2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 12:50 PM by secretlair

CodeXL Incompatible with Visual Studio 2010 :(

secretlair

I used to use CodeAnalyst.  Decided to give CodeXL a go.  After installation Visual Studio 2010 SP1 was sluggish, often taking seconds to respond to keypresses.  Every time you closed VS it would crash and restart.  I never even got around to trying the profiler.  I uninstalled CodeXL and VS started working perfectly again.  The plugins I run are

Project Line Counter

Visual Assist X

Productivity Power Tools

The only thing I can think of that is unusual about how I use VS is that I have 8 instances running most of the time.

• Re: CodeXL Incompatible with Visual Studio 2010 :(
          kalyanpk

Hi Secretlair,

In order to narrow down the issue, can you please clarify the following:

- Does VS10 crashes on closing or sluggish if you run only one or two instances?

- In all the 8 instances of VS, different solution files are loaded?

- What is the OS and bitness you are using?

- what is the version of CodeXL you are using? is it 1.5?

Thanks,

Kalyan P

• Re: CodeXL Incompatible with Visual Studio 2010 :(
              secretlair

I reinstalled CodeXL this morning briefly to answer your questions.

VS crashes on close (with a minidump and windows error reporting dialog) even with only a single instance running.  I did not notice Visual Studio running slowly in the few minutes I had CodeXL installed today.  I tried with just one solution and with all 8.  It may take longer for the slowdown to build.  When I was using it before, the slowdown was very significant.

7 have different solutions of one project each, one has a solution with all the other projects inside it.  There are no warnings about files being locked by other instances of visual studio.

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit.

AMD_CodeXL_Win_1.5.6571