3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 10:33 AM by tekkiaussie

Video card/Dual monitors on AMD Athlon 5150

kuroisuna

I have a GeForce 9800GT video card, I use it for over a year with my old Intel powered machine. But my processor died so I bought a new processor (APU AMD Athlon 5150) and a new MB (ASRock AM1B-M).

Everything good, but my video card is not recognized, the fan is spinning and all.

I tried to install its drivers but my OSs (Windows and Ubuntu) didn't recognized it. I checked that the card was correctly installed. So I have some questions:

1. The integrated Radeon in the CPU makes impossible to have a video card?
      2. Is there a way to disable the integrated GPU? I tried in the BIOS with no luck.
      3. Is there a way to use dual monitors with another hardware?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Video card/Dual monitors on AMD Athlon 5150
          sgtbilko

1. No, you can still use a Discrete GPU instead of the iGPU if you want more performance but it will run at PCIe 2.0 x4.

2.  I am unfamiliar with ASRock boards but you should have an option in the BIOS that says 'Advanced Chipset Configuration" and you should be able to select the Primary Display Adaptor to either Onboard or PCIe, if you cannot then you may need the newest BIOS for the motherboard (Link)

3. You can use Dual Monitors with the Athlon or a Discrete GPU from my understanding.

Hope that helps

• Re: Video card/Dual monitors on AMD Athlon 5150
            tekkiaussie

Just to note, you are not currently able to run the drivers for the APU's integrated GPU at the same time as the ones for your Nvidia card.

---------

If you would like to use the APU's integrated GPU you would need to connect the monitors to the Motherboard and install the AMD drivers. You should be able to find the AMD drivers for your system at: www.amd.com/drivers

---------

If you would like to use only the Nvidia card on this system you would first need to make some changes to the BIOS. Enter the BIOS of the Motherboard and click on "Advanced > Chipset Configuration". Once there change "Primary Graphics Adapter" to PCI Express.

Once you have done that click "Exit > Save Changes and Exit", at this time the computer will restart and will begin streaming the video to the Nvidia graphics card. As such you will need to make sure that the monitors are connected to that card.

Once the system starts you should then be able to install the Nvidia drivers. If you have installed any AMD display drivers on the system you might need to uninstall these prior to installing the Nvidia ones.