10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 3:58 PM by black_zion

The news on Windows "9"

kingfish

quote from article:

"Windows 8 has been limping through its existence for just about two years now, and despite the fact that its continual updates have improved it a fair bit, the numbers aren't encouraging.  Microsoft knows this, and the rumors surrounding Windows 9 show that  it's going to be a move back to more familiar territory. Here's what we  think might be coming."

Article

• The news on Windows
          black_zion
          We all know what's going to happen, Microsoft is going to make DirectX 12, probably the next version of IE and Office as well, Windows 9 exclusive to attempt to force people to update.
            • The news on Windows "9"
              kingfish

Windows 8/8.1 fills the same nitch Vista once filled. The mistakes and user dislikes of Vista were corrected in Windows 7... and became a big hit with consumers. Windows 8, as most people pointed out, had too large a learning curve for a enterprise environment, plus the average home user didn't like it. It looks like Microsoft is going to do what it should have done in the beginning...have one system for your phones and tablets, and a slightly different version for desktop PC's. This can't be a bad thing.

• The news on Windows
              black_zion
              Depends on Microsoft's pricing. If they do the same thing they did with 8 and have a few weeks of really cheap prices, then people will upgrade, but if they go $100 right out of the gate, people will just say SCREW IT and stick with 7 and 8.
                • The news on Windows "9"
                  Hardwood

Originally posted by: black_zion Depends on Microsoft's pricing. If they do the same thing they did with 8 and have a few weeks of really cheap prices, then people will upgrade, but if they go $100 right out of the gate, people will just say SCREW IT and stick with 7 and 8.</end quote></div> You got that right! I'm perfectly happy with my 8.1pro machines. No issues and they're all snappy. If 9 has a cheap introductory price, I might grab one or two.</p>

And if that post above is the new startmenu then..  Yeesh don't need that.

• The news on Windows
                  black_zion
                  Supposedly in Windows 9 "metro" apps will run in a window on the desktop when not on a tablet, so you'll be able to use both.
                  • The news on Windows
                    black_zion
                    Who knows why this feature was not polished and pushed out in Windows 8.1, probably the same reason the start menu and other features are being held until windows 9...
                    • The news on Windows
                      black_zion
                      And it'll still be lipstick on makeup on facelift on Vista.
                      • The news on Windows
                        black_zion
                        Know what concerns me most about Windows 9? The UI is the most touted change, not improvements in security (especially the barely adequate Windows Defender), or in efficiency, or in any real innovation. Perhaps the rumor of a free upgrade for existing Vista, 7, and 8.1 users to the equivalent version of 9 for free will be true simply because the only real changes will be cosmetic. IE12 will launch with 9, but most people don't care, same with multiple desktops and Cortana.
                        • The news on Windows
                          black_zion
                          You know what I really want? Another Windows 2000. Very lightweight, stable, and secure.