6 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2015 10:39 AM by iwalkwithedead

Hyper 212 Evo vs FX 9000 series

hardcoregames™

I have not been able to find any review that talks about what an engineer would ask about thermal solutions

I have been avoiding extreme power processors and the Phenom I have now is actually even more of a power pig than my old Athlon I was using years ago. The old Athlon was 65W while the Phenom is 125W.

So I buy a giant cooler to deal with noise and my Phenom runs fine even at stock speed. I can overclock to 4 GHz and no problem.

So I see some faster processors but they are 220W power pigs which is quite a bit more load than my Phenom even overclocked.

So can my Hyper 212 handle the load of the FX 9000 power pigs?

• Hyper 212 Evo vs FX 9000 series
          Earnhardt

water cooling only,its whats recommended for them .

System Requirements

This AMD Processor has a TDP (Thermal Design Power) of 220 Watts1 at the 4.7 / 5.0GHz stock clock, which far exceeds most current processors by 100 Watts or more! Most CPU Coolers, including most Liquid Coolers cannot handle this extreme heat output.

At the time of introduction, Memory Express has 5 CPU Coolers (all available separately) that are rated to cover a 220W TDP:

• Hyper 212 Evo vs FX 9000 series
            backFireX64

So can my Hyper 212 handle the load of the FX 9000 power pigs?</p>

</end quote></div>

Yes, with a 2-fan configuration, a good case airflow, low ambient air temperatures ouside and inside your pc case  and a premium quality thermal paste, it can handle stock voltage and speed, but just barely.

I wouldn't be too comfortable with an air cooling solution for the FX9000 series chips, unless the environment on which you operate the PC has low temperatures. Summer hot days could be a problem in some countries, though an air-conditioner can work around that.

I would go with at least a top quality closed-loop liquid cooling solution if i were you. Especially if you plan to overclock it.

• Re: Hyper 212 Evo vs FX 9000 series
              sgtbilko

I did a test with a 212X last night actually and found it can handle my FX-8350 @ 4.6Ghz with 1.47v and 2400Mhz Ram
              4.6Ghz Stable 212X.png

So it could handle a FX-9370 IF you have, Good airflow, Push/Pull fans and a Good motherboard with nice power delivery.

I'd suggest getting an FX-8370 instead as those chips are still fast but will require less voltage to run with means less heat.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • Re: Hyper 212 Evo vs FX 9000 series
                  iwalkwithedead

sgtbilko wrote:

I did a test with a 212X last night actually and found it can handle my FX-8350 @ 4.6Ghz with 1.47v and 2400Mhz Ram
                  4.6Ghz Stable 212X.png

So it could handle a FX-9370 IF you have, Good airflow, Push/Pull fans and a Good motherboard with nice power delivery.

I'd suggest getting an FX-8370 instead as those chips are still fast but will require less voltage to run with means less heat.

Nice!