cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

nibal
Challenger

CoodeXL 1.7 crashes? with SIGPIPE in Teapot example

I am new to CodeXL and started by going through the Quick Start guide. Working with Ubuntu 14.04 x64 and with latest CodeXL (1.7). I reached the first example, the Teapot one. Loaded it, ran it, SIGPIPE. Write to pipe with no readers. I have to exit CodeXL after that to continue. The matrix multiplication example profiles OK. CodeXL seems to use gdb. I need CodeXL to debug my openCL app. Is this a general Teapot problem, and how can i get it working? Why does CodeXL become unresponsive and have to start it over?

0 Likes
1 Solution

After a short search in the Internet, i was able to solve the problem. The error is shown in the CodeXLServers.log. Failed to load the correct libGL.so (x64). In so doing, couldn't communicate with the OpenGL servers via pipes. Therefore the SIGPIPE. Fixing LD_LIBRARY_PATH cured it.

Since both fgrlx and the SDK fix this path in /etc/profile.d why couldn't CodeXL do the same? Furthermore it is inelegant to crash with a SIGPIPE. Better response would be to exit with an error message once it cannot load libGL.so.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
dorono
Staff

Hi nibal,

Can you share some more details of your system: CPU and GPU make and model, which Catalyst version is installed.

What CodeXL mode did you use to run Teapot - debug or profile?

Does Teapot run properly when launched outside of CodeXL?

Also, can you share the CodeXL log files located under /tmp/ Look for 2 files: CodeXL-your_login_name.log and CodeXLServers-your_login_name.log

Thanks

0 Likes

Ty for your fast response.

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor x64

Video Card: ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Saphire, Pitcairn GPU x64

Using fglrx 14.501.1003 in Ubuntu 14.04 x64, openCL 1.2.

I am following the quick start guide. First debugging example is the Teapot. Profiling is the next example with Matrix multiplication without any problems.

Yes, Teapot runs fine on its own. Problem is from CodeXL 😞

Attaching logs. CodeXL Servers log seems fine.

0 Likes
nibal
Challenger

I think it is pretty obvious what happens. CodeXL 1.7 launches openCL servers, for whatever reason. Doesn't make much architectural sense. It communicates with them over named pipes for efficiency. Client starts writing to these pipes before server has the chance to start to listen. This requires a patch. Is there a place I can download older CodeXL versions?

0 Likes

It's been almost a month without any responses or an opencl debugger. I cannot debug anything with CodeXL, it always crashes with SIGPIPE. Using the new catalyst driver 15.101 doesn't help either.

Is this the kind of support I can expect from these forums? Maybe it was a mistake investing in AMD hardware, and should have gone with Intel's platform instead 😞

0 Likes

After a short search in the Internet, i was able to solve the problem. The error is shown in the CodeXLServers.log. Failed to load the correct libGL.so (x64). In so doing, couldn't communicate with the OpenGL servers via pipes. Therefore the SIGPIPE. Fixing LD_LIBRARY_PATH cured it.

Since both fgrlx and the SDK fix this path in /etc/profile.d why couldn't CodeXL do the same? Furthermore it is inelegant to crash with a SIGPIPE. Better response would be to exit with an error message once it cannot load libGL.so.

0 Likes