5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 4:11 PM by hardcoregames™

Sapphire HD 6970 with Arctic Accelero Extreme III

hardcoregames™

For a measly $51 I now have the old flagship GPU. My power supply can cope easy with 2 of them and at this price I can afford 2 of them.

This card also beats xbox one and ps4 badly so i do not thing this is such a bad card

guess its time to crack open photoshop

• Sapphire HD 6970
          kingfish

Yup....and I don't need a cooler.

• Sapphire HD 6970
              hardcoregames™

seems to be a lot of versions of the HD 6970, the one I bought has an aftermarket Arctic 3 fan cooler so it should be noise free

seems to be long, what maybe 11 inches for the top card?

• Sapphire HD 6970
                  kingfish

Yes, there was a 1gb version as well. It is a monster at 11 1/2 inches. I have no issue with heat, when gaming I use a profile with fans at 60%. I haven't had one issue with this card and can play any game.

comparisons

• Sapphire HD 6970
                      hardcoregames™

my chassis has room for 450mm long video cards which is over 17 inches so I have no worries about any gaming card

I noticed on the CFX chart that I can CFX with a HD 6950 as well as another HD 6970 so with the lower prices that is an easy option

Guess these cards are pointless for bitcoin so they are driven down to where I can afford it

• Sapphire HD 6970
                          hardcoregames™

Looking more closely at the included cooler, i realized that the cooler is 11.5" which will fit my chassis easily

The Arctic Accelero Extreme III sells for around $75 making it a low cost solution to screaming fans

This cooler has 3 fans and its claimed to support 300W thermal loads which is more than most power pigs want

cards like the HD 6990 and HD 7990 are hardcore power pigs and I was wondering if anyone had a better cooler than the stock one?

thermal sensors, does AMD now provide more thermal sensors given their cards continue to be power pigs