Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

pinform
Staff

Updated AMD OpenCL user’s guide – provide your feedback

Recently, we re-purposed the AMD OpenCL programmer’s guide into two documents:

• The AMD OpenCL user’s guide, containing relevant OpenCL information for basic users
  • The AMD OpenCL optimization guide, containing optimization guidelines for advanced users

While we have updated the AMD OpenCL optimization guide with relevant updates within the scope of the AMD APP SDK 3.0 Beta, I wanted to solicit feedback on the document.

We also made significant enhancements to the AMD OpenCL user’s guide including:

• Relevant information about the GCN family of devices
  • In-depth information and examples on how to build host and device programs in a variety of ways
  • A high-level summary of the new CodeXL for OpenCL code debugging and profiling
  • A new chapter containing insights about each OpenCL 2.0 feature along with usage guidelines
  • New appendices on new and deprecated functions in OpenCL 2.0 and on SPIR
  • Updated OpenCL optional extensions

We are continuing to update the user guide and the optimization guide to provide the most relevant and updated information to OpenCL developers the world across. 

Your kudos, complaints, and suggestions will let us know how we are doing and will help define future updates.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Likes
4 Replies
rahulgarg
Adept II

The first feedback is that there is insufficient hardware information. For example, I would like to know which GPUs support OpenCL 2.0 but this is not clear from the docs. There is a separate page listing the conformance logs submitted for OpenCL 2.0 for a bunch of GPUs but the information there is not very accurate especially for mobile GPUs. For example, I have a laptop with a 8750M which seems should support CL 2.0 but doesn't support them as of Catalyst Omega.

edit: I think instead of listing individual SKUs, it will be better to state which GPU codenames support CL 2.0 (eg: Bonaire does but Tahiti doesn't, or that Kaveri does but Richland doesn't and so on). 

0 Likes

Thanks, Rahul.

Information about which hardware or GPUs support OpenCL 2.0 would be better placed in a page like the above, as the hardware info. will likely get updated faster than the user guide update cycles.  Also, I think (but you may disagree) that this kind of (very specific) info. doesn't belong in the user guide.

The system requirements page has some of this information, as you've identified.   I agree with you that it's better to state the code-names.  I'll pass on feedback to have the page updated.  

--Prasad

0 Likes
ekondis
Adept II

As I already referred in http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/169810, the optimization guide should be updated from the ground up. For instance, table 2.5 is provided only for Southern Islands devices.

The OpenCL 2.0 related info and enhancements are welcome.

0 Likes

Thanks, Elias.

Reg. the optimization guide updates, I've responded on the other thread.  Thanks for the kind words on the OpenCL 2.0 related documentation in the user guide.

We'll continue to update both the user guide and the optimization guide.  In the meantime, do pass on any additional feedback you have (or had) on the user guide.

--Prasad

0 Likes