3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 3:56 AM by pinform

¿VCE Speed?

inad

Hello,

By using VCE for transcoding, which is the difference between a Kaveri APUs (eg A10-7850K) and Kabini APUs (5350 Athlon, Sempron 2650)?

What are the parameters that influence the encoding speed? Processor speed? number of shaders? Memory speed?

thanks

• Re: ¿VCE Speed?
          amit.agarwal

Hi,

Kabini and Kaveri APU both have the same VCE 2.0.  Compared to the VCE version 1.0 available in earlier APUs, VCE 2.0 adds H.264 YUV444 (I-Frames), B-frames for H.264 YUV420, and improvements to the DEM (Display Encode Mode) and provides better encoding quality.

Since the VCE version in Kabini and Kaveri is the same, for the same encoding configuration, the outputs of the VCE blocks should be identical.  However, as the performance depends on VCE speed, Memory Bandwidth, Encoder configuration, the two APUs can offer different performance outcomes.

What is your use-case?

Thanks

inad

Hello,

It 's for a transcoder for broadcast TV systems .

The flow is :

* Decode h264

* Color conversion

* alphacomp

* H264 encoding

* Resample audio

* Encode audio

* Etc ...

* And as fast as possible

Currently provided by some encoders and software optimized as Intel IPP library.

I tried to develop some method in OpenCL and have tried recently an Athlon 5350 that surprised me much good performace to encode to h264.

A basic requirement is to function as service as asked and answered here http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/168650 not like Intel QuickSync does not work without logged

As I have only tried Kabini APU, I wondered if Kaveri APU is 50% faster, 100% or 20% when encoding h264 with the same profile?

I know it depends on the resolution, etc... and how many operations such as loading images faster memory better. The color conversion, alphacomp etc. stream processors few more better but the h264?

There is no information anywhere, or tests.

thanks

pinform

Dear inad,

Sorry for the delayed response.  The following table presents a comparison between the capabilities of Kaveri and Kabini devices:

Kaveri: A10-7850

Kabini: Athlon-5350

Kabini: Sempron 2650

UVD

1080p@60fps

1080p@60fps

1080p@60fps

VCE

1080p@60fps

1080p@60fps

1080p@60fps

GPU

R7

R3 (HD 8400)

R3 (HD 8240)

GPU clock

720 MHz

600 MHz

400 MHz

GCN Radeon Cores

CPU

CPU Clock

1. 3.7GHz
                  2.05 GHz1.45 GHz

L2 Cache

2x2MB

2MB

2MB

Memory

DDR3 - 2133

DDR3 - 1600

DDR3 - 1333

TDP

90W

25W

25W

In terms of encode and decode, both Kaveri and Kabini should provide the same raw performance.  As the GPU power in Kaveri is way superior to that in Kabini, Color Conversion and Alphacomp should work better on Kaveri.  So you need to evaluate how many GFlops or GPU your application requires, and then select the more suitable device.  Current applications should also run better on Kaveri due to the superior DDR and cache.

Kaveri will support OpenCL 2.0, and host-to-GPU memory transfers will also work better.  If cost is not a big constraint, I would recommend picking Kaveri to ensure that your application is future-proof.