cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

matusi143
Adept II

OpenCL in Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V

OK, since I was unable to find a web host which supported OpenCL (separate thread) I went ahead and set up an Azure VM.  Looking at control panel I see it is running on an older Opteron cpu.  However, the video card is not accessible, I just see the Microsoft Hyper-V adapter.

Is there a way to install the opencl.dll on this machine such that it can run OpenCL on the CPU?  I truly don't mind if it is slow as molasses.  Rather, forgetting that it is a VM.  Is there a way to install opencl.dll for an Opteron CPU only? I just want to get this up on the web somewhere.  This is really getting to the point where I just need to build my own server and host it in the house.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello matusi143,

AMD APP SDK can be installed on machines which do not have GPU or any accelerators. AMD APP SDK installs the OpenCL runtimes and in such cases the OpenCL runtime simulates OpenCL acceleration on the CPU itself. So whether it is a VMware hypervisor or an Azure based VM. For AMD APP SDK they are all the same and will fallback to the CPU.

Just make sure that your virtual machines have the 32-bit Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 redistributable installed. You can download the redistributable from: Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 from Official Microsoft Download...

Regards,

Manish

View solution in original post

2 Replies
nou
Exemplar

When you install AMD APP SDK you should be able to use CPU device.

Hello matusi143,

AMD APP SDK can be installed on machines which do not have GPU or any accelerators. AMD APP SDK installs the OpenCL runtimes and in such cases the OpenCL runtime simulates OpenCL acceleration on the CPU itself. So whether it is a VMware hypervisor or an Azure based VM. For AMD APP SDK they are all the same and will fallback to the CPU.

Just make sure that your virtual machines have the 32-bit Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 redistributable installed. You can download the redistributable from: Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 from Official Microsoft Download...

Regards,

Manish