2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 1:49 PM by kiwii

'Counter-Strike: Source' Water Lag

sunnybubblegum

I have recently upgraded my graphics card from an Nvidia GeForce GT 240 to an AMD HD 6790. I had no problems with the Steam game 'Counter-Strike: Source' under the previous GPU. However, now, it seems that whenever there is water on a map, there is severe overall lag. I don't know if this occurs exclusively in this situation; there might have been one round where there was no water and it still lagged. The lag and choppiness is so pronounced, it is next to unplayable. However, the lag reduces momentarily when facing away from any pools of water.

Hope this will be addressed in coming driver releases. Regardless, thank you, AMD Linux team, for your work so far on improving AMD Linux drivers.

System specifications:

Ubuntu 12.04.4, 64-bit

Unity Desktop Environment (vanilla)

Asus M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard

Asus BIOS Version 0803

AMD Athlon II X4 645, 3.10 GHz

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6790

Catalyst Control Center Version 2.20

ATI/AMD Proprietary FGLRX Graphics Driver (Post-Release Updates)

• Re: 'Counter-Strike: Source' Water Lag
          sunnybubblegum

Update:

Since writing, I've experienced some exceptions to this behavior that need to be reported.

The water lag is not consistent. I've since played some maps that contained (or were surrounded by) water, in which there was no significant lag.

I've also since played maps in which there seemed to be no water, yet I experienced the heavy lag. On one map I remember, the lag seemed to be emanating from the center -- most of the time. It would sometimes subside by facing away, toward the outer peripheries of the map.

Maybe it was never the water at all, and it was something else.

• Re: 'Counter-Strike: Source' Water Lag
              kiwii

Could still be the water. I experience heavy fps drops in TF2 (which uses the same engine) when I'm near to water and especially when player models touch or enter water. The game is smooth again when I face away from the water.

Arch Linux 64-bit

linux-ck kernel 3.13.11

KDE 4.13.0

Catalyst 14.3

AMD Radeon HD 7870 Ghz Edition