beta drivers....

Also, I have A LOT of problems with games, reported many, many times and well, I don't know if anything has been done or not... I'm hoping they will be in a "final version" release... please let this month be the month they release a final version of the drivers... I feel like I really need them.

chocolatenipz

Excuse me I just built my PC on Friday and I had a problem yesterday, Sunday. Computer crashed due to an the driver and then I got the blue screen. I thought I hadn't chosen the latest driver but by looking at this forum I'm wrong. Do you know where I can post my problem? Thank You. P.S It happened while playing Minecraft but the on the first day everything was fine.

backFireX64

That is anyone's choice and personal preference, whether to install beta, whql or both on their system.

I have to completely disagree though.

I have always kept myself up to date on most games and software by using the latest BETA driver, and in many cases there was little or no difference from the so called "final" Microsoft-signed driver, performance-wise and stability-wise.

Specifically, since the Omega drivers, all beta drivers were as stable and reliable as the 14.12 one, on a host of old and modern games, at least for my system environment (i7 975, 2x HD5970, 12 GB 1600 Mhz RAM). And including single gpu usage and crossfirex/ quadfire as well.

The general rule is this: if you need the additional game profiles, improvements and optimizations, then you have no choice than to always use the latest driver available, whether that is beta or whql. Just to stay up to date. Same as nvidia users. If you actually find out that a specific older driver gives you better performance and reliability on specific games and software, then, by all means, stick with that, until there is actual need to install a newer driver version.

If the driver supports your OS and GPU, then i do not see how it would "completely screw up your system". I have never seen that happening (as a general meaning of the phrase term) in any user that i know of, including myself, so unless you want to be more specific about that, please refrain from exaggerated claims, cause there may well be other issues at hand. And to avoid spreading false impressions, of course...

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                                                                        prospector

Anyways I'm going to download the 15.6 beta drivers and if I find it's ruined my system again, I'm going to be sticking to nVidia products... I used to have all AMD products. 

amdmatt

Keep it clean please guys.

By unanimous agreement of the moderators we are locking this thread. No further replies will be allowed.

1: The person who started it got an answer and marked it correct. So we're done.

2: It has devolved into name calling, which we do not allow

3: You are absolutely free to begin new topics on matters of general interest. This one is done.

4: I would take this opportunity to remind everyone, be civil. Name calling is not allowed. I have rejected a couple of the final posts in this thread that have no purpose other than to inflame. I may delete some going backwards, but probably not. It's worthwhile to show how silly we can get sometimes.

Thank you for your understanding. Case closed. If you feel aggrieved, you can say so in public in another thread, or PM me.