AnsweredAssumed Answered

Nightmare of a first build, PC stuck freezing/restarting at random times.

Question asked by pushpushki on May 29, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 by sabah70

Greetings to anyone that comes by my thread.

Thank you very much for dropping by. Unfortunately, this thread will be one of those hefty ones due to how much I will say in it. I am a pretty desperate being at this point. I really have no idea what to do. I have contacted Tech Support, and ended up being brushed off and then completely ignored as I tried to get more information from them. (Is it actually normal for "AMD Global Customer Care" to be so dismissive?) Thus, thank you again for reading this far, and I will understand if you will "TL;DR" in the end.

As you might have noticed the title, I seem to have quite a problem. Furthermore, it is not an easily solvable issue, because it has a lot of history. I also would like to acknowledge the fact how this is my first and only "post" so far, due to me drawing my very last straws and not knowing where to turn at this point.

I will provide a full run down of my troubleshooting and the things I have done as an big quoted passage due to having typed it all up before and having posted is elsewhere as to acquire feedback. Speaking of, the people all have pointed my issues to be CPU caused.

This was supposed to be a joyful first build to bring me happiness... but it just turned out to be a nightmare and out of my ability to fix, especially with my extremely limited (non-existential) funds. It has given me many anxiety attacks and break downs. All I want(ed) is for this computer to work. I am not saying that building a computer isn't fun... just what came afterwards with this specific first build that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Yet, I still long for the sweet nectar upon finding the right ending.

Without further ado, here is the long passage of my previous quest to find answers:

Well, here I am at my last straw. For the past 9 months I've been trying to make this huge disaster of a first build work: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/jWGVXL

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/jWGVXL

Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/jWGVXL/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  (Purchased For $0.00)

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $0.00)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00)

Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.7 CFM 120mm  Fans  (Purchased For $0.00)

Total: $0.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 00:08 EDT-0400

As months progressed, I just started developing this hate towards this very build... all I wanted was for it to work and be able to peacefully do my things on it. And yeah, as I am writing this, I am filled with anger. By all means, I do not mean to be angry towards anyone that happens to read this, or at PCs in general... just at this broken *beep* of a build that I cannot get to work because I just do not know what to do, even though I tried many things.

The issue:

Random, erratic at first, freezes and restarts (rarer). Happening while doing anything, from booting up, to installing OS, to (and here's the kicker) "inducing" the freezes when (specifically) watching an HD video on YouTube using Chrome. This seems to always provoke the issue.

Additional info edit: The freezes also tend to happen during any moment of the boot up. Sometimes the PC doesn't even POST. Sometimes it freezes in the BIOS. Sometimes it smoothly sails all the way to the desktop.

The background (some essentials, but might be skippable):

It all started with a budget. That was fine. The build started with everything listed excluding the OS and the Optical Drive (bought later), as well as the motherboard being a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3.

Goody! All parts arrived, I assembled it as fast as I could with all the care in the world as to not mistakenly mess anything up. This is where the nightmares began... freezes and restarts during OS install... I thought this would clear up in time. That the PC just needed a chance to fully install the OS and update everything. And so it did, but the curse had just begun.

Being the PC-builder newbie I was, I just got the motherboard replaced 2 times. On the third board, I asked for help on another subreddit which shall not be named here as I still am unfamiliar with all the linking and name-dropping rules of this very fine group (or for the simple reason I still do not know how to reddit properly... still figuring out the things... and yes, even though I joined a long time ago, I never got into the habit of "doing" things here... just superficially browsed things and left off to other things). Unfortunately, the couple of people that dropped by to help, ended up being stomped, and then I was back to being alone on square one.

I got desperate and in a mindless set of decisions, returned the third motherboard and got the Sabertooth as listed. Still nope, nothing got fixed... except for something magical that happened... for 85 straight days, the system was stable (was using a Windows 8.1 90 Day Enterprise Evaluation). As the 'trial" ended, I decided to get the optical drive (for the joke of it, even though I know it is not necessary... still wanted it for old games I had, oh well) and go through a fresh install... and... the... curse... was reawakened. Back to very random freezes and restarts.

After some time, I got discouraged. Decided to let it be for a while, recover from the mental barrage that this issue has setup for me.

I came back to fixing it after a few weeks. Somehow thought that maybe it would be power related, so I was able to wiggle out some money for a "better" (I mean, by my newbie standards) PSU. I reasoned that since the warranty on it is for a long period of time, and that it has many useful features, it would just end up being an investment for the day I choose to build another PC, even if it would be in 2-3 years. Thus came to my home an EVGA Supernova NEX650G. Plugged it all up... and the curse continued to haunt my life. Traumatized and even more defeated, I retreated for another week or so, also had other things going on such as work and life planning and helping out parents and so on... the normal bouts of life, really.

So here I am, back at trying to fix it... troubleshooting in any possible way. Redoing some tests thinking I did them wrong or I might have missed something in someway.

The attempts at fixing (with edited additions):

- Swapping Power Supply Units.

- Swapping Video Cards.

- Running MemTest86 (ran the test a few times, once for 36 hours and nothing to report, another few times with 24+ hours and nothing to report).

- Running Prime95 (again, ran the test a few times over the months, 24+ hours each time, I have pictures of the last results if needs be, both small FTT (first picture) and large FTT (second picture) along with temperature readouts on the side, all below 40°C).

F1Nwujk.png

PydESyP.png

- Inserting RAM sticks into different DIMM slots, individually and the two different dual-channel configurations.

- Fresh OS installs of Windows 7 and 8.1 (both the OEM listed in the part list and the Enterprise Evaluation that I mentioned in the background section)

- Manual updates of all drivers.

- Motherboard BIOS reflashes, to different versions.

- Having the HDD unplugged, and SSD running the OS.

- Having the SSD unplugged, and HDD running the OS.

- AHCI being enabled.

The Conclusion:

Well, if anyone got this far, thank you. Sincerely, thank you. I appreciate anyone that has even taken the time to take a look at this monstrosity of a post. I do kind of feel better now that I have written most of it down. Lots of blanks to left to fill, but I would be happy to fill them in for anyone that asks.

All I am hoping with this post is to get at least a tiny bit of feedback, and any kind of it. Maybe even having this shared with someone that might be able to contribute to my situation.

As it stands, I am pretty much left without any money for any parts switches. I did wish I had another CPU just to swap it out and just to see what would happen.

At this point, I am desperate and left without knowing where to turn and how to do it. Hence I resorted to this place, a group of people that deal with these problems quite often and that have a passion for their constructions.

On that note, I will just let this post finally loose and see if it flies. Cheers.

Edit 1: Also, forgive me if this Subreddit is not the right place for this. Please let me know of any violations and such. I really do want to cooperate and not be a pain in the rear for anyone. Just wanted to share this with people that know their stuff.

Edit 2: I added the screenshots of the results in "The attempts at fixing" section, after both small FTT and large FTT runs.

If you have read this far, through this enormous wall of text, I thank you. I am really grateful for any input on this matter... on my overall situation and what could be done.

If I have, unintentionally, defied any rules or guidelines, please let me know and I will do my best to rectify the situation. I always want to cooperate and I never mean to be an *input offensive word here*... but sometimes it feels like I am just that... an *input same offensive word here*. I am sorry for any and all inconvenience that I have caused.

I wish you all of you wonderful day.

Sincerely,
Pushpushki

Outcomes