3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 11:34 AM by black_zion

Mantle vs DX12

kingfish

Why did AMD announce Mantle?

What's really odd is that AMD must have known DX12 was coming down the line as it announced Mantle, but if DX12 delivers on Microsoft's claims, you have to wonder what the point of Mantle is.

OK, Mantle may be even more efficient at getting beneath those performance-sapping abstraction layers, but it's also surely a case of diminishing returns. And more to the point, Mantle is an AMD-only where DX12 includes AMD, Nvidia and Intel GPUs on the PC and yet more in the mobile space.

That's a huge advantage when it comes to the critical game developer-support angle. Unless Mantle has a spectacular technical advantage over DX12, it's very likely dead in water.

Like Mantle, DX12's true potential is untested so perhaps AMD knows something that we don't and that's why it pressed ahead with Mantle. Time will tell.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-directx-12-is-set-to-supercharge-pc-gaming-1235819

• Mantle vs DX12
          black_zion
          I think it is going to depend on Microsoft's decision on DirectX 12 support for Windows 7. AMD announced all GCN based cards, and nVidia announced their DirectX 11 capable cards, are capable of DirectX 12 support, so I have to believe the only thing that would stop DirectX 12 deployment on Windows 7 would be a "do not install if Windows Version = 6.1" flag. Also, if Mantle becomes a cross platform API, you could be looking at a viable option for Linux, which makes it better for Linux based handhelds and consoles. Heck, even Android based phones.
            • Mantle vs DX12
              Thanny

Mantle on Linux (and MacOS) would be a pretty big advantage over DX12. 

Not releasing DX12 for Windows 7 would be a huge loss, as there are huge numbers of people (myself included) who have no interest in the abominable Windows 8.x interface.

• Mantle vs DX12
              black_zion
              They are both separate API's, so they can't run together. However there is nothing which says Mantle components will not make their way into DirectX 12.