12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 1:46 AM by Cornugon

3D Mark API Overhead test

Cornugon

Well I've done the overhead test which tests DX11, 12 and Mantle. But since the Draw calls for Mantle are that astronomically higher than those of DX11, is there something wrong with DX11 performance?

• 3D Mark API Overhead test
          backFireX64

No it is normal and shows the tremendous benefit of mantle and the dx12 api.

See this article:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/quick-test-directx-12-api-overhead-benchmark.html

Cornugon

Ah nice, didn't see that article yet. And good to know DX12 is somewhere near Mantle's result. Promising indeed

kingfish

I was under the impression that mantle benefited the mid range cards and processors. Doesn't look like that's the case. I downloaded an ran the new Mark...posted the reults in benchmarking. The Firestorm test is really demanding. I would be curious to see what a single 290x would score on that..could you run that Cornugon?

Cornugon

Originally posted by: stumped  I was under the impression that mantle benefited the mid range cards and processors. Doesn't look like that's the case. I downloaded an ran the new Mark...posted the reults in benchmarking. The Firestorm test is really demanding. I would be curious to see what a single 290x would score on that..could you run that Cornugon?</p>

</end quote></div>

Already did a while back, so here's my single R9 290X score on a i7 4770:

black_zion
                  Glad I sold my 5970 and bought this 7970, only cost me net about $50.
                      backFireX64

Originally posted by: black_zion  Glad I sold my 5970 and bought this 7970, only cost me net about $50.</end quote></div></p>

Sure, that is a more permanent "fix" i guess.

And a good choice also, cause you got rid of all the crossfirex side effects at the same time.

kingfish

BF4 on my computer runs a solid 60fps with mantle. BF 4 runs a solid 75 fps using DX 11. I wonder if mantle implements vert sync? Or, is the initial info on mantle correct...the benefits are more noticable on mid range graphics and CPU's? Same game settings and CCC settings.

Cornugon

Originally posted by: stumped  BF4 on my computer runs a solid 60fps with mantle. BF 4 runs a solid 75 fps using DX 11. I wonder if mantle implements vert sync? Or, is the initial info on mantle correct...the benefits are more noticable on mid range graphics and CPU's? Same game settings and CCC settings.</p>

</end quote></div>

I'm going to check it out myself. I still have a week 'gametime' so why not use it now.

In my case I found that Dragon Age: Inquisition ran smoother using Mantle, aside from the ridiculous loadtimes, Thief (yeah I know different engine) has a higher fps too.

kingfish

Here are my in-game settings. All I did was change DX 11 to mantle. These never changed.

Cornugon

I've tested this. I loaded up the map 'Test Range' and walked towards the vehicles in view. That short piece I got 110-120fps using DX11 and 130-140fps using Mantle. So even a 'high end' CPU gains an advantage.

My graphics settings were at 2560x1440 (using DSR ofcourse), Ultra settings, MSAAx4, and a FOV of 70 (I hate the fish-eye view at high FOVs, but I don't like the in-your-face look of a low FOV either, so this is something which I'm comfortable at).

Concerning the forced VSync using Mantle, did you try setting the CCC-option (yeah you know, the one that never works) to Off? Or 'Off, unless app specifies otherwise'?

kingfish

Yes...I had it set to 'off unless'..normally I have it 'on unless' . Strange.

Cornugon

Originally posted by: stumped  Yes...I had it set to 'off unless'..normally I have it 'on unless' . Strange.</p>

</end quote></div>

Yeah strange indeed. I ran into this 'issue' when trying to compare Thief Mantle results.

We should file a report: 'CCC VSync setting actually works when using Mantle. Please fix this ASAP so that it no longer works, like intended, or I'm going nVidia'.

Granted it only partially works, if set to 'On, unless...' it doesn't listen to the game's setting when set to off in-game, but still...