4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 3:31 AM by hardcoregames™

Rebadging my out of the maze

hardcoregames™

AMD and NVIDIA etc all have bins at the end of the production line

anyway my GPU this week is the HD 6970 as in my signature

now the HD 7970 is a newer GPU and it seems to be rebadged to the R9 280X

so this means the real new GPU is the R9 290X 

on ebay HD 7970 are falling fast and I have been pondering picking up one

problem is my HD 6970 is not hurting, its extreme enough to get the job done

• Rebadging my out of the maze
          Cornugon

Wait until the 390X is released, they probably will cause the 290(X) to drop in price as well. Or maybe the rebadged 290X (if any) will come with HDMI 2.0 this time.

A 7970 is indeed faster than a 6970. Usually new editions of cards are like 1.5 times faster than those that they replace, however the 7970 is even faster than 1.5 times a 6970. I remember seeing benchmarks that they pretty much came near the 6990 performance-wise. It wasn't even that much slower.

I skipped the 7970 since I thought it wasn't faster than my 6990 at the time. But the 290X was, so I went for that.

Now I'm probably going for a single card which is faster than my current Crossfire solution, which isn't going to be the 390X.

hardcoregames™

I have a 2-way board and enough PSU for 2 cards so that is an option

I have been tracking price rot for HD 7970s for some time now and they are coming down to where I easily afford 2 or 3

I am using 1920x1080 only as higher resolutions start getting expensive fast.

Cornugon

Originally posted by: Vegan  I have a 2-way board and enough PSU for 2 cards so that is an option</p>

I have been tracking price rot for HD 7970s for some time now and they are coming down to where I easily afford 2 or 3

I am using 1920x1080 only as higher resolutions start getting expensive fast.

</end quote></div>

Keep in mind that stuff like downsampling and supersampling require beefier setups which are more or less 4K-ready.

hardcoregames™

Unless my panel craps out, its unlikely I will buy a new anytime soon. I have a respectable 23" panel with S-IPS so the color quality is solid. That cost me more than all my video cards together.

I am sticking with HDMI only because it has not been a problem. When HDMI 2.0 matures over the next 3-5 years I expect to see prices tumble fast.

I am lookng at the HD 7970 mostly to make sure I can still crank up game graphics. Some recent titles are more demanding but nothing is currently unplayable.

VRAM seems to be more at issue with some uppity titles lately, the incumbant has 2048MB and the candidate HD 7970 has 3072MB and more expensive cards are now offering more.

This is more of a focus for me while I consider options.