6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 8:41 AM by black_zion

Legacy drivers in the future

restinpieces

Hello. I'll try to be frank and brief.

A few years ago I purchased a 4870. Amazing piece of technology, could even run 2013 games near their highest settings, which is pretty admirable for such and old card.

Then AMD decided to stop optimizing its drivers. Optimizing the drivers of a graphics card can make a world of difference and the results were painfully obvious in the upcoming games at that time. More crashes, glitches and bad performance in games which were barely more demanding than their predecessors.

Today, I want to buy a new graphics card. A mid-highish range amd card like r9 280x would do the job for me. However r9 280x is a few years old already, compared to certain nvidia rivals which where recently released.

So, I am afraid history will repeat itself and since AMD hasn't changed this "legacy" policy, it will dump this model in 1-2 years as well. Why should I prefer it over the competition?

Thank you for reading, would appreciate an honest, unbiased answer.

• Re: Legacy drivers in the future
          kingfish

The R9 280x is a rebranded HD 7970GHZ. A truly new card is the R9 290 and 290x. The upcoming R9 300 series also has it's share of rebrands with the R9 380x and 390x being a true 'new' card. If it were me, I would get a R9 290 or 290x. They will be around for a while. I have a R9 290 and am very pleased with the performance. Like you, I loved my 4870, but it died so I went to a HD 6970 which was awesome compared to the 4870. Then I stumbled on a deal for the R9 290 and experience performance upgrades in every category vs my old 6970. Check the prices on Newegg. Also, remember the increased power supply requirements.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Legacy drivers in the future
            black_zion

Then you will have to wait until 2016 for a full range of new cards, AMD is not investing much into the first generation of HBM cards, with only the 380X being new. With HBM2 removing the 4GB VRAM limit as well as drastically increasing performance compared to HBM1, and the jump down to 16nm FinFET for cost and energy efficiency. But that being said, AMD will dump the HD 5000 and HD 6000 series before any other because they should not be capable of DirectX 12 support (differences in VLIW5, VLIW4, and GCN), while all GCN cards should be supported until long after they have become "obsolete".

1 of 1 people found this helpful