cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

arrabal
Journeyman III

AMD App SDK and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450

I've downloaded the latest version (2.9) of the AMD App SDK with the intent of developing and running OpenCL based programs on my laptop's GPU. This laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1564, with Windows 7 x64 and an integrated Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5450 video adapter with 1GB RAM. I installed Visual Studio 2010 and tried to run the sample OpenCL projects included in the SDK, compiling was ok but all of them threw an execution error: "clGetPlatformIDs failed. Error code : CL_PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND_KHR". So, created a new project and compiled a minimal code which consisted in a call to clGetPlatformIDs, that always returned -1001.

I swear I've been googling and trying things for hours without any success. I tried updating catalyst, but the latest version (14) doesn't seem to offer drivers for my video card.  Version 13.12 installed a new driver, but nothing changed.In the page where I downloaded the SDK, it was stated that my GPU was supported for OpenCL programming. In other sites It is said that it supports only ATI Stream SDK 2.3 (which I cannot found anywhere), and in others they said it doesn't support OpenCL at all. In some forum threads they spoke about idc registration, but I don't think it is related. Also, following a suggestion I found, I installed and launched GPU-Z, according to which my card does not support OpenCL.

At this point I am completely lost and clueless. I refuse to accept that my laptop's GPU does not support OpenCL because I found a couple sites (including AMD SDK download site), it is stated the opposite. I will appreciate any help or suggestion on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
3 Replies
nou
Exemplar

CL_PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND==-1001 so in both cases you get same error. there must be problem in you SDK installation because you should at least get AMD platform with CPU device.

0 Likes
sudarshan
Staff

Hi,

Could you please reinstall the driver and run the command "clinfo" at the command prompt? Does it detect any OpenCL compatible platform?

Please give a screenshot of clinfo output.

Thanks,

0 Likes

Looks like your problem is resolved.  Can you confirm?

0 Likes