26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 7:57 AM by Cornugon

Witcher 3 crossfire 60% gpu utilisation (98% with AFR but horrible flicker)

rust

Hi, whats up with amd drivers in Witcher 3 on two AMD cards with Crossfire? i have settings on uber mostly just without aliasing. Fullscreen mode of course.

With:

crossfireX on DEFAULT MODE  there are only 60% gpu utilisation with ocasional black terrain/shadows flicker and horrible hair wobbling with nvidia hair ON and like 25 fps (crossfire on?!)

crossfireX in AFR mode there are 98% gpu utilisation  but with horrible plain white portals flicker (propably from some smoke over terrain or mist ) some ground  textures stretched and 40-60 fps

crossfireX OFF MODE  there are NO problems with hair wobbling and NO black terrain/shadows flicker and NO white portals flicker and NO completely no fps... it's like 20...

• Re: Witcher 3 crossfire 60% gpu utilisation (98% with AFR but horrible flicker)
          athlona

Come on AMD where are our The Witcher 3 drivers you promised for whats now last week! Come on The Green Team have just released a new driver on a Saturday! Just made the move from Green to Red only a month ago please don't make me regrit the move please!!! Need Crossfire Drivers now!!!

• Re: Witcher 3 crossfire 60% gpu utilisation (98% with AFR but horrible flicker)
            Cornugon

It's been said before by AMD that the 15.5 bèta's including (Crossfire) optimisations for The Witcher 3 and Project: Cars arrive the coming week. They never claimed we would get them the day when TW3 would be released (even though many of us expected them to).

And yes nVidia released them on day one, but weren't they also the ones who sponsored CDPR and 'allowed' them to use THEIR Gameworks libraries?

EDIT: Apparently my post caused some confusion, so let me correct this:

It has already been mentioned on day one by fellow forummembers that forcing Crossfire in this title causes visual anomalies, and that, while we wait for AMD to release drivers to address this, the best temporary workaround is to not use CrossFire as I assumed you figured out yourself, so I didn't feel the need to mention this. And yes, I did read your post rust...

As a ways to improve single card performance: For now just don't use hairworks, or manually decrease the Tesselation Factor in CCC to x8 or x16 to improve Hairworks' performance. Since World Tesselation isn't enabled in the game (yet?) you won't notice much visible difference between x8 Tesselation or the default full x64 one (Hairworks is tied to the Tesselation quality, and because in the past it was true for the HD 5xxx series, AMD still gets blamed by having poor Tesselators, even though there are more factors at work here against).

jawadsmokii

i m still not using the crossfire , playing the game with hair is override to 8 x and hbo got 40 avg and 55 most areas , everything at ultra with my 290 , anyhow try this , use predefined profile for the game ryse . give me your feedback .

jawadsmokii

the only game that had issue with my 290 crossfired  is dying light i bought the game and didn't play it , it was unplayable with or without profile and utlization was 40 % max . and my max fps 25 ......

My spec is 8350 @ 4.2

Ausus formula-Z motherboard

16GB 1833

290 msi Gaming 4 gb Crossfired .

deesee76

If it makes anyone happier, i have 295x2 in quadfire.  In 4k, ultra everything under "graphics setting" is unplayable ~ 20fps.   Ultra everythingin 2k hovers around 35-50fps depending on options.   Running latest beta drivers which are optimised for GTA5.  I also turned off all settings under "post processing".  Very disappointing performance on amd cards.  Whereas dragon age inquisition and gta5 runs in 4k flawlessly (60fps+)

rust

I think its a game code problem. From patch 1.04 i see gpu utilisation goes up from 60% to ~75% in about 5 mins even standing still. Than it goes sometimes to 85%-90% when in fight. When i take a ride on a horse a few hundred meters it goes down to 56-60%. And and again the same thing over and over. You can stand in the same place still and have stable 56% or stable 75% and sometimes 80%. It pomps up gpu utilisation too slowly for some reason.

athlona

The Witcher 3:-

Email from CD Projekt Red Support this response is totally useless to me why are these company’s not working together as there are only two real GPU manufactures out there on PC??? This is the main reason the PC gaming industry is in such a mess. AMD really need to chance their drivers as we believe as and when! To drivers even if it a BETA not every month but just before a AAA release comes out or to fix issues as they arise . And for Nvidia drivers only make the effort for the latest GPUs on the market Kepler runs worse now to poorly written drivers or is it on propose? 

I have just made the move from The GREEN Team a month ago from a Nvidia Titan due mainly from me purchasing a 40” 4K Display and it couldn’t drive this Resolution. So the only other Team is Team RED to a 295x2 much faster card from my Titan for sure but Drivers are so poor indeed.

All we ask for are Drivers from both AMD & Nvidia that work for the latest AAA games on release date and Crossfire & SLI work without issues that is in a NUT shell! Not hard as we all pay a lot for our GPUs

Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Windows - [2015-05-26 11:28] (*********************)

Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Windows - [2015-05-26 11:28] (*********************)

PC Support (pc_support@cdprojektred.com)

Add to contacts

10:22

[Keep this message at the top of your inbox]

To: (*********************)

pc_support@cdprojektred.com

Parts of this message have been blocked for your safety.

Show content|I trust pc_support@cdprojektred.com. Always show content.

Hello there,

we're still waiting for drivers from AMD since they didn't provide them yet. In contrary, nvidia released their drivers on the day of the release.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, but the only solution for now is to play in HD and wait for the AMD drivers.

Kind regards,

Marcin Kulikowski

On 26 May 2015 at 11:28, en.cdprojektred.com <no_reply@en.cdprojektred.com> wrote:

Product: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Platform: Windows

OS version: Windows 8 (64-bit)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Amount of RAM: 16318MB

Graphic card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Screen resolution: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Driver update-date: 4/10/2015 19:58:14, 1358192 bytes

Boxed or digital: digital

Vendor: GOG.com

Game code: (*********************)

User email: (*********************)

Problem description:

Hi, I am experiencing AMD Crossfire Issues with my 295x2 GPU when Crossfire is enabled I am getting treble screen flashing which make for a unplayable gaming experience. If I disable Crossfire the Flashing does go away but my system is running a 4K display and the drop in FPS is way too great. I am running the latest patch 1.04 which has improved performance but still not enough to run outside of crossfire. If this is a AMD GPU Driver still why didn’t you quality check The Witcher 3 running on either the 14.4 Dec 2014 or the latest 15.4 drivers so we AMD users could play the game using Crossfire as that would have been useful. I know the game is a Nvidia game but still should run on AMD hardware as well. So please can you confirm why crossfire doesn’t work thanks? Been waiting for the game for a long time… Mr (*********************)

--

TECHNICAL SUPPORT

en.cdprojektred.com/support

CD PROJEKT S.A.

ul. Jagiellońska 74, 03-301 Warsaw, Poland

thewitcher.com | cyberpunk.net | cdprojektred.com

theonlydoor

yes. its horrible on AFR and irritating on default. Iether options breaks immersion and is therfore game breaking for me.

Need  beta 15.6 asap

dariusverdon

Hey guys,

I had this exact issue and I seem to have found a weird solution (or workaround?) that at least works for me. I have AFR enabled and all of the settings that AMD recommended, and I had the 15.5 beta driver installed--the flickering would still happen. I got extremely frustrated and reinstalled the 15.5 beta drivers just before playing the Witcher 3--with all of those settings still set up in Catalyst, and the flickering goes away. This has worked for me every time since; if I reboot my computer I reinstall 15.5 beta drivers, hop on the Witcher 3 and it works without issue.

I have absolutely no idea why this works, and why the flickering comes back after a reboot, but I figured I would post it somewhere on the forums and maybe it'll help someone out.

Specs:
                          Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

RAM: 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
                          Processor: AMD FX 9590 Eight Core Processor

Graphics Cards: Two AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (Crossfire)

tekkiaussie

While this is not specifically about CrossFire/SLI, here are a couple interesting reads about Witcher 3 on Nvidia/AMD cards and the over all performance on each. I find it very interesting that while the GTX 980 has slightly higher performance, in real time benchmarks it does not majorly "out perform" the R9 290X as would be expected by some people.

Also these pages show that all graphics cards have major FPS issues when using certain in game graphics features, and these issues are not limited to AMD cards.

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-initial-benchmarks/

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance - TechSpot

Also, if anyone can find any information which shows that SLI cards out perform CrossFire cards, I would be more then interested.

24bit

AMD is never going to address this no matter what they tell anyone here.  I play on crossfire 290x's and the flickering is annoying as all hell, but I deal with it because the game is so good.  AMD WILL NEVER fix this, their last update was a year ago.  What makes you think they would invest time into releasing a total fix for this when their last update was on December 9th of 2014.  They gave a Beta driver to help a bit, but didn't fix the flickering and crossfire issues.  CD red released six patches for the game since it has been out, these guys care about their product.  AMD doesn't.  They are releasing their 300 series soon, why would they care about 200 series problems right now?

I'm a huge AMD fan, I like my 290x's, but jeez AMD do something already.  You make yourselves look every day you fail to address this issue.  Right now everyone knows not to buy AMD 290x's to run in crossfire because it blinks non stop in the witcher 3.  So, everyone is going to buy the 980ti instead which doesn't have the issue.  Regardless if Nvidia did something to sabatoge amd gpu's for the game, we are roughly a month into this with no fix in sight. 

Cornugon

24bit schreef:

AMD is never going to address this no matter what they tell anyone here.  I play on crossfire 290x's and the flickering is annoying as all hell, but I deal with it because the game is so good.  AMD WILL NEVER fix this, their last update was a year ago.  What makes you think they would invest time into releasing a total fix for this when their last update was on December 9th of 2014.  They gave a Beta driver to help a bit, but didn't fix the flickering and crossfire issues. 

This again... sigh...

First of all: december 2014 was not a year ago, but seven months (there's a bit of a difference here).

Secondly: despite the name those beta drivers ARE the official ones by AMD. The only difference between these and 'official' WHQL drivers is that the latter has been tested by som e small Microsoft team which costs two weeks extra or something. And yes the 'competition' releases drivers more often, but there are plenty of complaints these so-called 'game-ready' drivers causing issues for several users, breaking stuff in this or that game, or crippling Kepler performance. WHQL and all...

Just have a bit of patience: The Witcher 2's Crossfire also didn't work right after release, and I had to wait a few weeks when it was finally fixed. Now it runs excellent.

24bit

Oh jeez! 7 months, not 12.  Whoa, that's a serious difference.  That makes it fine now I guess, right?  7 months is okay, but 12? Thats just too far man.  Too far.  Excuse me for needing to be accurate with the date, since you couldn't detect the core basis to my statement even though I gave you the accurate date for the last driver update. 

Amd isn't ever going to fix this issue for the reasons I mentioned.  The 300 series is on the way, the 390 is the 290 with 8gb so it will have the exact same issues and driver basic structure.  7 months later, this game called the Witcher 3 comes out and AMD knows it has these problems, they don't address them.  Their primary concern was a boost in fps, not the epilepsy inducing flashing of textures while running 290x's in crossfire.  We then get an update that fixed performance issues and one that ignored the flashing.  CDred stated its AMD who isn't playing ball with them, not the other way around.  The proof here that this is true is the length at which this fix has taken so far, it is blatantly obvious you may not have Witcher 3 for the pc or have not kept up with them in the slightest.  They are all over social media addressing concerns and that they are worried and don't want AMD owners to have a bad experience with their game.  AMD has done none of that.

But hey guys don't worry just be patient, because 7 months without a fix is just fine right?  Be patient, because everything AMD is doing right now makes it really seem like they care about fixing it right?  CDred puts out 6 patches in the span of a few weeks since the games release, responds to everyone who emails them and addresses the concerns, shares the concerns and has said AMD isn't responding.  You know how you fix this?  CALL CDred.  You have phones, you have email, cdred has a facebook and twitter account.  AMD's execs haven't used any of these methods to contact them it seems.  Wanna know how you get their attention AMD?

Make a post on reddit asking CDred to contact you.  CDred is all over Reddit, you'll catch their attention if you aren't able to get them on the phone for some insane reason.  Lets be real here, as much of an amd fanboy as I am this garbage needs to stop with blaming CDred and NVidia for the driver woes.  AMD takes the better end of a year to dish out a driver, they just don't have a crack team of devs on this and don't want to hire anyone to do a great job staying updated.  So, how any of you can expect a fix for this is beyond me.  The 300 series is on the way and AMD is going to invest 100% of their efforts into that.  Not fixing two year old gpu drivers for a brand new game.  15.5b was released, and that is all we are going to get until December of this year. 

7 months minimum is my ETA for a patch that fixes the flickering for the Witcher 3.  By that time, Nvidia would have released 2 new gpu generations, price on the 980TI would drop, 980's would drop and AMD will still be charging the same price for their 390, which is the same gpu as the 290 but with 8gb instead of 4.  You all know this to be true, their marketing trends and untimely dispatching of updates and drivers speaks for itself.

or, I could be wrong and the patch will come soon, who knows.  I can only hope.  AMD, don't make me sell your gpu's just because you refuse to get on this quickly.  I love my 290x's.  They are cheaper together in crossfire than the new 980TI that doesn't perform as well as them.  So, for the love of god invest some manhours into this please for your fans and support base.

tekkiaussie

I don't really understand. From what I know of math, there is a large difference between 7 months and 12 Months (or 1 year). 7 Months is only around 60% of 12 Months. So yes, "that is a serious difference".

Next you are claiming that AMD could have been working on fixing CrossFire Issues with Witcher 3 for the last 7 months? So they should have started working on CrossFire Issues in December, 2014, 6 months before the game was release?

But even this math is not good enough. Next you slide in a statement that AMD drivers are "two year(s) old".

So between switching between, no new drivers for 12 Months (1 Year) , then saying that is the same as 7 Months, and next saying that the drivers are 2 years old, it seems you are a little mixed up. Please come back when you have some facts.

Really all I can do is laugh at the "miss-information" you post. Your thought process is truly amazing. You really are missing your talent. You should be a politician.

athlona

Yep AMD are very unlikely to get The Witcher 3 working with Crossfire any time soon... So AMD left me no choose to the make a move to ther GREEN TEAM and i`ll say my new Nvidia 980 Ti 4K Ultra settings with Hairworks 35-45 FPS and at them FPS runs smooth as butter... 300 card you`ll only be left with the same issues if you go crossfire even with the new Gen!!! Nvidia work a lot closer with game developers for sure... Bye Bye RED TEAM Hello GREEN TEAM miss my 295x2