32 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2018 2:14 AM by baja_bandit

FX9590 Max Safe Temp?

admin

Hey all,

I just finished a new build with my FX-9590 + ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo and the chip seems to run RIDICULOUSLY hot..Under about 40% load the temps spike up to 60c... Running Prime95 spikes it above 65 and the ASUS Warning pops up. Idle sits at 43c

I have already tried down-volting to 1.75, didn't change anything.
      I am cooling it with a Dual-Radiator H100i GTX CLC, and MX-4 Thermal paste (grain of rice sized amount in the middle of the chip)

Can anyone tell me if that temp is safe?
      Should I just take it back and get a 110w chip?

Appreciate any help/advice!

Cheers,
      Chad

• FX9590 Max Safe Temp?
          hardcoregames™

Originally posted by: chadreitsma   </p>

Hey all,

I just finished a new build with my FX-9590 + ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z mobo and the chip seems to run RIDICULOUSLY hot..Under about 40% load the temps spike up to 60c... Running Prime95 spikes it above 65 and the ASUS Warning pops up. Idle sits at 43c

I have already tried down-volting to 1.75, didn't change anything. I am cooling it with a Dual-Radiator H100i GTX CLC, and MX-4 Thermal paste (grain of rice sized amount in the middle of the chip)

Can anyone tell me if that temp is safe?  Should I just take it back and get a 110w chip?

Appreciate any help/advice!

Cheers, Chad

</end quote></div>

you might want to get a water cooler for your CPU, no way it will last at those temperatures

• Re: FX9590 Max Safe Temp?
            noriyori_kudo

I know this is old thread, just wanted to thro my two cents in.

I have a 9590 with the asrock Fatal1ty 970 pro and a corsair h60. Seems small but with a small mod cools great.

I put everything in a old dell xps 730x case.  The h60 is 120 and has 1 fan that spins at 1500 max rpms. So I got two 120mm 2000 rpm fans, to push and pull. one on each side. 20 dollars for both fans. As anyone knows the 730x case fan blow hard at full speed all fans about 4k to 5k and have a low quiet speed at idle right around 1500k.

So I get idle temps of 26c or 78f with a ambient temperature of 72f.

I have never had my temp go over 48c while I game with Black ops 3 or battlefield 4.

Also when I do video rendering It is at 42c.

Now to get my readings for temps I use multi software's, with also a thermal temperature gun and the fatal1y program is pretty close not off by much more then 1/2 c.

So it is not just the CPU cooler its self, also the environment and the case you have it setup in.

I run it at small over clock of 5.6Ghz with turbo of 5.9Ghz.

20151110_082048.jpg

Now a mineral oil case would be the way to go for max over clock. However you would have to build one, or use a fish tank design.

shaneherald

5.9 ghz.....that's awesome..... I have heard a lot of people say the 9590 is very hard to get over 5ghz.....id like to know more about your overclocks...I have a 8350 I run 24/7 at 5ghz but I am planning on getting the 9590 and after seeing your post makes me say yep ...most definitely going to get one.....5.9 is amazing ...

what is your board overclocked to ...what is ram ...I would like to know every thing....voltages...clocks ....im a spec/data geek .......I need to know...lol...

techguy

Be advised that all of the AMD FX CPUs come from the same silicon. An FX-8350 is the same as a FX-9590 with the exception that the FX-9590 is a factory overclocked CPU that requires a higher default vcore voltage and more total power all the time. How high of a frequency a CPU will OC to depends on many factors including the CPU, RAM, mobo, PSU and many BIOS settings. You will not find many FX-9590 CPUs with significant OC'ing headroom as 5.0 GHz. appears to be the common "wall" for P95 system stability with normally cooled Vishera core FX processors. If you're not concerned with P95 system stability then you can sometimes see slightly higher usable CPU frequencies but you are likely to experience BSOD, crashes and re-booting. Phase change extreme cooling will allow higher stable CPU frequencies but this isn't practical for everyday use.

shaneherald

and I all ready know all this ....if you go to the firestrike benchmarks post you will see my 8350 right up there with the 9590's.....how ever I am still convinced I will gain some performance running a 9590 at 5ghz vs this 8350 at 5ghz.....

techguy

If you run the FX-8350 and the FX-9590 at the same frequency you will get essential identical performance because they are the same silicon/architecture/CPU. The FX-9590 is just a factory overclocked FX-8350 so it's unclear why you believe that the FX-9590 running at 5.0 GHz. will deliver any tangible performance difference over the FX-8350 running at 5.0 GHz.

BTW, when I respond to a question in these types of forums, my intent is to help anyone who reads the thread now or in the future, not just the person who asked a question or who posted a comment. Thus by emphasizing the variables involved with OC'ing and the reported "wall" experienced by thousands of FX users, the intent is to share useful information that may benefit all FX users. This can prevent misunderstandings or a need for some PC enthusiast to ask many additional questions when the info. provided answers numerous related issues. We all have different experience levels and by sharing we can all benefit without having people post the same questions over and over as new people come to the forum looking for answers to similar questions.

rakayl

As much as I hate to agree with techguy, I have to agree with him about 9590 is just a factory OC version of 8350, truth of the matter is every spec are the same except it runs with a little bit higher voltage and hotter and yes the speed is faster................isn't that classic overclocking?  So ya, I would consider myself as one of the "victim" who got tricked by AMD and bought 9590 instead of 8350, the only lucky part on my end was, i bought it when it was on special so at the time the price different was only $20CAD.

rakayl

I am sorry......WHAT?!  I don't want to be mean but unless you can provide proof, I am going to call your bullxxxx.

Overclocking 9590 more then 5.0 is hard enough, you overclocked it to 5.6 AND having turbo mode on?  AND doing all that with just H-60 on with idle temp 26c?  Let me guess, you must have all 8 cores instead of cutting out any cores too right?

9590 is a 250w TDP CPU and running at 4.7 turbo to 5.0.  Meaning not only you did a 20% overclock, you did it with Turbo mode on and one of the lowest spec AIO water cooling.  Show us CPU-Z.  Not only I will apologize for the mean things I have said, I am sure you will get well known because you will put Kingpin to sleep.

People here are actually trying to get help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          vegasecurea

Greetings. I'm not much of an OCer. Its advertised as a 5GHz processor so I run it at that speed, stable at around 60 degrees on load with the stock cooler. Only downsides for me are...

1. The stock cooler it came with are the stinky Cooler Master instead of the AMD Asetek Liquid Cooler. All reviews of it show its better than Cooler Master's. I am currently looking for one to replace it. The LED FX logo on it is SWEET!

2. The FX-9590 does not support 2400MHz. I have the AMD R9 Gamer Edition 2400MHz. Max I can get it stable at is 2133MHz. Can any of you guys get yours to run stable at 2400MHz?

techguy

60C under full load is just fine as 61c is the max posted official FX-8150 temp. AMD has not listed online any max operating FX CPU temps since the FX-81xx models. AMD needs to update this info. so that AMD users know if and when their CPU is running beyond it's designed max operating temp as excessive heat can damage any processor.

AMD FX processors only officially support RAM frequencies up to 1866 MHz. though pretty much any quality RAM seems to run just fine on FX mobos up to 2133 MHz.

DDR3 memory frequency guide

It's no surprise that the FX-9000 series don't run RAM at 2400 MHz. as these CPUs are just factory overclocked FX-8350 models. It's also worth noting that there is only a minute performance gain in PC system performance from using DDR3 RAM  with a higher than ~1600 MHz. frequency. The reason why the higher frequency RAM offers no tangible system performance gains is because DDR3 RAM running at ~1600 MHz. is not a system bottleneck. Thus the only gains are in the minute real time difference between 1600 MHZ. and whatever faster frequency RAM you use. Older DDR and DDR2 RAM was a system bottleneck and that's why faster RAM and tighter latencies could make a tangible improvement is system performance.  The one exception is with APUs where the GPU section of the APU can use ~2133 MHz. RAM for more graphics bandwidth. Beyond ~2133 MHz. for APUs there is once again diminishing system performance returns.

The same applies to DDR4 which is intended primarily for servers. DDR4 doesn't bring any tangible performance over DDR3 RAM at the same frequency or even higher frequency for desktop CPU systems. LV DDR3 RAM consumes low power similar to DDR4. So until processors need more bandwidth DDR4 and higher frequency DDR3  will not deliver any significant system performance improvement. It's worth noting that RAM benchmarks typically provide a performance rating on the RAMs "potential" not it's actual system performance. That's why the benchmarks do not accurately simulate real system performance running real applications. RAM tests using real applications confirm the minute system performance gains even with RAM intensive games or video.

rasgumby

20160116_202814.jpgMine is also a new build, was running about the same temps as yours when I ran format factory to convert 4 movies at a time.. all 8 core running at 100%-would run just over 90c so I shut it down.

with an internal water cooler, the case temps are a major problem with the 9590 processor.

I build an external cooler (my first) with 2 x 240mm rads. a bit overkill but rather safe than sorry.

then in CPU water cooler block.. works best (by test) with the water running from bottom to top, this removes air bubbles from CPU block.

Now idle at under 10c and 100% load I cant get it to run over 51c no matter how long I run it at full load.

Very happy with results!

techguy

Your CPU temp of 90C for the CPU core is incorrect as the FX CPUs starts to drop vcore/frequency at 70C and will completely shut down at ~80C to prevent thermal damage to the CPU. You may have been looking at "CPU temp" in software that uses the CPU socket, instead of the internal CPU core temp. Numerous software does this unfortunately as socket temp was all that was available years ago and many software developers never bothered to change the software readout to read "CPU socket temp" and to properly display the CPU "core" temp, which is what is critical. FX CPU socket temps IME can run 10-25C higher than the CPU core temp, because the socket has no active cooling like the CPU has. There is also software out there that completely misreads the CPU core temp or adds some offset like 15C to the actual CPU core temp. As a result this software makes all the CPU temp data incorrect.

If you're running your FX-9590 hard with graphics files I'd keep an eye on the VRM temp which can be read from some software on some mobos. The FX processors draw a lot of electrical power and it's easy to overheat a VRM circuit if it isn't designed properly to handle 8-core FX CPUs, especially the high 220w TDP of the FX-9000 series. When the VRM overheats it drops the CPU frequency and vcore for a few seconds to cool the VRM and then reverts back to full load frequency for a few seconds and then drops down again to cool, then back up to full speed again. This cycle will continue as long as the VRM circuit is overheated and a heavy load is applied to it.

rasgumby

I really cant speak to the accuracy of the programs, I am using asrock extreme 9 board, asrock extreme tuning and open hardware monitor, they said previously the temps were running over 90c on the Core temp before external water cooling and even at those temps said all cores were running at 4.985+ ?! so who knows for sure, the programs could be wrong.

With the external cooler.. says under 10c core idle and never over 51c full load. either way a crazy/ relaxing difference in temps.

also says cpu socket is around 70c. 7 x 120mm fans in the case so the rest of the temps are staying cool.

All I know for fact is.. with internal water cooler It all ran so hot that I had to shut it down.

The external cooler cost less to build than the processor alone cost, and temps so low that I have no worries about running this system hard.

rakayl

Just like techguy mentioned we are all here discussing and helping each other so before you read on please don't take what I say as challenging you in any way.  I am not sure about the temp limitation techguy mentioned but I can confirm about what he said.  I am using 9590 myself and I tried 2 AIO water cooling so far, H80i and Kuhler H2O 1250.  When I changed from H80i to H2O 1250, the contact between cpu and the cold plate wasn't perfect which caused the computer to shut down at around 80C.

Now I think your external cooler method is way over kill and more then likely the very first time when you saw 90C it could be the same problem that I had.  Honestly, the only time my core temp went above 70 was when I overclock it to 5Ghz, using H80i as the cooler and running stress test to push it to 100%.  As soon as I switched to H2O 1250, I hardly get anything above 40C running anything without overclocking and when I overclock it to all 8 cores 5GHz, I got 65C max but on the other hand VRM was at 70.

All and all FX-9590 Overclock with all 8 cores, I think the wall is at 5Ghz but temp doesn't seems to be a problem as long as you have watercooling of almost any kind.  Like techguy said, I worried about the VRM temp more then the CPU temp at times.

rasgumby

No argument at all!  here to share and learn.

I do agree about the 8350, have one in another comp with a big air cooler, never a temp problem at all.. even overclocked to 4.6

Not largely impressed with the 9590, don't really think the 220w and heat is worth the speed difference.  Thanks guys

still fun building the cooler heck.. it all fun

techguy

I never cared much for the Asrock software but I use, like and recommend their Extreme series mobos which have proven to be top performers with good VRM designs to handle the 8-core FX processors. (Always verify support of FX8xxx and FX-9xxx series processors you plan to use).

The software takes data from the mobo and creates a display. I haven't checked to see if the current Asrock software is accurate or misreporting as many do, that's why I mentioned it. As far as 10C at idle, that number looks bogus also as the water in you liquid cooler would need to be significantly cooler than the ambient room temp unless you're in a  freezing cold room, literally.

The original equipment HSFs or liquid coolers supplied with AMD processors can keep the specific processor they are supplied with properly cooled unless you have very high ambient room temps, typically above 85 F and you're running your processor under max load for long periods of time. Naturally with FX-8xxx or 9xxx series CPUs you need to have proper airflow through the PC case to remove the CPU and GPU processor heat created under heavy load.

Numerous people with liquid coolers have had to mount their fans blowing the outside air into the case to obtain sufficient cooling. Unfortunately blowing the radiator air into the PC case isn't good as it increases the operating environment temp for the HDD/GPU and other PC components. The larger, higher capacity tower coolers allow proper cooling of any AMD CPU with minimal noise and excellent reliability. A quality HSF eliminates the liability of a coolant leak damaging the PC hardware as happens more frequently than some like to admit. For those that are interested in better CPU cooling than the OEM cooler, proper scientific CPU cooler testing shows the top tower HSFs cool better than pretty much all of the liquid coolers up to the H100 or similar and the tower coolers cost less. If you desire a more quiet, efficient CPU cooler a high end tower cooler might be right for you. Always check clearances as some coolers limit RAM usage in 1or 2 RAM slots.

rasgumby

Agree temps prob off, on cooler it says water is 24c or 75f.  this has never gone over 31c

is there a more accurate freeware prog for temps?

Is part of why I wanted the external cooler.. avoid the heat inside the case caused by the rad. The cooler the better.

really do wish I could get accurate temps though.

techguy

The applet "Core Temp" seems to work well for reading AMD CPUs. I'm sure there are others. Most programs including AMDs AOD had issues with temp accuracy on the low temps such as ambient room temp. According to AMD engineering the temps are pretty accurate on "Core Temp" and some other applets in the 60C range which is where many FX 8-core CPUs are rated for max operating temp such as the FX-8150 @ 61C. If you decide to try the "Core Temp" applet, be careful to read and uncheck and advertising or other applets that you do NOT desire to download. Creators of these applets are using advertising to compensate them for their hard work, but it can result in unhappy users if they end up with unwanted programs or SPAM as a result. I and other people have suggested donations instead of advertising to support the applet creators.

rasgumby

Ran core temp.. Didn't get far.. said temp is 2c, I really don't think so. then is under a minute, BSOD "page fault".

removed it completely and re-downloaded it from another site.. same thing.

Think I will stick with extreme tuning utility.. lol

Thanks though, was worth a shot.

tomtalk24

I just use HWiNFO with my Aquaero.

Aqua.PNG

Most sensors will be down to 1 decimal place, I dont think it uses WMI. You also get a choice of read rate, 2 seconds by default and it seems to be a good, any faster and im sure it would start to become inaccurate. In comparison to AIDA, I would say they are on par. The sensor service can be run in the background, and remotely read.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

EDIT:

And you can have sensors print to a graph on your desktop if need be.

techguy

I've never had an issue with "Core Temp" but there could be a corrupt version out there. The applet creator is usually quick to fix any bugs however. As previously indicated there are other applets that display AMD processors reasonably accurately in the 60C temp range but I just don't have time to check them all out. The point of the discussion is of course to be sure that your processor is not overheating. Whatever temp the processor runs at below the max defined operating temp is insignificant as far as reliable operation goes. None of the applets seem to be able to get the lower temps correct so you might as well ignore them. Hopefully this will all be fixed when Zen arrives???

t77chevy

i believe amd overdrive has the best readout for fx line , it reads in thermal margin and its 0 point is 72c , although hwinfo64 /mobo bios " asrock 990fx extreme 9 "  and amd overdrive all seem to agree on temps once cpu gets over 30c , I'm custom looped and wont break 50c under prime 95 , and in game like gta 5 runs on average 31-32c with my ambient of 23c " couple 480 rads and a 360 all set in push/pull with dual d5 pumps " also have my quadfire 295x2 in this loop " .

ideally for normal operation you don,t want higher then a 62c temp on average and with fx and decent cooling this isn't an issue

techguy

Unfortunately unless AMD has corrected the flaw in AOD, it does NOT use the correct max operating temp to calculate the thermal margin and as such shows as much as 9 degrees more thermal capacity than actually exists on the FX CPUs. To be specific AMD shows 61C as the max operating temp on the FX-8150 CPU but AOD uses 70C to calculate the thermal margin. 70C is the point where the CPU internally starts lowering the frequency to prevent the CPU from literally burning itself up. 61C however is the max true operating temp for the FX-8150 CPU and likely other FX model 8-core CPUs, though AMD has failed to post the temps for all FX CPUs after the FX-8150, for some unknown reason. This needs to be corrected so consumers know if their CPU is overheating or not.

The problem comes in that between 61C - 70C, most FX CPUs will experience BSODs, crashes and re-boots because 61C is just about the thermal limit before the CPU starts to experience problems. (This has been documented in actual testing). Thus using the 70C temp figure to calculate the thermal margin results in incorrect information being displayed that could allow the FX CPUs to be overheated and malfunctioning, yet AOD would still say the CPU thermal margin was acceptable, when it is not. AOD needs to be rewritten with the proper max operating temps for each model AMD processors as some have a 61C, others have a 71.3C and some notebook APU/CPUs have 90+ max operating temps.

tomtalk24

Sorry to but(t) in, your all providing some very interesting points. But I'm baffled...

My understanding is the sensor on any die is not ever going to be accurate enough so in this case with AMD they use that poor sensor along with the load to work out an algorithm to determine the temp. Why would AOD not be reporting properly in comparison to the BIOS? Would the quality of the sensor in every CPU need to be 100% consistent to produce the same readings? This I believe is why AMD say 72oc, to be on the safe side for everyone? Some could run hotter, obviously for a longer life cooler is better.

My understanding with AMD CPUs it they are fairly tolerant to heat, in my case the only damage I have ever got from heat was a few pins burning out due to very poor  socket cooling. At the time the core temp was fine but socket was way too high. Learned a lesson from that

t77chevy

i thought overdrive 0 was based off 72c , could be wrong . and its still a correct readout as they state a max of 62c for 24/7 running temp which would be 10c on overdrive thermal margin , and having a couple aio fail on me it will definitely go higher then 70c before any bsod happen and the actual silicone on the chip is good to around 92-94c but will/should throttle / shut down before this temp is reached , the 62c safe limit is a " overhead limit" for actual running temps tbh , this readout isnt any good for idle temps , but supposedly great for load temps , how true or not that is idk.

techguy

70C is the temp that FX CPUs start to modulate the frequency to prevent damage. APUs have a higher thermal cut-off limit as some APUs show 70.3C as the max operating temp. This is primarily due to APUs having a GPU section within which generates a lot of TDP. As such the CPU side of the APU runs at a lower frequency than it could run at if it was not subjected to the higher temps. Notebook CPUs/APUs which can operate in the 90C range in normal use are similar in that they run at lower frequencies than they could operate at with a 61C or similar max operating temp. I've tested enough FX CPUs to be able to confirm the 70C cut-off and the instability issues in the mid-60C temps. That's why AMD listed 61C for the FX-8150.

techguy

AOD is a side project by some AMD employees. It is not an "official AMD program/endorsement" as it states. AOD uses the same method as Core Temp, HWiNFO and several other applets use to determine the CPU core temp which is a single output signal from the CPU core read by the mobo. The applets take the output signal from the mobo and divide by 8 because the temp signal outputs in 1/8th degree increments. Without using the entire AMD algorithm, which no one appears to have except AMD and they aren't talking... the temp readings according to AMD Engineering, are only accurate in the ~60-70C range with the best applets. The temps a mobo shows can be "processed" by the mobo resulting in different temps than actual CPU core temps. This usually happens when a mobo maker guesses at an offset for the temp signal or has a poorly made mobo.

The 70C cut-off temp is built in to protect the FX CPUs from self destruction. At 70C the CPUs drop frequency to lower TDP. If the CPU continues to climb in temp, at ~80C the CPU will shut down completely to save the CPU. As mentioned in my comment to t77chevy, there are different cut-off temps for different styles and models of CPUs/APUs. The FX CPUs use 70C as the cut off point. This is all documented in the AMD white papers.

By using the 70C cut-off point instead of the proper user max operating temp for each specific model CPU, AOD shows an improper thermal safety margin that doesn't actually exist. I advised AMD Engineering of this when the originally "thermal margin version" of AOD was released. AMD engineers confirmed that 70C was being used and that it was not the max user operating temp and as such the thermal margin was incorrect. The producers of AOD were not happy to learn they used an improper temp but they did. They used the wrong reference temp of 70C instead of the proper max user CPU temp as is listed in at least some of the FX CPU specifications but only up to the FX-8150 models. AOD should be able to identify every APU/CPU installed and use the proper max operating temp to calculate thermal margin but more importantly AOD should show the TRUE CPU/APU core temp without the error induced by NOT having the algorithm used by AMD engineering to read the core temps.

tomtalk24

I appreciated your reply and well informed knowledge on the situation. I have avoided AOD for a while now thinking its just a free, gimmick type toy, but think I will change this view. It would be lovely to export this data, my OCD wont like what I have read

Thanks again, fascinating.

luukroelofs

Hey guys I have had my AMD FX-9590 for over a year now and it has always ran very hot but today I stress tested it for literally 7 minutes and I hit 96C.

My cooler is a cooler master hyper 412s with an extra decent case fan so it runs with 2 fans and the stress testing program I use is HeavyLoad.

My motherboard is an AsRock extreme 9 and my graphics card is an asus strix r9 390 which hits around 93/94c in the summer but during the stress test it stayed around 65c (the gpu itself wasn't being stress tested).

My pc also sometimes turns itself off when I play games for over half an hour without an FPS limiter which is weird because I have a really good corsair power supply, I think it's the rm750 or something.

I have cleaned my pc yesterday and everything was running just fine and the fans were all spinning in the right directions, I have 4 case fans not including cpu or gpu fans.

benman2785

sry for my late response:

UR COOLER ISNT SUITABLE FOR THAT CPU - only a few Air-Coolers can handle it -> Noctua NH-D15 or Thermalright SilverArrow-Extreme

i run my with T:SAE with 5GHz@1.536V (medium LLC on GA 990FX-Gaming) and get 55°C on Load (peaks to 65°C) - so on a very hot summerday i may have to reduce my OC and Voltage // and my Cooler is 2-3x better as yours...

noptix

Extreme 9 ASRock running thermaltake dual fan radiator and coolermaster low CPU heat sink drop temp about 10 C adding the secondary heatsink with applying phoyba thermal glue to water heatsink????

baja_bandit

i know this thread is old but imma throw in my $0.02 anyways

i have the Fx-6300 with the AsRock 990FX Extreme 9 motherboard and a GTX1080TI and just now ordered the 9590. i needed an in-between processor till i feel i can justify a ryzen build or w/e new processors come out in 2 years ( im confident this 9590 will get me 2 years out of this build) all the cooling in the world isnt going to help you if you don't apply the proper amount of thermal compound. a grain of rice doesn't sound like enough to me personally. i always hear people say to use a pea size. i have watched many video's that show the method os application doesn't really effect the heat much however to little isnt going to do you much good. i also saw one video mention that cpu cooler faces can sometimes have a concave or convex surface that the thermal compound is supposed to mitigate so this goes back to the whole not using enough thing. the manufacturers probably use a belt sander like device that would not leave a perfect plane.

im running a Thermaltake water 3.0 with a 360 MM Rad with 3 push fans and when i get my 9590 im going to lap the cpu lid down to 5K grit sand paper and add 2 pull fans ( bc psu blocks 1/2 an inch of the back of the radiator). im more than confident heat isnt going to be a problem with this setup