12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 6:21 AM by t77chevy

HDMI 2.0 cards

hardcoregames™

so are any vendors providing any cards that support HDMI 2.0 yet

I realize gaming at 3840xx2160 is a tad taxing but video looks ok

• HDMI 2.0 cards
          Thanny

None of the current crop of graphics cards use HDMI 2.0, but I have no idea about the upcoming models (whatever and whenever they might be).

• Re: HDMI 2.0 cards
            mrbuz

4K UHD TVs have HDMI 2.0 for 3840x2160 60Hz. When will AMD catch up with TV producers and release a card with UHD output via HDMI 2.0? All current video cards cannot do better than 2160p 30Hz via the legacy HDMI 1.4... !

hardcoregames™

It's looking like it may not be until 2016 that HDMI 2.0 becomes more available for PC users.

DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 is now available but that adapter is very expensive

mrbuz

Dude - can you please provide a link or a name to search for in regards of the DP-HDMI 2.0 adapter as I can't find it on sale? There are a few that are marketed as such but they aren't. It has to be something like a box with active electronics involved (a chip). Everything below $50 on sale is crap that doesn't work.

t77chevy

i think when monitors actually start using this it might become an option as currently monitors want dp and as freesync is based off of dp i dont see the hdmi 2.0 being a worth while connections outside of tvs .4k for pc is an excellent upgrade but as far as tv not so much .little content is available for 4k tv .i believe a new dp version is coming some what soon to up the bandwidth and hopefully we will start seeing some ips 120 plus hz 4k monitors before to long 

mrbuz

yes, if you are sitting at a desk in front of a monitor when using a pc, like in an office. I've switched to viewing pc content on large TV's from a sofa about 10 years ago (as many others I know have done too) and I definitely find it the best way for computing. There is no advantage in looking closely at a monitor to viewing a large TV from a distance (same scale - less pressure). I have no computer desks. I don't use the legacy term "desktop" for that reason, it's HTPC or multimedia centers. It's the future, when walls will show pc data like they do in the movies.

With the above I was aiming to explain that almost all my content actually is 4K already, as it's the pc that creates it. But I am stuck at 30Hz due to the reason that computer graphics cards lack output for UHD TV's (I have a Philips 65-9109). I couldn't think that GPU's are so outdated until I got a UHD TV - I would never think this is possible therefore I haven't investigated this issue in advance. I don't regret the money spent on the UHD TV as even on 30Hz it is a charm comparing to 1080p - up to tears of joy approaching when I've connected the new TV. And am eagerly awaiting for a decent video card with full UHD support. AMD of course (I've had enough of the competition).

t77chevy

i personally have my 32 inch 4k right next to my recliner " im just that lazy ". im mainly a gamer so went monitor myself as i wanted that 60hz for gaming. i also have several friends who also use tv on their pc . there is an adapter made to go from dp to hdmi 2.0 . my main comment was simply that amd freesync is based and needs dp for it to work . but of cource would be a nice feature for people who like you use a new style tv with said input. hopefully more native 4k content comes out this year .

mrbuz

Yes, I got your point. There are several cool technologies for combining monitors and I'm sure you are enjoying UHD in full with your setup. But I wonder how could it have happened with UHD TV's that you cannot connect a latest graphics card to it at full resolution in year 2015? UHD isn't future tech, it's yesterday's hardware as they are around for years by now and 8K TV's were already released. This is strange, like creating limitations by purpose. We are not waiting for new discoveries here - the technology exists for years, there is a great demand, but it is unavailable - I don't understand really why this is happening.

Buy the way you mentioned an adapter DP to HDMI 2.0 - I can't find a working one on sale and would be very thankful for a link!

t77chevy

yes sir. the problem i see is if there is enough demand for it to be a worthwhile for a company to adapt it in their new gpus and do agree it would be a nice feature this . ill have to ask my friend which exact one he is using but in one of the groups on in a saw this one posted dpadapter.png

mrbuz

Look at the reviews, it's fake:

Снимок.JPG

t77chevy

Just like most adapter the pc can have issue seeing the screens resolution /hz .that's easily resolved using your preferred monitor oc software. In this case where the resolution is also incorrect I would recommend custom resolution utility as this allows rewriting both resolution and refresh rate of the screen being used. I'm sure there are others that will do this as well .