7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 3:08 PM by backFireX64
      • Microsoft Working on Windows 8.1 Update Fix
        backFireX64

No one would run windows 7 today without a service pack.

Why then, would somone run windows 8 without updating to the much more stable and better compatible windows 8.1 ?

Windows 8.2 is expected in september and windows 8.3 is already been announced to follow that a little later.

black_zion
          There is also a chunk of users who think they know better than Microsoft and refuse to upgrade to 8.1, the same kind of people who would not upgrade from Windows XP SP2 to SP3 (when it was released).
            black_zion
            If Microsoft wants to win over Windows 7 users, they're going to have to do more than make DirectX 12 a Windows 8 (or 9) exclusive, they're going to have to offer innovations which make Windows 9 more useful than Windows 7. If they don't, I plan on using Windows 7 until 2020.
                Earnhardt

Totaly agree bz,In order for me to upgrade there better be one hell of a WOW! factor,otherwise It's just not worth the upgrade.I personally dont see $160 worth of improvement.

It's funny how they want to "win" over W7 users,how about "winning" the XP users first,It's been what? 12 years and there's millions still on it.I loved XP when I had it,but why would anyone want to use todays Hardware on software that cant take advantage of it is beyond me.

Then Vista users, and then finally the W7 users.

black_zion
                Microsoft's biggest problem is the same problem that hit pretty much the rest of the computer industry long ago, it hit the point of diminishing returns. The jump from Windows 98 to Windows 2000/XP was massive in terms of stability, security, and features. The jump from Windows XP to Windows Vista was equally as massive, bringing more security, features, and overall experience, though it was severely hurt by Dell, HP, and the other OEMs for simply taking incapable (even for Windows XP) machines and loading Vista on them, and actually it is Vista people have to thank for making OEMs finally start selling capable machines with spacious hard drives, plenty of RAM, and a speedy processor. 

Unfortunately, this is where Microsoft has stalled out. Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and even the upcoming Windows 9 have and will not bring anything really new to the table. No new more efficient file system with increased speed, security, and reduced overhead (and overhang). No true integrated anti-malware solution comprising both an Enterprise class scanner (MSE/Windows Defender have fallen behind other free solutions), and a system to limit or prevent damage. No new kernel built from scratch to be more efficient, stable, and secure. 

Instead what we get is "fast boot" which combines Sleep with Hibernate modes. Integrated cloud features which, at this time, are far from reliable and have questionable security. Another new user interface which reduces productivity for traditional mouse and keyboard desktops and laptops. In the meantime every 3rd party app from readers, media players, image viewers, and especially web browsers are packing in more innovation every day. 

But like I said, it's the same problem which has hit across the rest of the industry, both in terms of software and hardware, and something is going to have to happen soon or else computers will start regressing until they are no more than low spec tablets where everything runs on centralized servers located in whatever country is the cheapest to run them accessed by an internet which has such a ridiculously low data cap it brings back memories of the pay-per-MB days of the early 90s.
                    backFireX64

Great arguments right there.

But, like any other product selled in the world, it does not necessarily have to offer you real innovations.

It just needs to pursuade you that it does.

And i mean the casual user.

The average user.

The one that every market targets.

I have a bad feeling that the upcoming years for microsoft will be more like the mac os life cycle.

We'll see .......

I would really like to see a "personalised" OS like the one seen in the "not so fictive" movie "HER".

And with the same voice ......

Now that would be groundbreaking !

Has anyone seen that movie yet ?